The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
aus9

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#166 by aus9 » 29 Nov 2015, 23:56

It would seem there's a totally reverse understanding of what lightweight means
brokenman seems to advocating FF web browser?
browser (lynx or ff)
And that dear friends takes it out of light and into bloat.

In terms of terminal web browsers, I like elinks as it has a status bar....so if you connect to a https site it shows a big fat S in the status bar,
meaning Secure connection established. The other 2 main status letters are
J = Javascript error
P = Popup window blocked
Page 28
http://elinks.or.cz/documentation/pdf/manual.pdf

Just my aussie 2 cents worth.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops

Post#167 by brokenman » 30 Nov 2015, 03:47

brokenman advocates any browser that allows you to use duckduckgo with the porteus insert in order to support your favourite distro. Using duckduckgo (with the porteus insert) generates income to pay for the server. Between this and donations we have so far paid for the server for two years running. Thank you to the Porteus community.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Seva
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: XFCE Porteus Desktop 3.1 64bit

Post#168 by Seva » 30 Nov 2015, 19:48

must have for GUI install:

terminal emulator
file-network-partition-task-settings-archive-package managers
screenshot taker
calculator
text editor with syntax highlight
image viewer
one video-audio player with playlists
web-browser with pdf viewing and flash
python3 (?)
light image editor (?)

not must have: games, torrents, ftp, email, translation, messaging, cd-burning, printers

polishing one selected DE can be better for the distro
posted from Porteus

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Post#169 by francois » 30 Nov 2015, 20:52

We are ending the first desktop environment stage with lxde nemesis, I presume. Enough seems to have been done to ascertain the possibilities of arch linux as a distribution viable for the modular structure of porteus.

Brokenman:
I would love to try to create a debian based distro but I have no experience with deb. I wonder what the reaction would have been had I announced a base change to debian.
Who here has not been on debian at one time or another? Who has more knowledge of debian than just more than using it to get it going for day-to-day purspose, that is being more code wise? From what I read, I know a few, but I will not name them.

Question 1.
Is there a fit with arch linux or should debian be the distribution of choice as phhpro and michele have predicted? Brokenman and few more knowledgeable linux IT should be able to state on the experience of nemesis, when they think they could make some conclusions.

Question 2.
What programs would you like to see on the next porteus?
We should replicate as much as possible porteus 3.1 for each desktop environment as these environments with their accompanying packages are the fruit of months, or if not years of discussions and consideration of the developpers for their forum users. With a few exceptions porteus was for its size a mature distribution.

In addition, do you like the actual presentation of porteus? Is it intuitive? Here newcomers should express their impressions, and specially the distro hoppers.

Question 2.1
Who should provide the different desktop environment? The unique developper or the community?
The different desktop environments should be built and maintained by some group of users, so to relief the unique developper burden. Thus brokenman would become more a counsellor than a laborer.

Porteus desktop environments should be built with pman and from base and xorg. A common login manager should be choosen. Sddm could accomodate the main desktop environments and the last one coming in kde5-plasma.

Teams should be constituted around some more knowledgeable computer science individual for each desktop according to their interest. These desktop leaders could be coached by brokenman, the developper. For example, and this is only a fictional example but maybe next to reality, there seems to be some interest of beny, tonio, knallknopf and wread for kde-standard or kde5-plasma. One or the other could be heading the kde-plasma desktop. Concerning the lxde desktop, neko could be the leader, ... ,,, for lxqt blaze or aus9 could be the leader. Forgive me, if I have forgot some people, or if I am flattering the wrong guys. :wink:
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#170 by ralcocer » 30 Nov 2015, 22:55

I just saw this: https://github.com/godane/archiso-live Archiso-Live For Dummies Like Me and You

phhpro
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: .

Post#171 by phhpro » 01 Dec 2015, 03:22

Last edited by phhpro on 04 Feb 2016, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#172 by Tonio » 01 Dec 2015, 15:21

Very true! Godane has not updated anything. But if you are looking for an arch based livecd/dvd there's one by Arne Exton:

http://linux.exton.net/?p=372

Check it out at your risk?

phhpro
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#173 by phhpro » 01 Dec 2015, 22:59

Last edited by phhpro on 04 Feb 2016, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#174 by aus9 » 01 Dec 2015, 23:23

@phhpro
Got an SSL error in Lynx trying the Unicorn W3 Validator site
This is a known bad build error by Offiicial XZ. As root fix it by getting a cert bundle by this command

Code: Select all

update-ca-trust
OFFTOPIC because you have a high post count, I do offer an alternative to non-newbies in the nemesis fourm.
su root went fine, but there was an error of sorts
there should be only one error not multiple.....Failed to connect to bus: Operation not permitted

You will get no errors if you just use sudo <command>

phhpro
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#175 by phhpro » 01 Dec 2015, 23:41

Last edited by phhpro on 04 Feb 2016, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#176 by aus9 » 01 Dec 2015, 23:52

Hi
that would first of all imply the current user to be in the sudoers list && has the appropiate rights, not?
I gather you think there is a problem with brokenman's current etc/sudoers?

