The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
aus9

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#241 by aus9 » 22 Jan 2016, 11:57

datruche
What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet. Maybe netctl with wpa_supplicant? it has `wifi-menu` (ncurses) and weight 720 KiB total.
why don't you reply to my tutorial if you have wireless issues, but I have no idea if you went to Nemesis forum to read the tutorials there?
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5337

aus9

Post#242 by aus9 » 22 Jan 2016, 12:06

killermenpl wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm just curious what are the benefits of changing to Arch. For me it's just more work to get to where Slackware Porteus is right now.

I've noticed the new package manager, but I don't think it would be that difficult to make a new package manager for Porteus that would have the same features (downloading packages and automatically converting to .xzm)

Again, I'm not hating Nemesis, I just don't see the point of it.
(mod action) removed post from Nemesis forum as this seems the most relevant thread.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops

Post#243 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 21:48

What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet
Why not use the config file in the root of the (Nemesis) installation. Putting your details in there will give you an automatic internet connection upon boot. You can also open a console and run: nmtui-connect which gives you a graphical (ncurses) wireless connection option.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jessidvelez
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1

Post#244 by jessidvelez » 24 Jan 2016, 02:33

Hello, guys. I love Porteus since the very first moment I saw it running in my very old laptop. The concept of modules is awesome. This activate/deactivate posibility is great. Perhaps this is not the correct place for my comments and questions. I come from windows, and unfortunately from Ubuntu (well, Ubuntu used to be very cool in the old days). I have tried distros like puppy and slitaz, but Porteus.... well Porteus is, by far, the best one.

I thought I knew something about Linux, but reading about systemd, I realize that nothing more away from the truth. I would like to ask some questions:
1. What would it represent for Porteus to include systemd?
2. Will Porteus last longer to boot?
3. The concept of modules will be forgotten?
4. Will it behave like nasty modern Ubuntu?

And finally (this is, perhaps, the most out of place questions)
5. The modules of Porteus are based in which concept? I know how to modify them, use them and create them. But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?

Thanks a lot.

fullmoonremix

Post#245 by fullmoonremix » 24 Jan 2016, 12:47

Salutations... :good:

Porteus doesn't use systemd. :unknown:

Best Regards... :beer:

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#246 by Bogomips » 24 Jan 2016, 14:35

jessidvelez wrote: And finally (this is, perhaps, the most out of place questions)
5. The modules of Porteus are based in which concept? I know how to modify them, use them and create them. But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?
Conception
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#247 by brokenman » 24 Jan 2016, 21:13

But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?
Modules are a squashfs file system container. You can mount them to a loopback to check them out.

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/module
mount -o loop /path/to/module.xzm /mnt/module

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#248 by Bogomips » 24 Jan 2016, 22:19

^ It's something I'm noticing lately. Wonder if it is Linux or Porteus becoming so smart. :roll:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ mkdir x
guest@porteus:~$ mount /mnt/sda1/mods/Oku_230814.xzm   x
mount: only root can do that
guest@porteus:~$ sudo mount /mnt/sda1/mods/Oku_230814.xzm   x
mount: warning: x seems to be mounted read-only.
guest@porteus:~$ ls x
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#249 by datruche » 25 Jan 2016, 01:56

@aus9, @Brokenman thanks for taking notice. My little goal was to report that I found no way to set-up the Wi-Fi upon booting Nemesis on the same netbook where Porteus 3.1 made it a brainless detail. I report further on your tutorial post

@aus9: First and upmost because I'd never thought Nemesis would be a Porteus *derivatives* subforum. Now that I've read some of this thread *and* hav been using Nemesis extensively for a couple of weeks it makes sense. But who would look for information/topics on the next distro release/upgrade under "derivatives"?

aus9

Post#250 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 09:38

@brokenman

I will attempt to help datruche and his broadcom device on my tutorial page if you have no objection.

His reponse to where to look for Nemesis stuff I shall leave for others to repond to or not as they see fit. But I don't think we can have Nemesis in Development due to its wording

fullmoonremix

Post#251 by fullmoonremix » 25 Jan 2016, 10:51

Salutations... :good:

Nemesis although functional is still being beta tested. :unknown: It's not ready for prime time yet.
IMHO... it's currently by default a derivative because it's not officially supported.

Best Regards... :beer:

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#252 by datruche » 25 Jan 2016, 14:48

Salutations fullmoonremix,

Agree. Wanted to point out this classification/forum was unclear to me and might be such for a bunch of Porteus casual users. eg all those using it on some occasions (rescue, demo, testing).
Take any distro you've used in the past and see which one had its development forum in a subforum below "derivatives".

aus9 thanks, will go.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#253 by brokenman » 25 Jan 2016, 21:37

Nothing yet wread? If you have kde5 running on slackware porteus then now would be the time to send the package list.

I have a blank screen on boot. Same as with I had with arch only the reason was easy to find on arch. It still elludes me in slackware.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Post#254 by francois » 25 Jan 2016, 22:47

@wread:
If there is something to test for kde5 current slackware just send a pm. I will do. :)
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#255 by brokenman » 27 Jan 2016, 00:51

Don't worry wread. Took me all night but I have it working fine. Francois, nothing yet. Just keeping my finger on the pulse.