Device not ready yet? Delaying x seconds.

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Device not ready yet? Delaying x seconds.

Post#16 by fanthom » 06 Jun 2013, 09:09

my guess is that you have some older Kiosk burned somewhere (hd, usb or even in second CD bay) and this older version gets found by instead of the latest one (sgn does not match and you get a fail)

i have updated ISO + wizard on the server (without version bump) and hopefully this issue is resolved now.
please try and let us know.

if version produced by the wizard wont work (for some reason) then please also try default one:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/packages/k ... 4-i486.iso
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jmalon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Linux Mint

Post#17 by jmalon » 07 Jun 2013, 16:42

Did you try to boot our default Kiosk 2.0.4 ISO on this PC? -- Yes, same error message when trying to boot on the Optiplex 755. The same CD boots successfully on the IBM ThinkCentre 8090-22U. The version is porteus-kiosk-v2.0.4-i486.iso 2013-Jun-06 11:30:06.

In the Optiplex 755, I've verified I can boot other CDs including Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Linux Mint 15 MATE (64-bit), Memtest 86+, and Webconverger 9.1.

The hardware is an Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0 Ghz with 7 GB of memory - to be my desktop system one of these days.

jmalon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#18 by jmalon » 07 Jun 2013, 18:44

I just downloaded the latest wizard and customized it. The ISO image boots in Virtualbox. The CD boots in the IBM but not in the 755.

In the 755, the hard drive is disconnected and turned off in the BIOS. There are no USB devices connected to it and no other CD-ROM devices, so there are no other boot devices.

The CD-ROM drive is SATA based. I wonder if that makes a difference?

jmalon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#19 by jmalon » 07 Jun 2013, 19:04

Making progress...

I've dd'ed the customized image to a flash drive and booted it on the 755. I've disabled the SATA CD-ROM drive in the BIOS. I power on the 755 and briefly get a "No device found AHCI BIOS not installed" message (not a PKE issue). PKE boots properly but Firefox gives me a "The server is refusing connections." message. I click "Try again" and the desired homepage comes up. After I login to Paychex a Flash button appears at the bottom of the screen (ria_core_client_bootstrap.swf) and I have to click on it to continue.

So this customized image works, but not from the CD.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#20 by fanthom » 08 Jun 2013, 11:16

PKE boots properly but Firefox gives me a "The server is refusing connections." message. I click "Try again" and the desired homepage comes up.
ok - i may bring back a delay before starting Xorg to avoid this.
After I login to Paychex a Flash button appears at the bottom of the screen (ria_core_client_bootstrap.swf) and I have to click on it to continue.
you can disable flashblock addon in the wizard options
The CD boots in the IBM but not in the 755.
so it definitely must be a controller issue. lets do this test once again:
- please boot 2.0.4 on Optiplex 755
- once you get a failure please run 'blkid' and make sure you can see '/dev/sr0: LABEL="Porteus-Kiosk" TYPE="iso9660"'
- if you get it then please run:

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/test
mount /dev/sr0 /tmp/test
ls /tmp/test/porteus
please confirm that above test passes.

the thing is that i still dont get why you can do this manually and script cant (possible a delay is needed to initialize CD but we have 10 seconds which should be enough).

thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jmalon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#21 by jmalon » 10 Jun 2013, 20:55

so it definitely must be a controller issue. lets do this test once again:
- please but 2.0.4 on Optiplex 755
- once you get a failure please run 'blkid' and make sure you can see '/dev/sr0: LABEL="Porteus-Kiosk" TYPE="iso9660"'
- if you get it then please run:

mkdir /tmp/test
mount /dev/sr0 /tmp/test
ls /tmp/test/porteus
please confirm that above test passes.

the thing is that i still dont get why you can do this manually and script cant (possible a delay is needed to initialize CD but we have 10 seconds which should be enough).

1. The blkid command returns /dev/sr0: LABEL="Porteus-Kiosk" TYPE="iso9660"

2. I did the following and it returns a listing of GNU_CPL, make_iso.sh, rootcopy, License.txt, modules, base, and porteus_kiosk_v2.0.4.sgn.

mkdir /tmp/test
mount /dev/sr0 /tmp/test -----> at this point I can hear the CD-ROM drive spin up
ls /tmp/test/porteus
3. I did this with both the CD I created and the porteus_kiosk_v2.0.4-i486.iso file with the same results.

4. I don't know if this helps you any but, the BIOS on the 755 is version A19. In the BIOS, the SATA Operation mode is set to AHCI which is the factory default. Also, the CD-ROM is attached to SATA-1.

Thank you for your work on this.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#22 by Hamza » 10 Jun 2013, 21:13

I'm thinking about slow device issue.
NjVFQzY2Rg==