The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Evan
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Anything Cinnamon

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#301 by Evan » 08 May 2016, 08:16

<removed>
Last edited by Evan on 24 Jun 2016, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

fullmoonremix

Post#302 by fullmoonremix » 08 May 2016, 09:09

Salutations... :good:

I sincerely hope LXQT is NOT being thrown under the bus because it's the reason why I use Porteus. IMHO... :oops: the other desktops suck because I like the
idea of choosing WM's (PekWM). I left the PeppermintOS (LXDE) forum after someone suggested Porteus when I expressed interest in the Siduction (LXQT) project.

The LXQT (3.2) iso doesn't have to be part of the online Porteus builder but that does NOT mean it should not be part of the ftp repo for many of us that use it.

"Best Regards"... :beer:

Posted by 73.150.85.78 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.1.0 x86-64 XFCe

Post#303 by Rava » 02 Jun 2016, 13:00

wread wrote:As long as kde5 is mixed with kde4 this will be a difficult task, you need to double your resources (kdelibs + framweorks), (qt4 + qt5), etc...I will split qt5 to separate the development part from the basic stuff, too.
Just to make it clear, isn't KDE5 meant to be "only" kde5, with the mist recent kds, kdelibs, and qt and such and not a kd44+5 hybrid?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v3.2.5-kde5-64 bits

Post#304 by wread » 02 Jun 2016, 14:01

Yes, Kde5 is supposed to be independent from Kde4. This "independency" is happening step by step with every new release of Kde5. When all supported applications are ported to Kde5, the loop will be closed.

The most important applications are already ported to Kde5 (they use xcb instead of Xlib, qt5 instead of qt4, etc.), so don't make use of the old k's... They (alien.slackbook.org/ktown) are bringing updates of Kde5 practically every month, bringing newly ported apps and thus eliminating old versions depending from qt4, etc., and adjusting already ported ones to work again in case the newcomers alters the functionality of already ported apps.

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!