Porteus gnome-shell 3.24 ?

Non release banter
Evan
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Anything Cinnamon

Re: Porteus with gnome 3.24 ?

Post#16 by Evan » 23 Apr 2017, 09:29

ncmprhnsbl seems to be doing rather well with elogind. :)

:Bravo:

Evan
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Porteus with gnome 3.24 ?

Post#17 by Evan » 26 Apr 2017, 01:03

Re: why gnome is so popular?

xenopeek » Owner of Linux Mint forum
I switched to Gnome Shell on my main system almost 3 years ago. I love the polished and distraction free environment. I don't need bells and whistles worth of options and I personally am not missing any functionality when using it or its file manager. I prefer something that stays out of my way and lets me focus on what I'm working on and Gnome Shell fits with that.

Using extensions and Gnome Tweak Tool it can be customized for those users that like tinkering with their system. With extensions you can add things like a dock or move the panel to the bottom and have it list your open windows. During the first two weeks of using it I played around with those kind of extensions as I tried to find my way on Gnome Shell. After two weeks the Gnome Shell workflow clicked for me and I'm only using an extension to hide the legacy icon tray and the one that lets you use the mouse scrollwheel on the panel to move between workspaces. While Gnome Shell has good, if not the best, keyboard accessibility I prefer using the mouse more and I don't need icons cluttering my view.

I also love the way Gnome programs like Gedit, Nautilus and Music look and work; polished, distraction free and with the functionality I need. That is part of the attraction to Gnome Shell for me. These programs also look good on Patheon and Budgie (other shells for Gnome) but having tried both I personally strongly prefer Gnome Shell's workflow.

I also have all the Linux Mint editions installed and Cinnamon is my second most popular desktop environment.
Great advert for Mint when one of the team would rather use Gnome. :D

Evan
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Porteus gnome-shell 3.24 ?

Post#18 by Evan » 28 Apr 2017, 22:31

gnome-shell 3.24.1

Package Size: 1.2 MB
Installed Size: 11.7 MB

Anyone roughly know how big gnome-shell is compared to other desktops once you include all the other dependencies so it can be run?

Evan
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Porteus gnome-shell 3.24 ?

Post#19 by Evan » 26 May 2017, 08:11

Benchmarks for Xfce vs GNOME shell on clear linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... nome&num=1

Hardly any difference apart from when Gnome is in fall back mode without graphic acceleration.......