[Solved] Kiosk edition - long mac address getting DHCP lease

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
jonm76
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

[Solved] Kiosk edition - long mac address getting DHCP lease

Post#1 by jonm76 » 07 Jul 2014, 17:41

Not sure if this is a bug, but I'm not sure where else to turn. I didn't see anything in the forum about anyone else having this issue, but please forgive me if I didn't search thoroughly enough.

Here's what is happening:

I'm running Kiosk Edition (don't remember the version, but I built it via this site on 6/19/2014). On some machines, everything is fine. On others, when obtaining a DHCP lease, it uses an extremely long MAC address (Currently, one station is saying that its MAC is FF:5B:91:9B:79:00:01:00:01:1B:4D:03:24:44:8A:5B:91:9B:79) I've had this station in two different environments--one used Win2003 DHCP server, and one used embedded DHCP server on an Adtran Netvanta switch--with the same results. The strange thing is that the address seems to change. The last section of it remains the same (and matches the true MAC address) but the remainder changes each time you boot the machine.

The net effect is that it consumes a lease every time the machine is rebooted. At the moment, I've set the lease durations down to 15 minutes so that my pool isn't depleted by reboots, but I'm hoping to find the root cause.

I'll also say that I'm not entirely certain that the problem isn't hardware related. This particular machine is a custom build with an MSI motherboard. I've searched for non O/S specific problems related to the hardware, but I've come up short there also. Unfortunately, I can't pull the machine for testing at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
Last edited by jonm76 on 12 Aug 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Kiosk edition uses long mac address when getting DHCP le

Post#2 by fanthom » 07 Jul 2014, 20:53

hi Jon,

how are you finding these long MAC addresses? are you doing PXE boot maybe? is correct (short) MAC shown when you login to the kiosk through ssh and run:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/net/eth0/address
thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jonm76
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by jonm76 » 08 Jul 2014, 12:58

That does list the correct MAC on my production machine (44:8a:5b:91:9b:79). Where I see the extended MAC is on my DHCP servers--very strange. I've never seen anything like it. So from this, it would appear that Kiosk is reading the MAC correctly from the hardware. I'm not using PXE. I'm booting from an 8mb USB flash drive. The odd part is that the listing on the DHCP server changes at each boot. For instance, I booted a different machine twice this morning (built a 2nd machine with the same motherboard to test), and the MAC listed in the DHCP server changed from:
5b919cad000100011b4e056d448a5b919cad
to:
5b919cad000100011b4f129e448a5b919cad

The MAC of this machine is 44:8a:5b:91:9c:ad, so to me it looks like there are three parts to this long address. Part 3 is the real MAC. Part 1 is 5b:91:9c:ad:00:01:00:01:1b, and does not change. Part 2 changes with each reboot (in this instance from 4e:05:6d to 4f:12:9e. This seems to be following the hardware, so I'm going to do some more digging on that. It just seems very strange that the OS sees the correct MAC but registers the incorrect one with DHCP. I'll post more when I can, but any ideas would certainly help.

Thanks,
Jon

jonm76
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by jonm76 » 08 Jul 2014, 16:03

More info:
I just tried disabling the onboard NIC and adding an old SMC 10/100 card and got the same results. I've also tried booting a 3rd machine with completely different hardware and have gotten the same results. Interestingly, I've tried attaching this 3rd machine to an old 4-port Linksys router with DHCP turned on. When it pulled its address from the linksys, the lease record on the Linksys showed the correct MAC.

I've read in a couple places that certain DHCP clients will concatenate a unique client ID to the MAC and send it as the DHCP ID to the DHCP server. Is it possible that Porteus is doing this and the difference is that the Linksys DHCP server is lacking extended functionality which my other DHCP servers have?

-Jon

lorenzo33
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus kiosk 3.1.1

Post#5 by lorenzo33 » 27 Jul 2014, 07:01

Hey Jon,

I have exactly the same matter.
We are using porteus-kiosk with PXE configuration.

