New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Locked
chosenbygrace
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 23:43
Distribution: porteus
Location: usa

New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#1 by chosenbygrace » 13 Mar 2014, 20:55

Hi, I have a laptop that has a broken screen, it's unusable, I was hoping so as to save me time (and the many others in the world with laptops like that) should I be stuck with it for long for a version of Port. to be made that auto boots up to an external monitor and auto shuts off the main monitor, and in the external auto enables widgets and the default panel as every time I boot up, I have to do this.

Other requests are for the next versions of Port to include an atomic clock that attempts to check online for the actual time and based on your ip, or asking you your location to set the time. Because I noticed that the time is always wrong on my laptop, and it gets annoying having to do the password entry thing and if I didn't log in as root it won't let me change it, and that also causes a prob for a world time clock addon I use for firefox as it stupidly relies solely on the time on your pc.

Is there any possibility of making a version of Port that is also like the latest Ubuntu, meaning that makes it so you can easily download whatever is available for Port?

Another request I have is for the version of Port I would like, to auto log you in as root, so that if I forget to, it's done anyways. I know the linux culture in general seems to be, "Oh that would be a security risk", but not if you have the choice of what you're downloading, of course someone isn't going to know what root is, but you can explain that in the download with a little sentence or pop up warning.

Oh also can you make this new version I'm asking for media entertainment friendly, because it locks the screen every five mins, and it messes up watching movies, so can you make a version that would accommodate the length of a movie like Hunger Games 2 with a few minutes to sparer so that no one is tempted to curse because they forget after the movie ended it would lock? It's also a bit confusing the way it is set up in KDE, which I suppose has nothing to do with Port, unless you customized it, because it doesn't appear as if you're able to turn off the lock setting as the dot is still in the hole for that. I would like to completely disable it. I noticed that my mouse froze one time after getting out of the lock state, so it appears Port. isn't entirely free of the mouse freezing problem in Linux.

User avatar
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4905
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 14:25
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#2 by francois » 13 Mar 2014, 22:14

broken screen, ... made that auto boots up to an external monitor

I have a laptop in dual display mode. It is possible to boot also exclusively to the second screen with a small script based on the xrandr command. Please start a specific thread on that topic. I will help you with pleasure. Please provide the porteus version and the DE you are using. The specs of you laptop and especially of your standalone display would be usefull.

auto log you in as root

autologin as root is already available with the login=root cheatcode. See main page of porteus forum with the cheatcodes hyperlink to faq for cheatcodes (at the top of Board index). Personally, I always work root mode. I never had any problem of contamination with my computer for years. You have to know what you are doing. You could have more information on the security thread:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2358

you can easily download whatever is available for Port?

The package manager of porteus is really not more complicated than other package managers when you get used to it. Give you some time to understand it. However, you could use slapt-get with its gui front-end gslapt to get a package manager similar to ubuntu synaptic package manager, see:
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1479
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115

The modules can be installed thru usm package manager. If you have some trouble, I will be please to help you. I have worked with that package. Make a help demand on the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

chosenbygrace
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 23:43
Distribution: porteus
Location: usa

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#3 by chosenbygrace » 14 Mar 2014, 04:08

"I have a laptop in dual display mode."

What about it?

"It is possible to boot also exclusively to the second screen with a small script based on the xrandr command."

Like I said, I don't want to type anything. Don't you linux guys get ur not gonna beat windows by insisting people type stuff? How many times does that need to be repeated? MY QUESTION IS IF YOU CAN MAKE SOMETHING I DON'T HAVE TO FIDDLE WITH, not "what else can I typ?".

"Please start a specific thread on that topic."

HUH?

"I will help you with pleasure."

To do what? How to type blah blah? I DON'T WANT TO TYPE! I DON'T WANT TO PROGRAM. Sigh.

"Please provide the porteus version"

Didn't I already say?

"and the DE you are using."

The what?

"The specs of you laptop and especially of your standalone display would be usefull."

unfortunately the model info was on the bottom of my laptop, and it rubbed off long ago. I don't know how to view the hardware info using linux. Oh and I was gonna mention that it doesn't display in 1080p on my external monitor but got confused thinking of my laptop monitor and since i didn't know the model of my laptop didn't say anything. However I can get the model info for my monitor, so I'd like to know, is there a way to easily get Porteus to enable 1080p for the ASUS vs238h-p?

