record video, playback no sound

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Johnvt
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: slackware

Post#1 by Johnvt » 16 Jan 2024, 01:18

I'm trying to use this site in my kiosk, with Firefox. Basically it lets you record video messages (with audio). You can record, then playback, then save the video if you like it or re-record it. The playback part isn't working right. Your recorded video plays but there is no sound. The sound IS being recorded though, because if you go to the upload gallery afterwords and play the video - it works and there is sound. It plays normally.

I tried to debug it but didn't get very far. It appears to be webm blobs using VP8 video codec and Opus audio codec.
I tried this website from other computers running other operating systems, using Firefox, and it works fine.

https://videobooth.app/testbook1111111

Any ideas?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2024, 08:08

John,

I need to verify that our system has all required codecs included.
Please send me a sample video to info@porteus-kiosk.org.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Johnvt
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Johnvt » 16 Jan 2024, 18:33

Ok I did some more debugging. Firefox will play this video with sound if i save it to file and come back to it later. So I opened firefox on a shell so I could see the console output. Then I went and tried the website again. This error comes up when you try to playback the video. Looks like the sound playback device is not available:

Code: Select all

[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: can't open playback device "default". Error code -16 (Device or resource busy)
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: failed to open ALSA device. Apulse does no resampling or format conversion, leaving that task to ALSA plugins. Ensure that selected device is capable of playing a particular sample format at a particular rate. They have to be supported by either hardware directly, or by "plug" and "dmix" ALSA plugins which will perform required conversions on CPU.
[Child 5805, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: 7f63f5555ca0 OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/dom/media/AudioStream.cpp:281
[Child 5805, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f63f6087400 [OnMediaSinkAudioError]: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp:3979
Last edited by Ed_P on 16 Jan 2024, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Code tags

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2024, 20:11

Perhaps this webpage does not release the sound device after recording? Thats why its kept busy?
Sounds like a webpage bug to me.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Johnvt
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Johnvt » 17 Jan 2024, 00:06

I think you are right - though the website does work on other OS'es. How does Porteus Kiosk do sound does it use ALSA? What is apulse ? I wonder if I could configure it to share the sound device better.

Johnvt
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by Johnvt » 17 Jan 2024, 01:52

I have some success. I tried to get apulse/ALSA to use dmix so that the sound device can be shared. It worked. I use this for /etc/asound.conf

pcm.!default {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix"
}
capture.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
}
}