[Solved]Question Not a bug : Ntpdate

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

[Solved]Question Not a bug : Ntpdate

Post#1 by Debadr » 12 May 2015, 09:06

Hi all,

I just want to know how the ntp work on PKE. Is it Synchronizing with the ntp server on booting or every x minutes ? and how to confirm the using of my ntp instead of someone else or even the timezone configured ?

Here is a part of my configuration file :

Code: Select all

connection=wired
   network_interface=eth0
   dhcp=yes
   ntp_server=19x.16x.13x.25x
   timezone=Europe/Paris
PS: When i put the ntpserver without the timezone, my machines take the BIOS clock/date.
The ntpdate ntpserver.org CLI works :

Code: Select all

ntpdate ntp.myntp.org
12 May 11:09:02 ntpdate[1536]: adjust time server 19x.16x.13x.25x offset 0.093213 sec
Thank you for help :)
Last edited by Debadr on 12 May 2015, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Question Not a bug : Ntpdate

Post#2 by fanthom » 12 May 2015, 09:10

Is it Synchronizing with the ntp server on booting or every x minutes ?
only during boot and it saves the time to RTC so its enough if you boot the kiosk once (unless your hardware clock is broken).

if cli command works then everything is ok (ntp server is reachable and your firewall does not block ntp protocol).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

Re: Question Not a bug : Ntpdate

Post#3 by Debadr » 12 May 2015, 09:40

fanthom wrote: Is it Synchronizing with the ntp server on booting or every x minutes ?
only during boot and it saves the time to RTC so its enough if you boot the kiosk once (unless your hardware clock is broken).

if cli command works then everything is ok (ntp server is reachable and your firewall does not block ntp protocol).
My kiosks will shutdown and boot everyday so it's ok. I just needed a confirmation about the working of ntp.

Thank you for your help. :)
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...