"auto log you in as root

autologin as root is already available with the login=root cheatcode."

If you have to type that IS NOT AUTO. I JUST ASKED IF YOU COULD MAKE IT SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO TYPE AND YOU SAY, "TYPE SUCH AND SUCH". The hell?

"See main page of porteus forum with the cheatcodes hyperlink to faq for cheatcodes (at the top of Board index)."

No thanks.

"Personally, I always work root mode. I never had any problem of contamination with my computer for years."

What's this have to do with my request? Who said there would be problems in root?

"You have to know what you are doing."

Ugh.

"You could have more information on the security thread:"
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=2358

Ugh.

you can easily download whatever is available for Port?

The hell are you quoting this if it is a quote and why? Don't quote something out of context, I hate scrolling up to read what I already wrote!

"The package manager of porteus is really not more complicated than other package managers when you get used to it."

Who the hell said it was? Man, not reading the rest of what you said, bye.

"Give you some time to understand it."

I hate bad grammar bye

However, you could use slapt-get with its gui front-end gslapt to get a package manager similar to ubuntu synaptic package manager, see:
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1479
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115

The modules can be installed thru usm package manager. If you have some trouble, I will be please to help you. I have worked with that package. Make a help demand on the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115[/quote]

User avatar
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4905
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 14:25
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#4 by francois » 14 Mar 2014, 07:52

First, this distribution is not about windows. Personnally, I rather work with nothing than working with the windows os. And in fact, I have stopped using it many years ago, fulfilling all my needs with linux. Porteus is an intelligently designed and efficient operating system, not slowed down with antispyware, antivirus, anti-everything, and not constantly updating itself everyday. If you want to work windows, go and work with windows.

Second, lets see what the developpers are thinking of your supposedly so smart proposed modifications. However, you better change the way you address people on this forum or you might finish asking questions on some other forum.

Good luck All mighty. =@
Last edited by francois on 14 Mar 2014, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

User avatar
freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 382
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 14:21
Distribution: Porteus KDE4
Location: Traveller
Contact:

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#5 by freestyler » 14 Mar 2014, 10:25

I agree with francois and would rather stick my knob into the rusty blades of a running lawnmower than use windoze.
chosenbygrace wrote:"See main page of porteus forum with the cheatcodes hyperlink to faq for cheatcodes (at the top of Board index)."

No thanks.
You don't want to even read the information that you are asking for?
chosenbygrace wrote:"I will help you with pleasure."

To do what? How to type blah blah? I DON'T WANT TO TYPE! I DON'T WANT TO PROGRAM. Sigh.
Maybe you should get a nintendo wii or some other toy, a crayon set or a barbie doll seem more appropriate, you wont have to type anything then. There is no need to be a douche to someone trying to help.
chosenbygrace wrote:If you have to type that IS NOT AUTO. I JUST ASKED IF YOU COULD MAKE IT SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO TYPE AND YOU SAY, "TYPE SUCH AND SUCH". The hell?
Its not going to type itself... Are you expecting to just shout some shit at your laptop and all of a sudden it will do what you like? It's not going to automatically boot as root without you setting it up to.
chosenbygrace wrote:I hate bad grammar bye
I hate bad attitudes. Maybe his first language is not english. Would you prefer he spoke perfect grammar in french?

Goodluck :o
https://www.porteus-apps.org

User avatar
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5439
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 03:50
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#6 by brokenman » 14 Mar 2014, 11:44

You don't have the right attitude to receive help. Abusing people trying to help you will only result in more abuse being thrown back at you. Francois is a gentleman and will no doubt restrain himself.
Francois gave you the information you need. AFTER you set it up, you won't have to type anything. If you don't want to type then use your mouse and on screen keyboard.

Don't you linux guys get ur not gonna beat windows by insisting people type stuff?
We don't want to beat windows. Facebook conquered the world, and ALL you do is type stuff there. How do you survive on a computer without typing?

How many times does that need to be repeated?

It depends how ignorant the listener is.

I don't know how to view the hardware info using linux.
Then use windows. Oh wait, you may have to type something.

"See main page of porteus forum with the cheatcodes hyperlink to faq for cheatcodes (at the top of Board index)."
No thanks.

HUH? You ask for help. You receive it, and then refuse it. Let me guess ... you don't want to read either?

