The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
phhpro
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: .

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#91 by phhpro » 12 Nov 2015, 04:54

Last edited by phhpro on 04 Feb 2016, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.5...with a twist

Post#92 by roadie » 12 Nov 2015, 04:58

brokenman wrote:I hope to release an ISO this weekend so people can try it out and see if it is usable for them. I will then hold a poll to see what the majority thinks. All of this will impact the final decision. I will also know in a few weeks if my work situation will change which may afford me more free time. If I could work on Porteus full time (as in it made an income) I would be happy releasing both slackware and arch versions.

I'll be happy to test the release....200ish meg beats the hell outa the 700ish Manjaro I tried today....with very little in it for that size. I've formed some thoughts from it and a couple of other Arch distros, the biggest complaint I have is pacman and it's refusal to do what I want it to do.....much like apt-get....and a lot of women....they just don't listen.

I have no opinion on systemd, I haven't looked at it at all....these Arch distros don't seem to boot very fast with systemd....could be my lil netbook though Porteus boots much faster....Porteus/Slitaz flies.

In any case, I await the release of Porteus/Arch....fair warning though.... it will be abused.

Igor
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus

Post#93 by Igor » 12 Nov 2015, 09:21

Last edited by Igor on 04 Dec 2015, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#94 by Tonio » 12 Nov 2015, 14:13

I have a lot of respect for you Tonio, as I do for many other long term Porteus users, but I can't make my life unworkable because of die hard slackware fans.
I also have a great deal of respect for you as well. Both you and fanthom rock!!! Thanks to your help, I was able to compile kertex on porteus and typeset beautiful documents on a portable usb drive/or a livecd. I customized it with many programs to typeset mathematics. I was able to use some slackbuilds and add some programs that help me in my classes.
What is the problem that we will not be able to have a livecd/usb like porteus is right now modular and apps can be added/deleted and customization
There is no problem. Nothing would change. It would be exactly the same format, only a different base. A new comer would not even realize they are using a different base.
This is where things differ, other distributions have different way of doing things, ie, how will the new devel module compare to the present one? Packages will be different there will no longer a /var/log/packages; A newcomer would not know about these changes :) Of course not. They are just finding out about a great system that will run their pcs.
I hear this a lot. I am using it right now. Have done for a while. It is not as invasive as people that have never taken the time to use it think.
A regular user, ie., a normal user which turns on their pc and see their computers boot up and run would not notice it; but an experienced system admin or developer who builds desktops will notice it and its intrusions. Newer programs depend on it and will not run or will run with many changes and *isms to get their desktops working. This is what will be avoided if you use Arch because it uses that by default and not waste time building desktops. I understand this and understand your frustrations.
I have no opinion on systemd, I haven't looked at it at all....these Arch distros don't seem to boot very fast with systemd....could be my lil netbook though Porteus boots much faster....Porteus/Slitaz flies.
I unfortunately have an opinion on systemd, and that it is not as fast as it was before. If you can find some resources online, I used Fedora and Fedora 20 booted faster than Fedora 22 and I skipped Fedora 21, they removed a readahed stuff that was replaced by some systemd* stuff.
I will put some links on another fellow that runs Fedora and tests new Red Hat Technology and his viewpoints on systemd

http://tomhorsley.com/game/systemd.html

and

http://tomhorsley.com/game/punch.html

He is a power user and he definitely knows what posts. I am not a newbie but not a power user as he is. Also users are invited to see the biggest myths refered to on one of previous pages:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-b ... yths.html
arguing about the advantages and disadvantages of what does not understand
You are right on this one! I am a mere mortal and cant understand that pile of code called systemd :)
Peace to all.
Wish it were that simple! And like you pointed out religious wars and regime change prevalent in the world, wars for no apparent good reason other than to oppress people or 4 money. We donț like your president so lets put another person that we like in there[take a look at some countries in our world
today]. They are =@ in many places using drones instead of people. I agree friend. It is what it is; unfortunately :( .
it's refusal to do what I want it to do.....much like apt-get....and a lot of women....they just don't listen.
Very true roadie :) :D That is a problem we have. Just like the government in many countries too! :cry:

Now a bigger question to Brokenman. Will you release an x86_64 iso or an i686 one? Under 200 MB? or 300 MB? as you had previously discussed?

Da-svi-da-niya (Dasvidania)

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#95 by donald » 12 Nov 2015, 14:47

@brokenman
Well, Fanthom left Porteus and leaves a big gap. We will miss him ,i'm sure.
Now the workload is too much for only one Person (brokenman), agreed,.so you like to
hear some "solutions and ideas"..ok.

1.Don't try to be everyone's darling...8 DE's..why?.opt for 2.
((don't ask me "yeah but which"..(the most downloaded,popular or what ever)..make a decision).

In fact, it is your Life, your Time, be more selfish, do what you like to do and if you like, share it.
Provide a stable and secure OS (and security updates (bugfixes) if available), nothing more.

--> they couldn't get the application they wanted <--
--> For a newcomer, compiling a package is not on the cards <--
If the newest package version isn't in the Repo (upstream), bad luck but you are not responsible for that.
I did never understood why it's so important that even the dumbest "Joe" should be able to use porteus..

IMHO..stay with Slackware, lean back and wait for the next Release..
Have you not yet more / additional work with "nemesis"?..if it's (personally) interesting you ..ok..otherwise, why?..you may say that you will have less work in the future..I'm not convinced.

