Error recovery

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Post Reply
rchase
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce x64
Location: Denver, Colorado

Error recovery

Post#1 by rchase » 19 May 2017, 08:09

Is there now a way to remove /tmp/.X0-lock without having to enter text mode and do it manually? This seems to come up often enough that having a cheatcode to do it would be helpful. It is one of the common ways in which Porteus doesn't boot -- and would leave most end-users boggled. I just encountered this error again and rebooting didn't help -- I left it at "x1 respawning too fast ...", and five minutes later, xorg started up and took me to the desktop -- why? Is there any way to automate recovery from this error (faster, if it is finally removing /tmp/.X0-lock on its own after five minutes)?

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 235
Joined: 01 Jan 2011, 12:44
Location: Russia

Re: Error recovery

Post#2 by Falcony » 19 May 2017, 10:54

U have to be novice in porteus as i see.

Few words regarding right philosophy of usage porteus and slax(1-st came from 2-nd).
And there is some slax philosophy - and some kind advice - which are simple, but it different from other distros except porteus.

Code: Select all

Use always Always fresh mode. This avide you of such error like this topic.
For saving your data use Magic Folders(check doc on site for details). Or user rootcopy directory. Or just link needed directory and files during boot.
Do not use other save modes. You may - but again it lead to such problem like this.
guest user for kiosk or masochists.  Use root user only. This is right for slax and porteus distros.
This solve most your problem.

User avatar
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3314
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 22:12
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO
Location: Western NY, USA

Re: Error recovery

Post#3 by Ed_P » 19 May 2017, 15:46

An interesting problem. I use a save.dat file and Porteus doesn't save the /tmp folder to it so I have never seen the file you reference. Are you sure "x1 respawning too fast ..." error is writing it?
Ed

rchase
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce x64
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Error recovery

Post#4 by rchase » 19 May 2017, 15:59

Ed_P wrote:An interesting problem. I use a save.dat file and Porteus doesn't save the /tmp folder to it so I have never seen the file you reference. Are you sure "x1 respawning too fast ..." error is writing it?
This is an extremely common error I have seen on several installations over a period of years -- a message about removing /tmp/X0.lock accompanies that about x1 respawning. The forums suggest booting to text mode and removing it, but it somehow (sometimes) gets removed just by rebooting.

rchase
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce x64
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Error recovery

Post#5 by rchase » 19 May 2017, 16:04

Falcony wrote:U have to be novice in porteus as i see.

Few words regarding right philosophy of usage porteus and slax(1-st came from 2-nd).
And there is some slax philosophy - and some kind advice - which are simple, but it different from other distros except porteus.

Code: Select all

Use always Always fresh mode. This avide you of such error like this topic.
For saving your data use Magic Folders(check doc on site for details). Or user rootcopy directory. Or just link needed directory and files during boot.
Do not use other save modes. You may - but again it lead to such problem like this.
guest user for kiosk or masochists.  Use root user only. This is right for slax and porteus distros.
This solve most your problem.
I'll take that as a "no". What appears a common enough problem will continue to stymie end-users trying to boot Porteus. I suggest that an OS for mass-use should not require diagnosis and fixing from the terminal -- I do not think of Porteus as a school of philosophy, nor do I want daily use interrupted by an endless series of research projects into its bugs and quirks. By the way, you are advising me not to use the default booting mode for Porteus -- if "Always fresh" mode is the most common or appropriate way to boot Porteus, then "DEFAULT GRAPHICAL" should not be in porteus.cfg.

User avatar
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 5068
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 14:25
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Re: Error recovery

Post#6 by francois » 19 May 2017, 21:54

@rchase:
This is not a no. Falcony provided the solution:
For saving your data use Magic Folders

In some thread I cannot retreive, fanthom stated that using magic folders with porteus never failed on him. He is as you know the developper.
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 2563
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 15:21
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5
Location: London

Re: Error recovery

Post#7 by Bogomips » 19 May 2017, 23:58

Falcony wrote:

Code: Select all

guest user for kiosk or masochists.  Use root user only.
I would say, other way round. Possible scenario running as root, could be pasting an innocuous command into a terminal, and Murphy's Law taking over! :evil: For some reason or other the copied 'command/s' did not make it to the clipboard (this experienced not infrequenly by myself), resulting in the 'previous' contents being pasted into terminal. Applying Murphy's Law would be that the previous copy was of a browser page on an article to do with creating and intialising a certain type of partition, in which case Bash will execute all the examples on the page for you, in the twinkling of an eyelid, leaving you with your most important hdd partition intialised. :D Further application of Murphy's Law would mean that it had been quite a while since that partition was backed up, if at all! And you end up screwed big time! :twisted:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

rchase
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce x64
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Error recovery

Post#8 by rchase » 20 May 2017, 02:33

I invariably use the root account. We are constantly enjoined to use the guest account in preference, and my goal is a stable installation fully satisfactory to end-users who use the guest account. To that end, I want access both accounts.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Posts: 235
Joined: 01 Jan 2011, 12:44
Location: Russia

Re: Error recovery

Post#9 by Falcony » 22 May 2017, 07:16

Good deal and target. You may join to porteus developers team as you wish.
Currently they are not much.
rchase wrote: By the way, you are advising me not to use the default booting mode for Porteus -- if "Always fresh" mode is the most common or appropriate way to boot Porteus, then "DEFAULT GRAPHICAL" should not be in porteus.cfg.
That is all depends what user want. Some use porteus as kiosk, some for recovery OS - in that case no need saving at all. If you are using porteus as desktop OS - that case these default boot option not come at all.

Default setting as always "defaults" - so it is seems most average for all target usage. And not as good as it suite your target criteria. Anyway selecting best boot option for all is good deal - which split items by several groups and make menu for each.
Bogomips wrote: Further application of Murphy's Law would mean that it had been quite a while since that partition was backed up, if at all! And you end up screwed big time! :twisted:
Basically there are not much difference between root or non-root operation due u use some kind of sudo tools - which - ha-ha :wink: also could lead to such problem as user's mistyping.
Using non-CLI tools - anyway it not matter at all.

rchase
Samurai
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce x64
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Error recovery

Post#10 by rchase » 25 May 2017, 15:00

Falcony wrote:Good deal and target. You may join to porteus developers team as you wish.
Thanks for the invitation, but I'd need to learn Linux first before being able to do much real development.

Post Reply