How to setting different static IP address from the same CD

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
mturra
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: none

How to setting different static IP address from the same CD

Post#1 by mturra » 07 May 2014, 15:08

I made a kiosk proteus CD with customizations.
I wuold like to use the same CD to start multiple Kiosk pcs specify the static IP address to assign to the network interface.
How cat I start a configuration script asking to user IP, subnet and gateway after boot?

Thanks in advace

airtime
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Mint-Centos-Solydxk-Porteus

Re: How to setting different static IP address from the same

Post#2 by airtime » 24 May 2014, 22:36

Any luck on this? I would also like to be able to change the IP and Hostname. Does not have to be a script per say just point me in the right directions.

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 24 May 2014, 23:39

kiosk respects /etc/rc.d/rc.local script so you could use it to collect the data from the user. please remember to 'killall dhcpcd' prior to initializing networking manually.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

airtime
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by airtime » 25 May 2014, 01:34

/# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# Set hostname:
hostname ky-ttclock1a

exit 0
/# cat /etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# Set hostname:
hostname ky-ttclock1a

exit 0
After I rebooted it deleted rc.local and went back to org name? I even tried placing it in /etc/ but it got deleted too. This is on a hard drive BTW. I am using SSH and SFTP from a another pc to do the changes.

Thanks for the quick response BTW

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 25 May 2014, 02:26

After I rebooted it deleted rc.local and went back to org name?
i think we misunderstood.
i thought you want to be able to setup custom IP and hostname during every kiosk boot. that's why i suggested using rc.local which would ask the user for these data.

if you want to set the IP/hostname only once then you can do this through the wizard (easier way) or you can remaster the ISO manually and burn it again. please refer to manual customization guide :
http://porteus-kiosk.org/kiosk-customization.html

please remember that for security reasons persistence does not exist in Porteus Kiosk so every time you change something you have to create new ISO and burn it in the place of the old one. kiosk supports iso9660 as the only filesystem, no FAT/NTFS or ext*.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

airtime
Ronin
Ronin

Post#6 by airtime » 25 May 2014, 02:45

Thanks for the help.
I am not the person who started this, mturra was and I think that maybe in line with what they wanted. I am not sure. I was just seeing if they was able to do anything and when you responded I tried what you said to do and posted what happend.

I like this Kiosk very much and was just tring to "dummy" it down for the other people where I am , who may have to work with it. I have no trouble using the wizard seems pretty straight forward for me. But I am the only "Linux" person here who will be using/installing this. I like the size and the way it is locked down. Hopefully I will have this place full of Linux machines before I am done. Already got Dashboards running off Raspberry Pi's and got a few Linux servers running Virtual machines. Just people I work with get nervous when I insatll Linux machines. But for what they are wanting this is perfect and I see a need for more. That is why I was tring to see if I could get it down to maybe one or two questions. Hostname and IP then it is done and they dow't have to worry about it any more.

Again great job on this.