To be quite honest, judging this thread and others you made which I have read, you will be better of asking your question on the windows forums. Maybe they have some click and go solution for your problem. If you continue with this attitude I am simply going to cancel your account here. End of story.

EDIT: Just for the record, your grammar and spelling are much worse than that of Francois, who you are accusing of having bad grammar. :wall:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Feb 2014, 09:17
Distribution: hop_around
Location: Calgary

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#7 by dustbunnies » 15 Mar 2014, 07:08

the dot is still in the hole
Aha, THERE'S the problem!




wow... just wow.

Hey, for the record, I still use windows daily. I can empathize with WinXP emigrants...
but
"Don't you linux guys get ur not gonna beat windows by insisting people type stuff?"
...that empathy doesn't extend to the tile-clicking, Hulu-watching, crowd.

chosenbygrace
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 23:43
Distribution: porteus
Location: usa

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#8 by chosenbygrace » 22 Mar 2014, 07:09

"Second, lets see what the developpers are thinking of your supposedly so smart proposed modifications."

You better change your tone Mr., I detect arrogance and condescension and pride and anger and stuff. Woooooooooooah buddy you need to calm down!

"However, you better change the way you address people on this forum or you might finish asking questions on some other forum."

The hell does that even mean? You better change your attitude Mr., it's hostile and uncalled for. You're angry pride is showing over nothing. Like, uh, grow up n stuff, or whatever. And talk about stupid, you're willing to lose someone with a giant blog that gets many hits a day who can endorse this OS in a great way, over you feeling hurt over... over what? You make begging the question fallacies about "my attitude" and try and tell me I'm in the wrong lol? YOU CAN'T EVEN SPECIFY WHAT INT HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. YOU'RE LIKE A LITTLE GIRL IN A CHATROOM WHO READS TONE WHERE THERE IS NONE. God damn. Grow up. Who gives a sht if you ban me? Like I'm going to submit to a moron nerd angry over???????? QUESTIONS? Then ban me ALMIGHTY ONE. Dumb hypocrite time waster. AND WHAT PEOPLE IDIOT, I'M TALKING TO YOU. DON'T SMEAR ME AND TURN THIS INTO, "UR ATTACKING US ALL". Stupid libeler. What a brat. Be a man, not a "now now now, you hurt me now I'm going to threaten you." Shut up. If you're that weak, if you're the one that I must, that we must rely on for updates, but you're an easily offended weakling, why would we then waste my time on this OS? But okay, shoot yourself, who gives a sht?

"Good luck All mighty. =@"

Dear angry retard: http://eternian.wordpress.com

See that idiot? That's my blog. Are you a Christian? But I am. Idiot. Stop being an angry retard. Can you get ANY DUMBER AND EMBARRASS YOURSELF ANY HARDER? Over WHAT, you asshole, did you call me GOD as if I think I am? Shithead. AND OF ALL THE PEOPLE TO SAY THEY CALL THEMSELVES GOD, YOU'RE SAYING IT TO SOMEONE WHO PROMOTES GOD AND HATES ATHEISM AND SPEAKS OUT AGAINST IT CONSTANTLY, AND WHO EXPOSES PEOPLE WITH GUESS WHAT: NARCISSISTIC PERSONALITY DISORDER. SO, SHUT THE HELL UP YOU MASSIVE MORON. Good riddance time wasting moron.

And "lets see what the developers think". Do you hear your tone? "OOooOOOoO, CHOSENBYGRACE DARED TO MAKE LITTLE SUGGESTIONS, OOOOO LETS SEE WHAT THE DEVELOPERS THINK."

Insane little baby much? I think you have narcissistic personality disorder. Who gets worked up like that over nothing? Only a mentally ill person.

Seeya crazy guy.

chosenbygrace
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 23:43
Distribution: porteus
Location: usa

Re: dNew version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#9 by chosenbygrace » 22 Mar 2014, 07:21

brokenman wrote:You don't have the right attitude to receive help. Abusing people trying to help you will only result in more abuse being thrown back at you.
Dear angry little baby, this is what I have to say to you: You don't have the right attitude to receive help. Abusing people trying to help you will only result in more abuse being thrown back at you.

