Flash Video displaying incorrectly on another Intel card.

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Pyriana
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: PKE 2.0.2

Flash Video displaying incorrectly on another Intel card.

Post#1 by Pyriana » 23 Sep 2013, 04:20

I'm having the same issue I had in a previous thread with a different computer. (I actually have many of these computers, so getting it working on this would be ideal.) The thing is, it worked before 2.1 (with the UXA configuration)

You asked me for cpuinfo before, here it is for this computer.

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up pebs bts
Here is lspci -knn

mint@mint ~ $ lspci -knn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2560] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    Kernel modules: intel-agp
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation Device [0e11:00b8]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:24c2] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:24c4] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:24cd] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev 81)
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:24c0] (rev 01)
    Kernel modules: iTCO_wdt, intel-rng
00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller [8086:24cb] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller [8086:24c3] (rev 01)
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:24c5] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation Analog Devices Inc. codec [SoundMAX] [0e11:00b8]
    Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
    Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
05:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VM (LOM) Ethernet Controller [8086:103b] (rev 81)
    Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation Device [0e11:0012]
    Kernel driver in use: e100
    Kernel modules: e100
And here is my /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

And having the below code in /porteus/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-uxa.conf doesn't work. If I have to change it for every video card that is slightly oddball, that's gonna be a problem and I need to come up with another solution.

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Intel 945GME GPU"
       Driver "intel"
       Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
    EndSection

gdkwest
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Flash Video displaying incorrectly on another Intel card

Post#2 by gdkwest » 23 Sep 2013, 04:45

Hello all,

I am working with Pyriana regarding this distro. I work for a state youth correctional agency and we are repurposing state surplus computers to go back into the youth correctional facilities. We have done quite a bit of research and find that the Porteus Kiosk fits the need for this project. We have about 40 computers to repurpose with the Kiosk on them. Loaded on the HD are 6 college classes normally accessible on the internet. However, the facilities are restricted from allowing the youth on the internet while in a secure facility. That is where Porteus came into the picture.

We have about 12 other states watching closely on this project and we have already deployed these on 6 computers. But we have quite a few that use a slightly different hardware configuration. These are the Compaq EVO-D51c systems. Operating with 1.8Ghz P4 processor and 1GB memory.

The systems that have been deployed are working great and we have other living units ready to receive the systems if we can overcome this dilemma. After walking through creating the hybrid image and re-imaging on the hard drives, the Kiosk text is scrambled and unreadable. It is also slow to load as compared to other systems. Pyriana thinks it may be a video driver issue. I also believe it may be some legacy driver issue that is missing from the build.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Those who have looked at the kiosk with the college content loaded are quite impressed with this method to deliver college content inside the correctional environment. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Respectfully, gdkwest

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#3 by fanthom » 23 Sep 2013, 08:51

hi guys,

looks like intel is giving us a lot of troubles. from the attached Xorg.log (Mint OS) i see that intel driver is not being used at all and generic 'fbdev' is picked up instead.

you could do 2 things:
a) use modesetting driver instead of intel (this driver should work for every intel, amd, nvidia GPU but without any acceleration). to try it please edit /porteus/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-uxa.conf as follows:

Section "Device"
Identifier "card0"
Driver "modesetting"
EndSection
also - please change 'Identifier' to match your GPU. you could boot porteus standard edition with 'cliexec=xconf' cheatcode and read this value from /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

b) if above wont work then please try older intel driver from here:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.slackw ... i486-1.txz
please unpack content of this package to /porteus/rootcopy and create new ISO (/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-uxa.conf is not needed).

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Pyriana
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Pyriana » 23 Sep 2013, 18:47

Thanks for your quick response, I'm going to try the 2nd solution for now for two reasons. I would prefer not to have to change the identifier to match the gpu for every different computer out there that has this issue (as re-building the image takes about an hour), and the other reason being on these older/slow computers, turning off gpu acceleration could be pretty rough when it comes to viewing flash. Some of these pcs have as little as 256 mb of ram (and possibly less) and are p4's or lower, in general.

I'll let you know if the solution works, again, thanks for the quick response.

Pyriana
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Pyriana » 24 Sep 2013, 01:28

Okay, so initially I tried solution B. I extracted the files into my rootcopy folder which created an /installs directory and added to my already existing /usr directory (I change the splash screen/desktop at the start). What ended up happening after creating this image is I get a black screen on bootup (no splash/desktop background) and the mouse works, but nothing else.

So I tried your first solution to see if that would work, from what I could tell my identifier was card0, I checked this in mint, though, not porteus, and in order to do this I had to /etc/init.d/gdm stop and then Xorg -configure, rather than X -configure if my memory serves me correctly. Either way, this created that xorg.conf file (technically xorg.conf.new in this case) which said card0 was the Identifier.

So after putting that in a 10-uxa.conf file in the specified directory it starts loading Porteus (the text at the top displays) but has been stuck on that for at least 20 minutes now.

I just learned today that we have some other computers (that work fine with porteus kiosk) to fall back on for now, but we have about 18 of these computers that we will need to get it on eventually, on top of that we're getting another 40 computers donated to us for this project in the next month or so.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 24 Sep 2013, 08:34

hi Pyriana,

probably wrong perms or paths inside /rootcopy are causing this. please upload your ISO(s) and i'll check them.

Pyriana
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Pyriana » 24 Sep 2013, 09:16

While I can't upload the ISO (it's 28 gb), here is the file path in red at the top of this picture.

http://i41.tinypic.com/wsvhnp.png

And here are the permissions.

[pyriana@localhost xorg.conf.d]$ ls -l 10-uxa.conf 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71 Sep 23 15:56 10-uxa.conf

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 24 Sep 2013, 19:44

i'll check older intel driver (xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-i486-1.txz) with kiosk on my laptop and upload the ISO so you can check if it works on your old PCs.

EDIT:\\
this driver works ok for me on i3 laptop (UXA acceleration is set as default). please download to /porteus/modules and create new ISO:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/testing/xf ... i486-1.xzm