Wifi not working kiosk V3.1

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
kwelch
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus kiosk 3.1

Wifi not working kiosk V3.1

Post#1 by kwelch » 29 May 2014, 16:39

okay, so obviously i am a noob to porteus but im also a noob to linux in general. i had used porteus in a test run before the wizard was built into the ISO and it worked perfectly. since the new update however, i have not been able to connect to any WIFI networks. i have tried multiple networks, computers and ISO's to no avail. porteus just states that i could not establish a connection and restarts the wizard. I can see all of my SSID's in the area i just cannot connect. If anybody has any information that may be useful i would really appreciate some input. thanks in advance for any and all help on this topic.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Wifi not working kiosk V3.1

Post#2 by fanthom » 29 May 2014, 17:36

will check it tomorrow - thanks for reporting.

btw: please use kiosk section of the forum:
Porteus Specialized Editions
will move this thread there once you see my response.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

kwelch
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by kwelch » 29 May 2014, 18:52

thank you for the quick reply and sorry for posting in the wrong section.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 29 May 2014, 21:14

this bug is fixed now.
unfortunately i had to update 003-settings.xzm inside the image so please download the kiosk ISO once again:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/Porteus ... 1-i486.iso

this fix went to the 'automatic updates' channel so subscribers will get it automatically (no need to download/recreate the ISOs):
http://porteus-kiosk.org/changelog-auto ... dates.html

once again - thanks a lot for reporting.

kwelch
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by kwelch » 29 May 2014, 23:04

the fix seemed to have work. i am also having an issue booting porteus on my toshiba tecra A8 laptop. once the modules load i just get a blank screen with a cursor. i did notice that this OS doesnt play nice with certain video drivers. i was hoping you could confirm whether or not i am using one of those drivers. let me know if you would rather i create a new thread for this issue.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 30 May 2014, 07:40

yes please add [SOLVED] to this thread title and start a new one for the GPU driver issue.

please boot any linux box on affected PC (preferably Porteus desktop edition) and provide output of 'lspci -knn' command.
if this is not possible then please provide a link to PC specs.

thanks

kwelch
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by kwelch » 30 May 2014, 15:13

Before marking this solved i would like to note that in order to connect to my network i generally have to run the wizard a couple of times, even with the update. i read somewhere that you have to give the driver some time to install and so im hoping that's all it is. just thought i would bring that to your attention.

kwelch
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by kwelch » 30 May 2014, 21:16

so, while this did fix my connectivity issue on a few of my laptops such as my HP probook and my toshiba tecra a6's i have some toshiba tecra a2's that are still not connecting. they see the networks but are just unable to connect. if you need more specific info let me know.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 31 May 2014, 09:12

i would like to note that in order to connect to my network i generally have to run the wizard a couple of times, even with the update.
tried 6 times and no problems here. probably it's wifi chipset/driver related so let's leave this bug opened till someone confirm success/fail.

i have some toshiba tecra a2's that are still not connecting.
probably missing firmware or a driver issue . please boot porteus desktop edition on this hardware -> run 'psinfo' command in terminal -> upload raport to pastebin.com and link here.

thank you.

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by sanzi » 05 Nov 2014, 10:45

I have a similar problem. With the older version of Porteus Kiosk (v2.1) everything is perfect. With the new V3.1.2 version my TP-Link TL-WN422G USB wifi card does not work. The interesting thing is when I configure the Kiosk Wizard the Wifi works. I can configure WiFi network specification, check home page and wallpaper, and the Wizard can download the other xzm files - like ssh and java -. But when everything is done, I write my system to a hard drive and reset my computer, and the wifi can not connect to my network. What is wrong?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#11 by fanthom » 05 Nov 2014, 12:29

@sanzi
please follow instructions posted here:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 034#p29034
please send info/image on support@porteus-kiosk.org.

thank you

EDIT:
just checked and kiosk+wifi works ok on my laptop.
maybe there is some older kiosk installation on some other media which is found and used during boot?
please boot any linux on this PC, run 'blkid' command and wipe every '/dev/sdX: LABEL="Porteus-Kiosk" TYPE="iso9660"' with following command:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=10
for next release i'll make sure that kiosk boots from the right media even when there are multiple installations around.