Kiosk 64-bit edition

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
gilmotta
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk

Kiosk 64-bit edition

Post#1 by gilmotta » 04 Feb 2014, 17:18

Hello there!

I would like to start using the Kiosk edition but where do I select 32-bit or 64-bit version? the wizard does not provide such an option and I saw a comment that it will run on both 32 and 64bit which led me to believe that the Kiosk edition is always 32-bit which is definitely compatible with 64bit.

If possible, I would like to run with 64-bit. Please let me know.

Regards,
Gil :good:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk 64-bit edition

Post#2 by fanthom » 04 Feb 2014, 21:10

hi Gil,

correct - kiosk is 32bit only.
64bits has no advantage in such limited environment. the only reason for using it would be a support for 4GB+ of RAM but i dont think it's that important when only firefox is running.

if more users request 4GB+ RAM support then i'll switch arch to i586 and enable PAE by default.

btw: moving thread to Kiosk's Development section.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

gilmotta
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk

Post#3 by gilmotta » 04 Feb 2014, 21:18

fanthom wrote:hi Gil,

correct - kiosk is 32bit only.
64bits has no advantage in such limited environment. the only reason for using it would be a support for 4GB+ of RAM but i dont think it's that important when only firefox is running.

if more users request 4GB+ RAM support then i'll switch arch to i586 and enable PAE by default.

btw: moving thread to Kiosk's Development section.
Thanks Fanthom! I understand your point, I think it makes sense. From my angle, I intend to play videos using HTML5 and maybe the 64-bit architecture would help with the video decoding better than 32-bit, what do you think? Anyway in my case I'm developing digital signage software and HTML5 video is growing pretty fast. But hey I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Gil :good:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 04 Feb 2014, 21:25

I intend to play videos using HTML5 and maybe the 64-bit architecture would help with the video decoding better than 32-bit, what do you think?
youtube html5 plays ok on my hardware so i have no possibility to check this. maybe you could install porteus desktop edition in 32 and 64bits and compare if it makes any better?
in case you decide to do it please let me know about result.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.