Customising Printing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
mcmurchy1917
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Customising Printing

Post#1 by mcmurchy1917 » 27 Aug 2014, 12:40

Further to my post on Customising Printing in the "User's modifications to the Kiosk ISO"
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3755

Would it be possible to change the Porteus Kiosk wizard to always create a user.js file in the directory /home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/ when the printing option has been selected in the wizard

The file user.js will indicate the preferred print_paper_name for the installations locale. For Europe, which includes Britain, this will be

user_pref("print.print_paper_name", "iso_a4");

For other locales could either not include the file at all or set the preference to the correct setting for letter sized paper.

The above suggestion doesn't require any changes to the user interface of the wizard.

It may not be necessary to include all the detail of the user.js file or might be better to just update the prefs.js file thus leaving the user.js file free for other site specific printing options.

Alex

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Customising Printing

Post#2 by fanthom » 27 Aug 2014, 16:46

there is no way of doing it automatically. even if user select a timezone in Europe (or any other setting) he may still want to use US paper.
there must be a menu which will allow to select the paper size.

it's on my TODO list for next kiosk release already. hopefully i'll be able to make it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.