Wow, look at that, all I had to do was repeat back your angry baby nanny nanny ad hominem attack right back you. That makes me the winner, cuz, hey, if that's your way of reasoning, to make a mere vague unspecific attack, then I can do it to. Do you see what a retard you are, what an unthinking twit you are, an angry lazy minded baby? Why do morons like you NOT TEST YOUR OWN TURD ATTACKS ON YOU?

Listen to yourself you retarded baby: "Oh, you were mean (I'm not going to say how I'm just gonna say you were mean, and commit the begging the question fallacy and ad hominem fallacy at the same time by doing so, making a complete hypocrite of myself) and therefore you can't be helped".

1. Do you know me asshole? No super asshole, you do not.
2. What is your evidence for anything you said super massive mighty all powerful asshole? NONE. JUST YOU, BEING AN ALMIGHTY ASSHOLE. COMMITTING BEGGING THE QUESTION FALLACIES.
3. Narcissists are people who talk like you, they don't specify what they are attacking, but assume a condescending attitude and say, "you're the arrogant one, you can't be helped" like an angry baby. IT'S YOU, DUDE, who can't be helped. You saying, "Ur bad, he was a gentlemen" OVER SOMETHING THAT WAS NO ATTACK, shows you are a narcissistic moron, if not an outright narcissist. Who attacked who idiot? YOU MORONS, ATTACKED ME. NO ONE ATTACKED YOU DELUDED PRIDEFUL NERDS. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH QUOTING YOU AND ASKING, "WHAT IS YOUR POINT". If you read a "tone" of hate into that, that is your problem, you're error. Morons like you NEED TO LEARN WHAT LOGICAL FALLACIES ARE, or you keep committing TIME WASTING IGNORANT CRAP LIKE YOU DID HERE.

You are the arrogant one for talking down to me as if you know me and scolding me OVER YOUR SUBJECTIVE INTERPRETATION YOU MORON (wow, how did that go right past you) over A LITTLE THING. As for "being a gentlemen", the hell is that? What is that secular atheist crap? Are you preaching something to me? I'm not a person who follows Victorian gentlemen rules if that is what you are referring to, I follow CHRISTIAN RULES. IF BLAHBLAH whatever the hell his name is says "I use dual boot" and I ask WHY DOES THAT MATTER, THAT IS NOT AN ATTACK YOU IMBECILES. For you to then rebuke me in infantile anger makes you the ones not being "gentlemen".

How hard was it, for you to reply, "it matters because", "it is relevant because" rather than this TOO LONG DID NOT READ CRAP YOU POSTED?

TALK ABOUT WASTING TIME! TALK ABOUT BEING SELF DEFEATING!

You are arrogant fools. If this is how you intend to "help", your distro will have a small following. Stop being EASILY ANGERED AND QUICK TO ANGER, BOTH OF WHICH YOUR GOD FORBIDS.

You're hurting yourselves more than me with your easily annoyed attitudes. Bye hypocrite judges who think they are the center of the Linux world. WOW. Blind.

chosenbygrace
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 23:43
Distribution: porteus
Location: usa

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#10 by chosenbygrace » 22 Mar 2014, 07:27

By the way if I didn't quote what you said in this thread, it means I didn't bother reading, out of disgust for having my time wasted with the crap I did read.

Do you guys seriously forget, THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS TIME TO WASTE, OR WANTS TO READ USELESS STUFF? THAT NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO CHAT? Is it UNETHICAL, whatever the hell that is, to say, "You're point?" Sure, it may come across like stepping on someone's toes who is being chatty, but you're assuming that anyone wants to engage in that. I DON'T, BECAUSE A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF MY LIFE HAS BEEN WASTED LIKE SOMEONE WHO WAS THROWN INTO JAIL OR PRISON FOR YEARS AND DIDN'T DESERVE IT. I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ONE SECOND. SEE IT FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE IF YOU CAN. IMAGINE YOUR TIME BEING WASTED LEFT AND RIGHT, and then someone like you guys talks down to me OVER NOTHING, over me barely saying anything, like I'm the devil. And then you pretend to be good and nice merely because you didn't say, "I hate you."

I didn't say, "I hate you" either :)

Now go ban me, I'm not coming back anyways. You wasted too much of my time.

User avatar
fanthom
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4548
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 02:42
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk
Location: Poland, currently - Cork, IE
Contact:

Re: New version of Porteus that boots up in a different way

Post#11 by fanthom » 22 Mar 2014, 08:58

thread locked.

and yes - please dont come back.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Locked