[solved] PXEboot hangs at Downloading Additional Components

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
axessit
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.4?

[solved] PXEboot hangs at Downloading Additional Components

Post#1 by axessit » 12 Oct 2015, 03:42

Running PXEboot on a PC (that works if I install to hard drive), system boots, reports Connection established, but hangs with Performing System Configuration then Downloading Additional Components from the Porteus Kiosk server at the top.

I can't SSH into it at this point, but it will respond to pings.
Last edited by axessit on 14 Oct 2015, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

Re: PXEboot hangs at Downloading Additional Components

Post#2 by axessit » 12 Oct 2015, 03:44

Sorry, I should add I'm using 3.5.0.

When going through the Wizard for a third time, I managed to connect to my remote config and see it OK in a browser.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by axessit » 12 Oct 2015, 22:49

Have tried setup using a 3.4 CD, system now goes through and starts downloading 002-chrome.xzm then errors with MD5sum incorrect.

I have downloaded the 002-chrome.xzm from the porteus public 3.4 folder and checked the MD5 hash and it matches that in the on-line file, so not sure why this is an issue. I thought it would download form the local server, that's what my local webserver logs show.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 13 Oct 2015, 14:06

Hello axessit,

I have updated 3.5.0 ISO and added support for remote management to PXE booting - please download it again. Nested configurations must be used if kiosk configuration differs between the clients.

"I thought it would download form the local server, that's what my local webserver logs show."
Yes - this is the case now but additional components are handled differently so please check UPDATE from pxe doc:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/pxe-server.html

Let me know if you get into troubles.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by axessit » 13 Oct 2015, 23:19

Downloaded new ISO - BTW, shouldn't this be labelled 3.5.1 to stop confusion with previous version ?
installed from new burned CD and started wizard, created ISO in RAMdisk and uploaded, downloaded, then mounted and extracted files and copied to web server.

OK, so it pxeboots, establishes connection and reconfigures OK, then starts the Downloading 002-chrome.xzm component, then comes up with

Detected incorrect md5sum of the 002-chrome.xzm component, downloaded size is:
md5sum is:
comparator is: a16fdd1cfaf063f63fa9b8d3866d7098
Could not perform the installation. Please make sure that the component name is spelled correctly in the remote config.

I have checked the 002-chrome.xzm in the xzm folder, and the checksum was a16fdd1cfaf063f63fa9b8d3866d7098. Downloaded the 002-chrome from the porteus-kisok/public/3.5/ folder and this was a different checksum (9ae1818e18ce1b4d738ed407d639bc8c), so copied this onto my webserver, but still no joy.

In looking at my webserver logs, it is pulling the 002-chrome.xzm off the server when it pxeboots, then it is trying to download from porteus-kisok/public/3.4 site after that, not the 3.5 folder.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 14 Oct 2015, 05:22

"shouldn't this be labelled 3.5.1 to stop confusion with previous version ?"
ISO is updated every few days/weeks and i dont want the people to download it that often just because version number changed. If something is wrong -> you report it -> i fix it -> you download the ISO once again.

"t is trying to download from porteus-kisok/public/3.4 site after that, not the 3.5 folder."
You must have some older components being hosted on your server (initrd.xz, kernel, /docs/version or whatever) which are confusing the system.
Please delete everything and start from a scratch. It works here so must also for you.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

[solved] Re: PXEboot hangs at Downloading Additional Compone

Post#7 by axessit » 14 Oct 2015, 21:25

OK, so I completely removed all previous kiosk.iso files from my Google Drive, downloads folder, removed all files from my webserver and any previous porteus-Kiosk-3.5.0-i486.iso from my PC. Then downloaded again, burnt new CD, booted and configured, created new kiosk.iso, uploaded to G-Drive, downloaded and copied files onto my local webserver and yes, it seems to be all working this time. Thanks.

I suspect that somewhere in all the downloads and files, since they are all the same filename (hence my rationale for bumping the minor version number), was the problem.