And I won't say anything about systemd.. :wink:
Last edited by donald on 12 Nov 2015, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Igor
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus

Post#96 by Igor » 12 Nov 2015, 14:53

Last edited by Igor on 04 Dec 2015, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#97 by Tonio » 12 Nov 2015, 15:13

Igor wrote:@Tonio
I don't like our President too. I don't love him for his desire to retain power at any cost, for the war and indifference to human life, for lies and blood. I don't like our President because he was the obstacle to development, for the savagery and isolation of the country from the civilized world. But I did not choose our President. The President and his policies chosen by people clinging to old, for the illusion of stability, fear of change and anything new, unwilling to take responsibility for themselves and their lives who want to blame their failures on the whole world. In our country such people are still the majority. And how many of these on the forum? So let's not act like reactionaries and conservatives, will open a new way, we will develop and improve Porteus, to learn from others and adopt best practices. Будьте здоровы!
No, I was not saying that I did not like President Putin, on the contrary I think he is a great leader more than we have in USA :( :oops: I was saying that the people which rule the world are oppressing others, and if they do not like a person, they try to remove him/her and install a puppet someone that they can manipulate. There are some examples like Saddam Hussein[Iraq] and Quadafi[Libya]. This is not right, but until someone stops them from imposing their will on other people instead of letting them live in peace and like you say adopt best practices. :wink: :good: They kill innocent people, also take a look in Gaza and @Israel, etc. The mainstream media, TV and others are pushing stuff to keep the people from opening their eyes
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/11 ... oney.html
https://larouchepac.com/20151112/putin ... rmageddon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lzy5_V360k

@Donald
Well said! Thats sums up what I tried to say in most of my posts. But if the direction is arch then so it is and we will not hinder progress as Igor proposes, but help and support Brokenmans decision.

Blaze
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus 3.2 Cinnamon x86_64

Post#98 by Blaze » 12 Nov 2015, 16:41

donald wrote:Well, Fanthom left Porteus and leaves a big gap.
Why Fanthom is leave Porteus???
Russia is not Putin. Porteus is not Slackware.
Putin is a normal guy, but carelessness, corruption, theft, stupid officials and bribed government - is ruining Russia.
Linux porteus 4.12.7-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 13 17:38:30 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Tobago PRO [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM] (rev 81) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#99 by Tonio » 12 Nov 2015, 16:57

Zdra-stvu-eetee
Fanthom will concentrate his efforts more on Kiosk Edition[Gentoo based] rather than regular Porteus.
but carelessness, corruption, theft, stupid officials and bribed government - is ruining Russia.
Not only Russia, but the rest of the world. With power in the hands of the 1% and the rest of the 99%ers running like sheeple following along. Russia is a great country, but that theft, and corruption are mostly everywhere because the bad guys cannot be stopped :( Pa-Ka

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#100 by donald » 12 Nov 2015, 17:09

@Blaze
First post, first sentence:
As of December, due to other commitments, Fanthom will officially be leaving 'Porteus Desktop Edition' in the capacity of maintainer... :cry:

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Post#101 by francois » 12 Nov 2015, 17:48

You are right Igor, peace to us all, even though the opinions could differ.

I hope that the decision of the community will be based on an informed decision. It would be fair that members give a sincere try to nemesis before voting, being able to come with pros and cons about that possible venture. Porteus came from slackware, but is really more than slackware and system V. The community decision should come from experimentation, reason and wisdom, and not on the basis of emotions mainly.

@tonio:
I unfortunately have an opinion on systemd, and that it is not as fast as it was before. If you can find some resources online, I used Fedora and Fedora 20 booted faster than Fedora 22 and I skipped Fedora 21
This might be due to other factors than systemd. Nemesis boots as fast as porteus if not faster, it behaves better on my old laptop in terms of managing the demands of the different programs.

However, to be objective some real tests will have to be performed comparing the two oses with the same programs before coming with any sound conclusions.

In addition Tonio, I have much respect and even friendship for you, as much as these Linux forum could provide, which could be really surprising.

However, I will not use the argument don't count on me if the Linux base does not change. One thing I will assert though is that I am looking for important changes. Activity is dying in this forum.

Edited now.
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#102 by roadie » 12 Nov 2015, 17:54

francois wrote:You are right Igor, peace to us all, even though the opinions could differ.

I hope that the decision of the community will be based on an informed decision. It would be fair that members give a sincere try to nemesis before voting, being able to come with pros and cons about that possible venture. Porteus came from slackware, but is really more than slackware and system V. The community decision should come from experimentation, reason and wisdom, and not on the basis of emotions mainly.
But Linux, and the distro of choice, is a very emotional subject. It's quite evident...even on the Arch forums. :)

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#103 by roadie » 12 Nov 2015, 17:55

Guys, we have enough problems as it is, lets not drag politics into it.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops

Post#104 by brokenman » 12 Nov 2015, 17:59

I will endeavour to release both i686 and x86_64. I will also endeavour to keep it under the 300MB limit that we originally set for Porteus. Use it. Abuse it. Then let me know your opinion of it. I have a thick skin.

Please stay on topic. This is not the thread for global warming, religion or politics.

Thank for the links Tonio. Always good to read other users opinions although within the first sentence i could tell it was a biased opinion. The reporter complains about not being to unmount NFS shares before shutdown. Really not that difficult if one isn't blinded with hatred. You can run whatever you want before and after systemd-shutdown does it's thing.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

phhpro
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: .

Post#105 by phhpro » 12 Nov 2015, 20:31

Last edited by phhpro on 04 Feb 2016, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.