As I said it works fine for me. YMMV

forgot to add
----Porteus and Nemesis are designed to have local username as guest and not something you add
I found this out on Porteus. Useradd command is still included tho

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#177 by Tonio » 02 Dec 2015, 01:30

this is only a fictional example but maybe next to reality, there seems to be some interest of beny, tonio, knallknopf and wread for kde-standard or kde5-plasma
I shall be as honest as I can here. I am not that much a power user as I just use desktops as they come from distro, on one machine where KDE works, I use it. On others I use xfce. But as to work with nepomuk* whatever, chop it down, compile/recompile plasma this, plasma there. I am not even close :( You can say for sure wread does get there and beny and them because they do get stuff done, but I do not deserve to be mentioned with them :( They do work on many things I do not. Just on using login managers, I actually prefer to login to level 3 and startx, but I actually cheat I use a trick to login

http://www.fprimex.com/linux/slackware/tips.html

since I am the only user on most of my machines. At school I used the other trick get graphical login and use level 4 and configure KDE autologin.
@All
We can copy JFK a bit :)
Ask not what Porteus can do for you? Ask what you can do for Porteus :) :Yahoo!:
What do we want porteus for us to be? Do we want it as a true take our desktop anywhere? a true pocket OS, or do we just want porteus to be our swiss knife and use it to recover broken systems, etc? I used to do some work with winmodems, but now they are getting to be obsolete :( with wifi systems and broadband internet that work is only history
http://old.slax.org/forum.php?action=v ... orid=4708
Did this for Slax before working on official slackware, also did this with mandrake, red hat, and fedora core through many releases.

http://old.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=366

Created some of these scripts for porteus see some howtos here, but now they are obsolete and going way of the DODO bird :( :wink:
I added some programs(gnuplot, kertex, ghostcript, etc) to make my porteus experience better, but these programs are seldom used and not are on everyone's list :(
@brokenman
how would you delegate/train some of porteus users as to how to add/delete desktops or apps on nemesis based porteus? Will you still consider a slackware variant of porteus where we users collaborate and decide like francois mentions, kde users, xfce users, lxqt/lxde, etc? Christmas is around the corner and time could be in our hands to try and help out in some way when we are away from work :) My $0.02

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Post#178 by francois » 02 Dec 2015, 02:08

@tonio:
I am partly teasing a few on the forum. However, have a look here to install plasma5 on arch linux or nemesis:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE

I was able to do it from arch linux, why wouldn't you be able to do it, nemesis. :twisted:

But maybe, I am going too fast. Brokenman maybe wants to do better for now with lxde, before moving for the following desktops.

@phhpro:
Speed appears much improved. Responsive like hell ...
Skeptics will be confounded. :wink:
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

Igor
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus

Post#179 by Igor » 02 Dec 2015, 21:44

Last edited by Igor on 04 Dec 2015, 16:50, edited 4 times in total.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#180 by Tonio » 03 Dec 2015, 00:34

@Igor
Agree 99.9%. I was trying to point out several times, but you have expressed it much better. Problems I forsee, many users do not want for Porteus to move to Arch Base. The Manjaro folks, archbang, and the arch based livecd/dvd by arne exton already provide a big base and much work behind them. If porteus is to move base over there, why reinvent, get one of the many versions and make scripts to repackage it and create the modular structure there and presto :) But would not offend those developers? This may need more discussion and investigation?
Anyhow at the end of all things, we would see something at a restaurant,
This is not Burger King, You do not get it your way, you get it my way or you do not get the damn thing!
But brokenman, fanthom and many power users are very nice folks that care about us the users and give us choices. Some users could well suggest getting the slackware-live by Alienbob and recreate the porteus structure there update many packages and repackage the 000-kernel, 001-core, 002-whicheverdesktop, ... and so on. What would be easier to do? What would be more appropriate? This is getting to be tough, the blonde lady or the red hair lady? :wink:

Best Regards to all!