I'm giving up on porteus

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#1 by overkill22 » 30 Oct 2017, 04:33

It has been 3 days now I'm trying to work out and understand how Porteus works, but it seems to be impossible to me to make it works. I read the guides, followed every step and had every time different results.

I have now one bootable USB that I've created via copying the files into the formatted USB from a Linux distro and then running the Linux installer, how described in the guide. It worked.
I then tried to create a second USB from the first one, booting with Porteus live and using the Porteus installer. It didn't work. I then installed Porteus on the second USB (USB B) using the method I used for the first USB (USB A). It worked.
So then I had 2 USB in FAT32 with Porteus installed. I then tried to play a bit with Porteus on the USB B, making a .dat file to save the settings and programs, and SOMEHOW I managed to have a program installed and keep the changes. But this SOMEHOW is not satisfying for me since the installation was "dirty" and I get it while trying different things in different ways without really knowing what I was doing.
I decided to format the USB B to EXT4 so at least I don't have to mess around with the .dat file. I thought it was easier. After formatting the USB B with EXT4, I tried to install again Porteus. I tried ALL the different ways to install it, but now the laptop doesn't recognise anymore USB B as a bootable device. I really don't know why since it has the bootloader installed and also the EFI folder. And just now it was working fine.

So then I start playing with the USB A to try to understand how I can recreate what I achieve in the USB B, with a more "clean" approach. This time I wasn't even able to install the necessary libraries because of some USM error. So now I'm very demoralized since it seems clear that I'm not able to manage anything in Porteus.
It would be nice if some kind-hearted friend would help me with step-by-step instruction to get what I need to do. This will help me understand how it works since it is clear that I cannot get it from just reading the guides.

What I need to achieve is having Porteus installed on a USB with 1 specific program installed (that I have as a tar.gz file), with no internet connection, and that could save the settings and the files while using that one program.
  • I need to install some qt dependencies, specifically: python-qt4.
  • Install the program with the command: python setup.py install. (In the readme file of the program, they said it is possible to run the program without installing it, but I was able to run the program only after somehow installing it.)
  • Disable the wifi card so Porteus will be airgapped.
  • Be able to use Porteus on every computer (Windows or Linux), saving the changes made using by that specific program, but not keeping other changes (if possible) after the reboot eg. installing new programs other than the specific one.

If I could get this done with the help of someone it would be great. I really tried my best following the documentation provided and reading the topic in the forum, but due to my limited knowledge of this distro and Linux in general, I'm not able to get the result that I want by myself.

Thank you all in advance.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#2 by fulalas » 30 Oct 2017, 06:04

@overkill22, you can try to figure out which folder this program stores its settings/data (usually inside /home/guest/.config), and then copying this folder to your usbStick/porteus/rootcopy though the script /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown (which is automatically called during reboot/shutdown). I can give you the step by step, but first let me know if this ideas addresses you demand.

Regarding your program, we need to know its name so we can try to help you to make a xzm module. :good:

BTW, I recommend formating your usb stick as NTFS, since it's more compatible with different systems and it also supports symbolic links.

User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#3 by overkill22 » 30 Oct 2017, 06:19

fulalas wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 06:04
@overkill22, you can try to figure out which folder this program stores its settings/data (usually inside /home/guest/.config), and then copying this folder to your usbStick/porteus/rootcopy though the script /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown (which is automatically called during reboot/shutdown). I can give you the step by step, but first let me know if this ideas addresses you demand.

Regarding your program, we need to know its name so we can try to help you to make a xzm module. :good:

BTW, I recommend formating your usb stick as NTFS, since it's more compatible with different systems and it also supports symbolic links.
Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure if I understood your request.
I successfully installed the program on my USB B after few attempts, just by installing (somehow) the phyton-qt4, and then running the command python setup.py install in the folder of the program. You can download the program here and here find some other versions of it.

I'll then use the NTFS to format the USB, even though I don't need the USB to communicate with other OS, it should just be able to boot from any kind of computer.

User avatar
n0ctilucient
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 134
Joined: 21 Apr 2017, 15:59
Distribution: fullmoonremix
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#4 by n0ctilucient » 30 Oct 2017, 15:44

It might also help to get UNetbootin from the USM.
For me it made the process of installation easier.
:hmmm: I do NOT have the "right" to tell anyone what they should do...
but I reserve the "right" to tell them what they should consider.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#5 by fulalas » 30 Oct 2017, 20:09

I imagine that you've installed the program, instead of creating a xzm module. Am I right? We can help you creating a xzm module if you haven't done this yet. No problem :)

In the meantime, could you try to find where the settings/data of this program are stored (starting with the tip I gave on my last post)?

