Server

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Server

Post#1 by Jack » 04 Dec 2015, 04:03

I just pickup a Server. It has 2 intel xeon 2.67 ghz processor and I think the bus speed is 1.33 ghz and 32gb of memory. I'm not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit. Now here is my question will Porteus 3.1? And if it will should it have good speed?

Here a link to the mother board. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENVIVIO-4-CASTE ... xyB7xSppU8

I don't know if it is a dual or quad speed. Any help will be great.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fullmoonremix

Re: Server

Post#2 by fullmoonremix » 05 Dec 2015, 09:28

Salutations... :good:

Sounds like a muscular loadout... so performance should be no problem.
If you install "opencl-headers" from the USM you can probably squeeze more power out of it.

Best Regards... :beer:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 05 Dec 2015, 12:59

Porteus will obviously run on a machine with these specs. Personally I would not run the standard Porteus as a server. You would need to add quite a bit of stuff to have a secure server. On the other hand, if you will be using it as a desktop then you have no problem. It will fly. :Yahoo!:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Jack » 05 Dec 2015, 18:04

Is it a 64bit? Cause I don't know. And I think the 2 CPU are Quad's core. It will just BE a desktop. The only thing I see wrong it is loud real loud after Xmas I will see what is wrong with that. And yes it has intel raid controller but no SATA drives.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 05 Dec 2015, 22:44

Is it a 64bit?
At a guess I would say yes due to 32Gb ram.

When you say loud what exactly do you mean? Is it the sound of a fan working overtime?

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Jack » 06 Dec 2015, 04:53

That what I mean the sound is from the fan working overtime. Hope it can be fix. When I plug it in the 2 power supply fans come's on and there are 4 fans total and they run quite but when I turn it on that when it gets loud.

When I use my wife computer it is quite but when it over heat or heat up the fans runs at a high rate speed and gets loud. That server goes right to high speed and not a low speed at first and over heat or heat up then high speed.

Hope you understand that.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#7 by Ed_P » 06 Dec 2015, 05:12

A machine can have lots of different fans. Power supply, processor, case, ide drive case. I'm sure you have tried WD-40, consider adding one or more case fans. Helpful when running high intensity games.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Jack » 06 Dec 2015, 17:34

No I have not tried WD-40 but if it is a fan I would like to find one first. Right now I work on Sat, Sun and Mon but I will look at it on Tue. I wanted to get any idea first before I try anything like WD-40.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 06 Dec 2015, 17:54

I had a similar server 6-7 years ago and it was also noisy.

First open the side and see if there is a case fan directly powered. These probably can't be controlled. Check that they are balanced so as to not shake the case, I fixed mine with some double sided sticky tape. Second boot into a linux with some fan/temperature monitoring capability to see if something is indeed running hot. Sometimes you get good deals on second hand servers, right before they crap out.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Jack » 07 Dec 2015, 04:09

The server open from the top and it is 3.5" thick x 28" long x 13" wide it was in a rack. When I take the top off I can see 6 fans inside and like I said there are 2 fans on each power supply. I can take some picture of the inside of it when I don't have to work.

In the bios there is a fan setting I move it to the other setting and now it don't seem to as loud.

Where I get it free like did it not that bad.

FYI all the fans were loud not just one of them.

Where it was being used by the company it ran Linux on it.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Jack » 09 Dec 2015, 20:59

I just thought of something there is no sound card in that server. I will have to buy one or do without one.