Suggestions

Arch based Porteus community project
aus9

Re: Suggestions

Post#151 by aus9 » 11 Jan 2016, 23:55

thanks to Blaze I can see his icon upload includes various network-status icons including as example

which is a percentage bar possibly the wlan strength bar?
and does not appear to be a replacement for the adwaita-icon-theme we discussed in 3.4 series for the missing radio buttons for the network applet to show if network is enabled or disabled or if wireless was enabled or disabled.

I was thinking we might get away with new icon theme and not needing adwaita but size of adwaita is
Total Download Size: 10.24 MiB
Total Installed Size: 23.96 MiB
I will install it and see what the icons are named
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops

Post#152 by brokenman » 11 Jan 2016, 23:57

I think you are mistaken. I'm hard test 16M Oranchelo iconset and all icons are present.
Excellent. I'm happy to be mistaken. You just made a lightweight OS even lighter. I will implement the iconset for LXDE. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#153 by fullmoonremix » 12 Jan 2016, 00:05

Salutations... :good:
Can you perhaps give me a real life scenario I can get my head around?
@brokenman... I revised my previous post. :wink:
Consider this real world example... OpenSSL has well documented exploits (eg. "compromised by design?").
So this begs the question... if you reboot (w/ fresh mode) a compromised binary don't those compromises also reboot?

However... if sandboxed with patches and/or nanokernels the exploits can be eliminated and/or contained.
And any errors introduced by inferior and/or malicious code will NOT destablize/crash the system (hence... "fault tolerance").
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5071&p=40847&hili ... ned#p40847

Once again... (as previously indicated) Hardened Gentoo... Minix and AlpineLinux (Arch) use this approach.
Hardened Gentoo
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened

Best Regards... :beer:
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 12 Jan 2016, 21:07, edited 4 times in total.

aus9

Post#154 by aus9 » 12 Jan 2016, 00:25

post deleted adwaita icon theme updated below
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.5...with a twist

Post#155 by roadie » 12 Jan 2016, 01:47

@brokenman,

I tested the icon set on an Xfce with Nemesis 3.5....the menu displays huge icons for Graphics, Office, Logout, and others. The Office icon is about 2.5 centimetre high by 2 centimetre wide....quite large. The others are smaller, but not much. I also found that memory usage was increased, Thunar took a long time to open and browsing directories was very slow.

I didn't see which icons might be missing as I had to change back, most seem to be there.

aus9

Post#156 by aus9 » 12 Jan 2016, 02:49

edit

I had made an cut down adwaita-icon-theme but only just remembered that I had to delete changes from my previous download and installs so on reboot my cut down does not work. I think I know the reason why....I manually adjusted the .MTREE and .PKGINFO and those have not landed properly.

In pcmanfm at /var/cache/pacman/pkg it is not showing up as a "alpm" package type but as a x-xz-compressed-tar package type.

then when I reversed the unpack to see what happened....I found I lost my mtree and pkginfo stuff .....grrrr

FWIW .MTREE is a gunzipped file without an extension of gz.....when I first viewed it in mc....from unpacking the original adwaita xz file
mc can view the contents by clicking on F3 but I initially could not view it in a text editor.

It was not until I thought why not that I realized what it was.

I will attempt to fix my mistakes and hopefully provide a download link later
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#157 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2016, 01:26

Thanks. It is a purely .svg iconset which I was a little worried about but haven't had a chance to test it in XFCE. They look ok in LXDE.

aus9

Post#158 by aus9 » 13 Jan 2016, 04:42

@brokenman
I deleted and amended my posts as I failed to boot into a no-changes cheatcode so was tricked by my earlier testing.

secondly in pcmanfm if I click on a real XZ the dialop popup box is a re-install box while for my badly designed cut down xz it opens with xarchiver.
Therefore pls do not waste any time testing it as I already know it fails in LXDE

aus9

Post#159 by aus9 » 14 Jan 2016, 00:22

@brokenman regarding network applet radio buttons.

I have made a ABS pkgbuild that downloads the full adwaita-icon-theme and then strips it to just 3 radio buttons and in pcmanfm it looks like an alpm file but it still not woking correctly.

As a work-a-round here is a suggestion

download the source from here
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources ... 8.0.tar.xz

grab the 3 radio svgs from scaleable and add them to
/usr/share/icons/Faenza/status/scalable

As I know you are in chroot next

Code: Select all

gtk-update-icon-cache -q -t -f /usr/share/icons/Faenza/status/scalable
boot up changed system and RH click the nm-applet to confirm you have radio buttons.

I know its not fully professional but hey it works for me. The downside is when members find an update to that iconset.

Do you mind in that case if I post a mini-howto and absolve you from any update issues?

slightly offtopic HMM just found that the adwaita size is not the same as showing in Faenza....maybe I can fix my error after all won't know until tonite

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#160 by brokenman » 14 Jan 2016, 03:36

What is the name of the icons? I can comment them out of my strip script.

aus9

Post#161 by aus9 » 14 Jan 2016, 07:47

I can comment them out of my strip script.
They are not in the iso to begin with so no need to strip. I have made and failed a number of builds all build now well and appear normal but the actual radio buttons are not appearing if I use a pkgbuild for adwaita.

I am tempted to now look at a non-ABS build script that directly creates a dir, downloads and injects the icons and updates the cache
but would that be amenable to you?

the slight advantage of this approach is I will give the /usr/share/icons a unique name so no updates can ever over-write it.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#162 by tome » 14 Jan 2016, 22:53

My propositions:

Support for USB modems out of the box.

If config dir next to porteus dir doesn't exist or is empty the config dir inside porteus dir will be used (if exist).

Add cheatcode noconf - config directory isn't used/read (like norootcopy).

Searching for porteus .sgn file - by default you don't need from= cheatcode for /mnt/sdxY/porteus/ but it could be also unneeded for /mnt/sdxY/porteus-anysuffix/, nemesis-anysuffix, /mnt/sdxY/1/2/porteus-anysuffix/ (/1/2 - maxdepth=2 or 3).

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#163 by brokenman » 15 Jan 2016, 00:52

Support for USB modems out of the box.
Any suggestions on how to realize this would be appreciated. Kernel firmware?
If config dir next to porteus dir doesn't exist or is empty the config dir inside porteus dir will be used (if exist).
If config dir next to porteus doesn't exist then config files won't exist inside Porteus (/etc/porteus.d) since they are copied there during boot.
Add cheatcode noconf - config directory isn't used/read (like norootcopy).
Good idea. If ignore=yes is set in all config files it achieves the same thing, but this is a good option for a quick solution.
They are not in the iso to begin with so no need to strip.
Yes sorry, I misread Adwaita and thought it was Faenza. I will copy the icons from the Adwaita package into my TREE.

aus9

Post#164 by aus9 » 15 Jan 2016, 05:38

script for icons reposted as just tested with a no changes cheatcode

fullmoonremix

Post#165 by fullmoonremix » 15 Jan 2016, 09:45

Salutations... :good:

For your consideration... :wink:

IMHO... :oops: a ultra lightweight (default?) Webkit browser based on FLTK...
(basically a Palemoon/Slimjet alternative)
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/im ... ipedia.png
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Best Regards... :beer:
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 15 Jan 2016, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.