We have this infrastructure :
Windows 2008R2 server with this settings :
- DHCP Server installing
Scope allowed with ip address reservation
- Apache Web service installing (listen on port 8090)
- WDS Server installing

The client computer normaly boot on PXE Porteus-Kiosk image but after display a Network Connection error (could not established the network connexion).

Before a network analysis, we could see that porteus-kiosk image sent a DHCP client Discover packet but that DHCP client not receive a DHCP Offer.

We changed DHCP scope option without ip reservation and before a reboot of client porteus-kiosk image obtain an ip address and don't display network error message.
But the hardward identifier is not formated properly.

My originaly mac address is 08002778e6b0

Although, mac adress is formated with a randomized mac as following : 2778e6b0000100011b64b1a508002778e6b0
2778e6b0 => a part of my physical mac address
000100011b64b1a50 => a randomized number
08002778e6b0 => my physical mac addres.

It's a really big problem because we must use ip reservation with my client and this system use all ip address avalaible

jonm76
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by jonm76 » 06 Aug 2014, 15:13

Hi Lorenzo,
That's exactly my problem. I've seen this on two different DHCP servers. One is Windows 2012 Standard, and the other is an embedded DHCP server on an AdTran ethernet switch. Interestingy, the kiosk PC that caused a problem with those two registered correctly when I used the embedded DHCP server on an old Linksys home router.

I'm currently running into this problem with a machine using a Realtek NIC, but I also tried installing an old SMC card and got the same results. My project is stalled at the moment due to another barrier, but I still need to resolve this one. The only other interesting thing about this machine is that it is a newer motherboard (MSI Model A55M-E33), so it uses UEFI rather than the standard bios. I can't see how that would affect the NIC (especially the old SMC), but I'm completely at a loss.

Out of curiosity, what hardware are you using to run kiosk?
-Jon

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 12 Aug 2014, 07:59

maybe it's related to the way the client identifies on the server?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh ... Identifier

please edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf from 001-core.xzm as follows to force MAC identification instead of duid:

Code: Select all

# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
#duid
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jonm76
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by jonm76 » 12 Aug 2014, 17:53

Thanks Fathom!

This is exactly what the problem was! Changing it took me a little while, but that's just because I'm a Porteus noob.

Technically, I don't think this was really a bug because the software was doing what it was being told to do, but it is interesting that the DUID changed at each boot.

I'll follow up with some documentation about how I implemented the change.

Thanks again!
Jon

jonm76
White ninja
White ninja

Re: [Solved] Kiosk edition - long mac address getting DHCP l

Post#9 by jonm76 » 12 Aug 2014, 18:13

Follow-up -- Here's what I did:

1) Downloaded Porteus 3.0.1 ISO with dev tools (full, not kiosk edition) and installed as a VM using VMware player (but a standalone PC would work just as well.)

2) Mounted a copy of my current kiosk image and followed the directions to unsquash 001-core.xzm:
mkdir /tmp/000
xzm2dir /path/to/001-core.xzm /tmp/000

3) Edited /tmp/000/etc/dhcpcd.conf to reflect the following:
# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
#duid

4) Executed sh /tmp/000/make_iso.sh
5) Downloaded syslinux (using USM. Must search for it by keyword.)
6) Executed sh ./isohybrid /tmp/Porteus-Kiosk.iso (isohybrid is in the usr/bin directory of the syslinux package)
7) After that, I just used win32diskimager to write it back to the flash drive, and it worked perfectly!

I’m sure there are probably better ways to do this, but I wanted to document what worked for me in case it is helpful to someone else…or to me when I forget later on (which is more likely!)

Thanks again!
Jon

lorenzo33
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus kiosk 3.1.1

Re: [Solved] Kiosk edition - long mac address getting DHCP l

Post#10 by lorenzo33 » 02 Sep 2014, 11:44

Thanks Jon !

It works perfectly ! Go Porteus-Kiosk in the University !