[Solved] Kiosk 3.1 - window manager suggestions

New features which should be implemented in Porteus Kiosk Edition and the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
gmc
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk 3.1

[Solved] Kiosk 3.1 - window manager suggestions

Post#1 by gmc » 28 May 2014, 12:47

First, congratulations for excellent work with Porteus Kiosk 3.1. It works great on most of computers. Nevertheless it has problems with certain specific types of hardware, especially designed for kiosk-type applications : for example: Foxconnn AT-5250, HP Thin Client t510….
Porteus Kiosk starts with HD resolution, instead of default - maximum available resolution. Kiosk with manually preset ( via wizard) resolution 1920 x 1080 exhibits 1024 × 768 kiosk window at top left on the screen.
Comments:
I had possibility to observe similar problem in detail for Fatdog64 software and Foxconnn AT-5250,Intel Dual Core Atom D2550 1.86GHz, Chipset Intel NM10 , VGA Graphics Intel GMA 3650, external monitor LG tv, max resolution 1920x1080. I have discovered that windows manager jwm does not allow to open the full screen windows larger than 1024 × 768, while using other windows managers like OpenBox or ICEWM resolves problem.
On the other hand Fatdogb 64 and Foxconnn nT-i2847 (Intel Dual Core Celeron 1.1GHz, Chipset NM70, VGA Graphics Intel HD GraphicStorage Interface) doesn’t have problems with jwm.
Suggestion:
I would suggest to check how Porteus software behaves with other window managers. It may appear that use one of managers other than installed in Kiosk 3.1 at present make Kiosk much more versatile in combination with untypical hardware. Maybe users could choose different managers via wizard.

gmc
Last edited by gmc on 30 May 2014, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk 3.1 - window manager suggestions

Post#2 by fanthom » 28 May 2014, 14:35

hello gmc,

your bug report looks very familiar to one reported here:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 380#p24016

last post contain solution but i'm not happy that in some cases kiosk does not detect and use maximum supported video mode automatically.
all my PCs around are ok so it's hard for me to debug this.

could you login through ssh and check if xrandr also returns two GPUs?

Code: Select all

xrandr -display :0
would it be possible to check if Porteus Desktop Edition works ok on this hardware? or would it be an option to give me an access to affected hardware through ssh?

btw: we use openbox in kiosk and switching to other wm would be tough as many tweaks relies on rc.xml from openbox pacage.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

gmc
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by gmc » 28 May 2014, 16:48

hello fanthom
At this moment I can give you ssh access only to the kiosk. How I can give you address of the kiosk and password on the root safely!? Sorry for this stupid question but I'm new to the forum. I have no right to send private messages from discussion forum .
If necessary, I will install Porteus Desktop Edition at work tomorrow and I will share it with you in the same way. What version it should be? My hardware is 64bit. What kind of desktop?
thank you
gmc

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 28 May 2014, 18:02

"At this moment I can give you ssh access only to the kiosk."
that's ok

"How I can give you address of the kiosk and password on the root safely!?"
please send me this info on admin@porteus-kiosk.org and specify when i could login. also - be aware that i may need to do few tests like restarting Xorg.

"I have no right to send private messages from discussion forum ."
once you reach 3 posts you'll be able to do it

"What version it should be? My hardware is 64bit. What kind of desktop?"
whichever you prefer. if porteus will run on low specs PC then LXDE will be the best as most lightweight.

thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#5 by fanthom » 29 May 2014, 19:04

for the record - looks like kiosk booted on the nettops like this one:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDe ... -us0000016
sets default display on LVDS-0 (internal non existent display) instead of VGA-0 (external monitor). there is no way to detect that LVDS-0 is not used and i can't do much to fix this permanently.

the only solution is to manually customize kiosk and disable LVDS-0. in similar case please add these two commands to 003-settings.xzm/etc/xdg/openbox/autostart somewhere before firefox goes into loop:

Code: Select all

xrandr --output VGA-0  --auto
xrandr --output LVDS-0 --off
thanks

gmc
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by gmc » 30 May 2014, 06:56

Thank you very much. It works!