SOLVED Porteus ruined Windows Bootloader

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
distressed_user
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

SOLVED Porteus ruined Windows Bootloader

Post#1 by distressed_user » 29 Jun 2016, 06:50

Hi, i am fairly new to Linux, even though im not too much of a computer noob. You could imagine my happiness when i found Porteus, a small linux distro that can be booted live without ruining or deleting your previous OS. I burned a Porteus XFCE iso image to a cd, and made all the necessary changes to my BIOS/UEFI, which included disabling safe boot and enabling some other mode (i forgot its name). Porteus booted after a screen telling me to insert the iso disk and press any key to boot linux. I was happy with how Porteus worked within the cd, but when i shut down the system and removed the disk to get back to Windows 8.1, an infinite loop of text came on the screen anytime i pressed f2 (or any other button) telling me to put in a disk or reboot to select disk. I can access Porteus and it seems as if my hard disk is on there, but i cant get Windows to boot again (something about invalid signature or bad bootloader config) please help; if there is any way to reboot windows without wiping my computer, please tell me. I dont have a windows installation disk, but if it is necessary to factory reset my comp somehow, im willing to do it.
Also, where did i mess up? By disabling UEFI? (probably)
Im also willing to post more detailed information later, if necessary

fullmoonremix

Re: (Help) Porteus ruined Windows Bootloader

Post#2 by fullmoonremix » 29 Jun 2016, 08:23

The problem is NOT Porteus.

You entered legacy mode on a Windows device to boot
an alternate OS.You will need to switch back to UEFI.

Posted by 73.112.16.59 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 29 Jun 2016, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

distressed_user
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by distressed_user » 29 Jun 2016, 08:57

Thank you for the response. May i ask how to reenter UEFI mode? I tried pressing f2 quickly when i reboot, but it doesnt work. I cant go back to any Windows 8 OS screen either. Porteus didn't work after resetting my computer after disabling secure boot; so i had to switch to legacy mode (btw, legacy mode is the same as csm right)
Last edited by distressed_user on 30 Jun 2016, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#4 by Bogomips » 29 Jun 2016, 11:17

Welcome to Porteus.

Ed_P is one of our users who seems to know the ins and outs of windows and uefi etc. I'm sure he'll be coming along some time soon, and will be able to put you right on some of the notions that you have. There is also donald, with a good grip on such matters, who will probably appear later. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

fullmoonremix

Post#5 by fullmoonremix » 29 Jun 2016, 11:54

UEFI/Legacy modes are accessed through your firmware menu options if you logged in as administrator (in the password option menu).
If you press F2 (if correct) and you are logged in as administrator (automatically or by password) you should have access to the boot setting menu.

I'm an CompTIA: A+ certified technician so I can walk you though help desk.
However... I am pre-disposed so my responses will be slow. In any case... the other experts will likely assist soon.

Posted by 73.112.16.59 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 29 Jun 2016, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 29 Jun 2016, 21:01

distressed_user wrote:Thank you for the response. May i ask how to reenter UEFI mode? I tried pressing f2 quickly when i reboot, but it doesnt work. I cant go back to any Windows 8 OS screen either. Porteus didn't work after resetting my computer after disabling secure boot; so i had to switch to legacy mode (btw, legacy modew is the same as csm right)
What brand and model computer do you have? Knowing that should give a clue to what key to press when booting. I use F12 sometimes and Del sometimes so F2 isn't a default standard.

Disabling EFI's Secure Boot is the only option you should have needed to change to boot something other than Windows.

When you boot, without the CD in, what msgs show on the screen?

Can you not switch back to UEFI mode? It's the opposite of what you did to switch to Legacy mode. And if you can, when you boot, without the CD in, what msgs show on the screen?

-update-

On Acer Aspire One 755 the key to enter BIOS when booting is F12. And no signon/logon is necessary to access it.
Ed

distressed_user
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by distressed_user » 30 Jun 2016, 04:35

Ed_P wrote:
distressed_user wrote:Thank you for the response. May i ask how to reenter UEFI mode? I tried pressing f2 quickly when i reboot, but it doesnt work. I cant go back to any Windows 8 OS screen either. Porteus didn't work after resetting my computer after disabling secure boot; so i had to switch to legacy mode (btw, legacy modew is the same as csm right)
What brand and model computer do you have? Knowing that should give a clue to what key to press when booting. I use F12 sometimes and Del sometimes so F2 isn't a default standard.

Disabling EFI's Secure Boot is the only option you should have needed to change to boot something other than Windows.

When you boot, without the CD in, what msgs show on the screen?

Can you not switch back to UEFI mode? It's the opposite of what you did to switch to Legacy mode. And if you can, when you boot, without the CD in, what msgs show on the screen?

-update-

On Acer Aspire One 755 the key to enter BIOS when booting is F12. And no signon/logon is necessary to access it.
Thank you for your reply. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55D laptop, and i pressed FN+F2 to access BIOS settings originally. It went into legacy mode, and only booted up the system when i inserted the Porteus CD. If i didnt have a CD in, it just kept prompting me to insert a proper boot device and press a key. I figured out that the issue was that I was pressing the FN key along with F2; when i just pressed F2, i could access my BIOS setting and re-enable UEFI. This started up my Windows OS normally again; I had forgotten that in the older Windows BIOS, no FN key was necessary. I feel so stupid for not figuring this out sooner. Thank you all for your help and support; i can rest easy knowing people like you all are helping other users with their issues.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#8 by Ed_P » 30 Jun 2016, 12:59

distressed_user wrote:[ I feel so stupid for not figuring this out sooner. Thank you all for your help and support
You're welcome. And don't feel bad. We've all made stupid mistakes. And sometimes it's the best way of learning. :good:

Now that you can boot Windows again, if you insert the Porteus CD and reboot does Porteus boot?
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 01 Jul 2016, 01:51

I recommend trying the live-installer written by Neko (and included in Porteus-v3.2rc3+) which creates a UEFI media that can boot both 32 and 64bit porteus. No need to switch between legacy mode anymore. Gret job Neko.

@All anyone willing to translate the installer should know it would be welcomed.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

distressed_user
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by distressed_user » 01 Jul 2016, 04:09

Ed_P wrote:
distressed_user wrote:[
You're welcome. And don't feel bad. We've all made stupid mistakes. And sometimes it's the best way of learning. :good:

Now that you can boot Windows again, if you insert the Porteus CD and reboot does Porteus boot?
Yes, everything is working perfectly now. Thanks again; ill take using that live installer with EFI support under consideration.