Firefox idle time + dpms enabled

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

Firefox idle time + dpms enabled

Post#1 by Debadr » 13 May 2015, 13:21

Hi all,

In my configuration file i activated the Firefox idle time to 4 min and the DPMS which is 10 min by default.
From what i remarked after testing:
Browsing and doing stuff on Firefox => idle + DPMS working every time i did not move mouse or touch keyboard for 4min for idle or 10 for DPMS.
SSH trough the machine, login, do some commands and logging out from ssh => IDLE + DPMS worked before ssh, ain't working after the ssh login+logout.
VNC (interactive) trough the machine, login, browsing and logout => IDLE + DPMS NOK as ssh connection.

Is it normal because of the process running on the system and not being killed properly ? or it's my hardware ?
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Firefox idle time + dpms enabled

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 May 2015, 08:41

firefox idle works only if mouse/keyboard activity is detected. if there is no activity then firefox wont be restarted (no point and we can save on CPU cycles).
ssh should not be recognized and input activity. vnc yes (i think - never checked myself).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

Post#3 by Debadr » 15 May 2015, 06:47

fanthom wrote:firefox idle works only if mouse/keyboard activity is detected. if there is no activity then firefox wont be restarted (no point and we can save on CPU cycles).
ssh should not be recognized and input activity. vnc yes (i think - never checked myself).
Hi Fanthom,

I am totally agree with the saving CPU cycles + energy, but when the PKE starts up showing the browser with the homepage, i touch the mouse + keyboard to do some tests (opening other windows etc ..)... after that if i don't touch it anymore it works (IDLE + DPMS) and reworks after doing it again. But if i do the same but just with a simple ssh putty login + logout, it wont work anymore, same as vnc (login + logout).

Hopefully the PKE's startup is too fast (15 sec in my case / 20 sec if the conf.txt changes which is GREAT :good: ! ) so i made a PS to all my mates to restart the machine after doing ssh or vnc trough it :)
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 15 May 2015, 08:15

Interesting - will check this.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.