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3320
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#6 by Ed_P » 30 Oct 2017, 20:52

Ed

User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#7 by overkill22 » 31 Oct 2017, 03:57

n0ctilucient wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 15:44
It might also help to get UNetbootin from the USM.
For me it made the process of installation easier.
I tried to use unetbootin from linux mint to install to USB, but it didn't work. Tried to use the porteus installer from porteus live, it didn't work. The only that worked for me was manually copying the files into the USB and then launch the installer.
fulalas wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 20:09
I imagine that you've installed the program, instead of creating a xzm module. Am I right? We can help you creating a xzm module if you haven't done this yet. No problem :)

In the meantime, could you try to find where the settings/data of this program are stored (starting with the tip I gave on my last post)?
Just to try with an easier way, I downloaded the xzm of Opera, following the links to mirrors on the guide here. So I had already the module ready (as I understood). I then put the module in the right folder (porteus/modules), followed this guide Starting out in Porteus 3.2.2 (A Guide) . It didn't work as expected. I tried to activate it but nothing.

About the program, it will store the settings and data in its own folder I guess.

Ed_P wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 20:52
Related topic: Saving changes doesn't work
Thanks, yes this is my first post, then I figured out that I had to boot with "save changes", and it actually worked. Now that I found out this, I'm not able to do a clean installation of what I need.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#8 by fulalas » 31 Oct 2017, 04:24

Could you provide a link to this xzm module you've created so we can check what's wrong?

If the program stores all its settings/data inside its own folder, then you can try to do some changes, then copy the folder manually to a persistent unit, reboot, install the program again, overwrite this folder and check if all the information is correctly restored.

As you can see, I'm looking at 2 different things that will come together in the end -- or at least I hope so. We just need to be positive :good:

User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#9 by overkill22 » 31 Oct 2017, 04:52

fulalas wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 04:24
Could you provide a link to this xzm module you've created so we can check what's wrong?

If the program stores all its settings/data inside its own folder, then you can try to do some changes, then copy the folder manually to a persistent unit, reboot, install the program again, overwrite this folder and check if all the information is correctly restored.

As you can see, I'm looking at 2 different things that will come together in the end -- or at least I hope so. We just need to be positive :good:
I'm sorry, maybe there's is a bit of misunderstanding due to my bad english, sorry for that. I'll try to be as clear as I can, I apologize for not being clear in my previous posts.

1. the xzm module is the opera module that I've downloaded following the guide linked in my previous post (that basically is the sticky thread on this forum). Here is the direct link to the exact file I downloaded >> http://linux.rz.rub.de/porteus/x86_64/P ... 2/modules/ (download opera-48.0)

2. In my first installation of Porteus I managed to SOMEHOW install the dependencies, install the program, and have the program and the setting (in this case I changed the background), saved on the .dat file I created (because the USB was formatted in FAT32). Now the problem is that I did all these stuff in a very messy way. So I'm trying to make a fresh porteus USB and installing the dependencies and program in the proper way. The problem is that I don't know how is the proper way since I'm having more trouble than before (eg. now I'm not able to install porteus and boot from the USB). What I want to do is listed in the first post, but i need specific steps to follow in order to 1. do a clean install, 2. understand how porteus work.

I hope that now it is more clear, thank you so much for helping me and trying to understand my concerns, it is really appreciated :)

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#10 by fulalas » 31 Oct 2017, 05:49

No need to worry, man! Your English is just fine. Some misunderstanding is natural :)

You're a lucky guy because Opera is my main browser, so I know exactly how it works. First things first: Opera runs out of the box in Porteus 3.2.2, so you don't need to worry about dependencies. Second: all settings/data are stored inside: /home/guest/.config/opera . Third: since this folder can be really big due to cache stuff, I recommend to just keep what you really need, like history, current opened tabs and settings, ignoring all the rest. To do that you just need to create this folder structure inside your usb stick: /porteus/rootcopy/etc/rc.d and inside it create the file rc.local_shutdown, editing it to contain this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.local_shutdown
#
# This script is executed at shutdown (rc0) and reboot (rc6).
# You need to make it executable before using.
#
# Example:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop

# Opera
cp -u /home/guest/.config/opera/"Current Session" /mnt/YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID/porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera/"Current Session"
cp -u /home/guest/.config/opera/History /mnt/YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID/porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera/History
*change YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID to your actual usb stick ID, like, for example, sdc1, sdd1, etc.


No need to reboot for now. Open Opera and set everything you like (themes, extensions, behaviors, etc) and close it. Now create this folder structure inside your usb stick: /porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera and inside it copy the following:

Folders:
/home/guest/.config/opera/databases
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extension Rules
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extension State
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extensions
/home/guest/.config/opera/Local Storage

Files:
/home/guest/.config/opera/browser.js
/home/guest/.config/opera/Local State
/home/guest/.config/opera/Preferences


Now reboot Porteus, open Opera and you should see it restoring everything. If you don't want to change any Opera setting anymore, you won't need to do anything else, nevermore. But if you want to change any setting or install a new extension, then you'll have to manually copy the files/folders above to your usb stick again. Got it? Also, notice that by doing that you don't need to use Porteus .dat file :good:

User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#11 by overkill22 » 31 Oct 2017, 06:25

fulalas wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 05:49
No need to worry, man! Your English is just fine. Some misunderstanding is natural :)

You're a lucky guy because Opera is my main browser, so I know exactly how it works. First things first: Opera runs out of the box in Porteus 3.2.2, so you don't need to worry about dependencies. Second: all settings/data are stored inside: /home/guest/.config/opera . Third: since this folder can be really big due to cache stuff, I recommend to just keep what you really need, like history, current opened tabs and settings, ignoring all the rest. To do that you just need to create this folder structure inside your usb stick: /porteus/rootcopy/etc/rc.d and inside it create the file rc.local_shutdown, editing it to contain this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.local_shutdown
#
# This script is executed at shutdown (rc0) and reboot (rc6).
# You need to make it executable before using.
#
# Example:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop

# Opera
cp -u /home/guest/.config/opera/"Current Session" /mnt/YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID/porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera/"Current Session"
cp -u /home/guest/.config/opera/History /mnt/YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID/porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera/History
*change YOUR_USB_STICK_UNIT_ID to your actual usb stick ID, like, for example, sdc1, sdd1, etc.


No need to reboot for now. Open Opera and set everything you like (themes, extensions, behaviors, etc) and close it. Now create this folder structure inside your usb stick: /porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config/opera and inside it copy the following:

Folders:
/home/guest/.config/opera/databases
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extension Rules
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extension State
/home/guest/.config/opera/Extensions
/home/guest/.config/opera/Local Storage

Files:
/home/guest/.config/opera/browser.js
/home/guest/.config/opera/Local State
/home/guest/.config/opera/Preferences


Now reboot Porteus, open Opera and you should see it restoring everything. If you don't want to change any Opera setting anymore, you won't need to do anything else, nevermore. But if you want to change any setting or install a new extension, then you'll have to manually copy the files/folders above to your usb stick again. Got it? Also, notice that by doing that you don't need to use Porteus .dat file :good:
Ok, that's good if I want to install opera.

But what if I want to install this program?
overkill22 wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 06:19
I successfully installed the program on my USB B after few attempts, just by installing (somehow) the phyton-qt4, and then running the command python setup.py install in the folder of the program. You can download the program here and here find some other versions of it.

I'll then use the NTFS to format the USB, even though I don't need the USB to communicate with other OS, it should just be able to boot from any kind of computer.

User avatar
n0ctilucient
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 134
Joined: 21 Apr 2017, 15:59
Distribution: fullmoonremix
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#12 by n0ctilucient » 31 Oct 2017, 17:29

I tried to use unetbootin from linux mint to install to USB, but it didn't work.
The USM does not download "syslinux" by default which along with Qt are required Unetbootin deps. :unknown:
:hmmm: I do NOT have the "right" to tell anyone what they should do...
but I reserve the "right" to tell them what they should consider.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#13 by fulalas » 31 Oct 2017, 20:15

overkill22 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:25
Ok, that's good if I want to install opera. But what if I want to install this program?
You can start with this old version of Electrum (after downloading it, you need to right click and convert it to xzm): http://slackware.uk/people/alien/sbrepo ... 1alien.tgz

I believe that all the dependencies you can get from Slackware FTP: http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/ ... ackware64/ (you also need to convert to xzm).

I can't make a xzm right now, so you can try it yourself and let us know what you've achieved so far :)

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Posts: 777
Joined: 26 Oct 2016, 15:34
Distribution: Porteus
Location: Brazil

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#14 by fulalas » 01 Nov 2017, 06:59

I tried to put Electrum to run, but as a Python based program, it's a total pain in the ass. After around 20 dependencies converted to xzm modules, the program simply returns a generic 'Segmentation fault' error. Sorry, man. I don't know how to solve this.

User avatar
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 05:52
Distribution: mint cinnamon

I'm giving up on porteus

Post#15 by overkill22 » 01 Nov 2017, 08:53

fulalas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 06:59
I tried to put Electrum to run, but as a Python based program, it's a total pain in the ass. After around 20 dependencies converted to xzm modules, the program simply returns a generic 'Segmentation fault' error. Sorry, man. I don't know how to solve this.
At which point it gives you error? When I tried to install, after installing somehow the dependencies, I was able to install (o maybe just to run it without installing?) and no errors. But I didn't try to create any wallet or do operations with the software..
fulalas wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 20:15
overkill22 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:25
Ok, that's good if I want to install opera. But what if I want to install this program?
You can start with this old version of Electrum (after downloading it, you need to right click and convert it to xzm): http://slackware.uk/people/alien/sbrepo ... 1alien.tgz

I believe that all the dependencies you can get from Slackware FTP: http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/ ... ackware64/ (you also need to convert to xzm).

I can't make a xzm right now, so you can try it yourself and let us know what you've achieved so far :)

ok for converting something into xzm, I think I'm able to do that, but where to put the modules after? and should I activate them or how?
Sorry but you'll have to explain like I'm 5 :%)

Post Reply