Can't save iso [Solved]

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
axessit
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.4?

Can't save iso [Solved]

Post#1 by axessit » 24 Jun 2015, 23:49

I'm trying to save the ISO for a pxeboot image after using the wizard. I've tried using a USB drive, when I get to save, it sees the USB drive and i select it, but when I press Save ISO, it only navigates through the temp root folder. /media is empty like it hasn't mounted the USB stick. I have also tried uploading as per the video, but I get "Access to your local machine is disabled by your administrator", so teh only place it will save is /mnt, but I can't access that to get if off the machine. I can navigate to file://mnt and see it there via the web browser, but settings in the browser are disabled (I'm using Chrome browser). I tried SSHing into the machine to, but it won't answer, or return pings (even though I set it to respond to ICMP).

I tried pressing Skip, but it the exits and shuts down the drives and just brings up a browser.

I'm using Porteous-Kiosk-3.4.0-i486
Last edited by axessit on 28 Jun 2015, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Can't save iso

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Jun 2015, 08:52

whoops - looks like save function is not compatible with Chrome due to its default (much restricted) policies.
will check that in the evening and hopefully provide solution in the next few days.

please stay tuned.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by axessit » 25 Jun 2015, 23:59

Thanks, look forward to it. In the meantime, it all works if I format a hard drive, but I'm hoping to run some diskless pxe workstations (quieter and use some old hardware).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 26 Jun 2015, 05:48

file dialogs in Chrome are unblocked now during installation so its possible to upload /mnt/kiosk.iso.
i have also fixed saving the ISO on usb stick as supposed to run 'sync' before killing the session.

anyway this is how you must do it:
- press 'save ISO' button
- plug usb stick formatted with FAT with one partition only
- wait till it gets automounted
- select folder where the ISO should be saved (must be within /media folder as this is where your stick was automounted)
- press 'save ISO' button

tested and works here.

please download 3.4.0 ISO again and give it a shot.

thank you.

axessit
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Can't save iso [Solved]

Post#5 by axessit » 28 Jun 2015, 22:27

Great, worked this time.

feist
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 4.7.0

Post#6 by feist » 03 Jul 2015, 22:41

I am having the same problem, but I am selecting Firefox at the browser selection screen instead. Once the USB flash drive is inserted, I can see the message at the top states that the drive is mounted at /media. I will save the config file to the /media path and browse the location by clicking on save again to make sure that the file is there. It looks like it is saved properly. I will then save the ISO to the same /media path, and as soon as the ISO is built the computer shuts down automatically.

When I go to pull out the USB flash drive to insert it into another computer, nothing is there.

I am using the standard (not UEFI) Porteus Kiosk 3.4.0 iso.

Update: I kept trying and trying until I finally got one to save properly. Not sure what's going on, but perhaps instead of having Porteus Kiosk shutdown the computer immediately, allow the user a chance to upload the ISO to an online storage first and then have a manual shutdown button or restart build process button?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 04 Jul 2015, 07:08

@feist

few days ago i have updated 3.4.0 ISO to run sync before leaving GUI so all should be good now.
please download base image and try again.