Laptop Wireless does not connect

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
MallocArray
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.2

Laptop Wireless does not connect

Post#1 by MallocArray » 09 Jan 2015, 17:46

We are trying to use Porteus Kiosk 3.2 (Downloaded on 01-08-2015) on an HP Elitebook 2730p with the built-in wireless card. It is able to see all available wireless networks, but when we try to join a hidden SSID and enter all of the correct information, it cannot connect. (This is using AES and not TKIP) We have another SSID that is visible, but it uses WPA2-Enterprise and from what I can tell, Porteus does not support WPA2-Enterprise?

How do we go about troubleshooting why it can see the various SSID's, but will not connect to a known hidden SSID? Any more details logs other than it just showing that it is unable to connect and throwing us back to the selection screen for wired or wireless?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Laptop Wireless does not connect

Post#2 by Ed_P » 09 Jan 2015, 18:46

Are you using Firefox? Try Opera.

If Opera supports signing on try a shortened password, about 10 characters, with FireFox.
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 09 Jan 2015, 19:06

hello MallocArray,

when we try to join a hidden SSID and enter all of the correct information, it cannot connect.
some drivers does not support hidden SSIDs. please install kiosk using ethernet cable, enable 'debug mode' and send generated report to me on support@porteus-kioks.org. once done i'll try to find an answer for you.

from what I can tell, Porteus does not support WPA2-Enterprise?
it would be extremely appreciated if someone would help me implementing this as i have no direct access to such infrastructure.
i have made a custom build for WPA2-Enterprise already but the user reported that it did not work. i wasnt sure about some variables and this could be the reason. here is the wpa_supplicant config i have used:

Code: Select all

# WPA2 Enterprise
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
scan_ssid=0
ssid="XXXX"
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
eap=PEAP
identity="XXXX"
password="XXXX"
ca_cert=""
phase1="peapver=0"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
the variables i wasnt sure are:
scan_ssid= (0 or 1?)
peapver= (0 or 1 or peaplabel=0 ?)

if you are interested in helping me with this then please contact me through support@porteus-kioks.org and i'll deliver a build for testing once we figure out proper config syntax.

thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

MallocArray
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.2

Post#4 by MallocArray » 09 Jan 2015, 19:27

Thanks Fathom.

We will get on putting this together for you.

We would be willing to test out WPA2-Enterprise as well. I'll send you an e-mail.