Kiosk can't reach .local domain (mDNS, avahi-daemon)

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
ccortezia
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: ubuntu 14.04

Kiosk can't reach .local domain (mDNS, avahi-daemon)

Post#1 by ccortezia » 05 May 2015, 13:39

First of all, since this is my first post, my sincere compliments to the community: this distro is simply awesome.

I am trying to setup a LAN served kiosk, without any access to internet.
For that, my kiosk_config (and homepage, and wallpaper) on config file pointed to a local static ip address in my network, and things worked just great and fine.
Thing is, I don't want to rely on a static IP configuration since the server network configuration will be beyond my reach.

What I am trying to do with no success is to point to "server-hostname.local" (the name published by avahi-daemon).
Changing only the homepage field will present me a firefox message: "Firefox can't find the server at http://www.server-hostname.local" (note the intruder www on the URL)

What am I missing ?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk can't reach .local domain (mDNS, avahi-daemon)

Post#2 by fanthom » 05 May 2015, 14:11

this is a known issue of local domains not being resolved correctly in kiosk by default:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4451

are you able to remaster the kiosk ISO yourself? if yes then please add following firefox preferences to it:

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.fixup.alternate.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.fixup.domainwhitelist.some-domain", true);
user_pref("browser.fixup.domainwhitelist.other-domain", true);
if that wont work then please try this preference (please mind that it will disable searching through the address bar):

user_pref("keyword.enabled", false);
these tricks will work only for firefox so you can browse intranet pages with it. unfortunately remote kiosk config is downloaded through wget and in this case you have to use static IP as i'm not aware of any solution for wget:

kiosk_config=192.168.1.101/kiosk/config1.txt
any advises are welcome.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ccortezia
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by ccortezia » 05 May 2015, 14:40

are you able to remaster the kiosk ISO yourself?
Did not try yet. Any good pointer on where to learn how to ?

Regarding the reported issue, suposing it is a known bug, is there a thread with more information on what has been investigated and tried so far ?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 06 May 2015, 08:26

Any good pointer on where to learn how to ?
please try here:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html

Regarding the reported issue, suposing it is a known bug, is there a thread with more information on what has been investigated and tried so far ?
i have linked it in my previous post

ccortezia
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by ccortezia » 06 May 2015, 15:31

Oh, sure. I didn't see the link, sorry for that.

moakes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: None

Post#6 by moakes » 20 Jul 2015, 22:18

Also, make sure when you name your kiosk, you append .local to the name. Fore example: kiosk.domain.local

fabizeid
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk thin client

Post#7 by fabizeid » 11 Oct 2016, 17:16

Has this issue been resolved? Does the Kiosk Thin Client even support avahi-daemon? I tried to ping a domain.local from a thin client (through ssh) but I did not get a reply. Tried pinging from an ubuntu desktop and it worked. The domain.local host is defined in another ubuntu server.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 11 Oct 2016, 17:34

Hello fabizeid,

"Does the Kiosk Thin Client even support avahi-daemon?"
It currently does not support avahi. Please explain why it would be needed and i'll consider adding it for next release.

"I tried to ping a domain.local from a thin client (through ssh) but I did not get a reply."
Perhaps you need to setup static hostname aliases:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/parameters.htm ... me_aliases

Thank you.

fabizeid
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk thin client

Post#9 by fabizeid » 14 Oct 2016, 01:33

Thanks for the quick reply. I was under the impression that if the author of the original message in the thread (ccortezia) followed the directions you gave regarding firefox settings then his problem of having Porteus Kiosk resolve local domain names published by avahi would be fixed. My problem is similar to his. I am volunteering at few refugee camps and using Kiosk as a thin client on old donated laptops to teach STEM classes (code.org, khan academy). I have khan lite (https://learningequality.org/ka-lite/) on a local server (which itself is a laptop) but have no access to the router. Furthermore, I use the same laptops in different schools/camps. For now I have a workaround by picking a static ip address that is hopefully (since I can't check the actual range in the router) outside the dhcp range. (On a different note when I change managed bookmarks on a remote config file, the bookmarks are not getting updated, it did work few times before so I am still trying to figure out the conditions for when it stops working).