Kiosk Server Client List

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
RangeR
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Server

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#1 by RangeR » 06 Oct 2020, 13:15

Could you think about implementing one or more of the following in the Kiosk Server Client List. It's not the end of the world, but it's quite slow trying to find individual clients when there are many.

1. Make columns sortable by clicking on the heading. Sort by IP or Host or Version etc.
2. Implement a search or filter.
3. Columns seem to be variable width. So if a client is offline, some text for that client shifts to the left. Can columns be made fixed width?
4. Colour code. Is it possible to colour code based on, maybe, browser version or kiosk version or just online/offline.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#2 by fanthom » 06 Oct 2020, 13:30

Hello RangeR,

1) and 2) are implemented already, please click on the 'View' menu in the Admin Panel.

3) and 4) wont be possible to implement at the moment.

I'm moving your post to appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Dimitri
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: kiosk 4.8

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#3 by Dimitri » 01 Sep 2022, 17:19

one additional request. An editable column would be great. I'd love to assign a name to each client without creating a nested table for each one. My config file is already a mile long making it difficult to find a particular client.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#4 by fanthom » 02 Sep 2022, 07:57

Dimitri,

Hostname is the best client descriptor. Its visible in the Admin Panel, when you connect to the kiosk over SSH, in the DHCP logs, etc.

Besides - there is no need to make the config edits on PK Server. You could edit the config in your favorite editor under Windows and copy parameters over VNC to PK Server.
This way you will always have a config backup on your local PC.

Thanks

Dimitri
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: kiosk 4.8

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#5 by Dimitri » 02 Sep 2022, 20:05

Bear with me. I want to be sure i'm understanding. If I use external editor wouldn't i still have a really long list of nested configs?

I'd also be adding several additional steps every time I added a client?
  • Retrieve hardware ID from server
    Paste into external editor and create nested config.
    Copy and paste back into server??
If I misunderstood please let me know.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kiosk Server Client List

Post#6 by fanthom » 03 Sep 2022, 07:37

Dimitri,

You wrote about difficulties with finding particular client in the config:
"My config file is already a mile long making it difficult to find a particular client."

1) I understand you search for it in order to change nested parameters which applies to it?
If there are more parameters than hostname in the nested area of the config than tagging feature you requested wont help (you still need to use nested configs for handling the extra parameters).

External editor comes handy in this case as it lets you to search for specific hostname, replace strings with another in the whole config, etc.

2) If you do not use any other parameters and want to assign only a hostname to the client then you can do the edits directly on PK Server.
Keep an empty template in your config:

Code: Select all

[[  ]]
hostname=
then duplicate it and fill two fields in the template.
Should not take longer than 30 seconds.

BTW: you can export the clients list on Admin Panel and copy PCID from it - no need to type it manually to the config.

Thanks