[Solved] Asus EEE Box hangs waiting for network.

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
grantg
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.0rc2

[Solved] Asus EEE Box hangs waiting for network.

Post#1 by grantg » 14 Feb 2014, 18:22

Hi I have an Asus EEE Box P/N: EB1007P that I'm making a Kiosk out of.

The issue is that when it boots up, the network connection takes almost a minute to become active. This gives a "server not found error" in Firefox. This is repeatable.

I took the image, moved it to an old laptop and it booted first and every time perfectly.

Could this be a driver issue and is it correctable?

Thanks in advance.

Grant.
Last edited by grantg on 20 Feb 2014, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Asus EEE Box hangs waiting for network to initialize.

Post#2 by brokenman » 14 Feb 2014, 19:05

Will the machine only be used in one place? Can you test saving the network connection configuration to somewhere within the kiosk and see if it connects before ff opens?

Also try doing the same (saving network configs) with a normal porteus install and see if firefox opens immediately. Boot with the cheatcode: guiexec=firefox to get firefox to open as soon as possible.
Network configs are found in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ in standard porteus.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Asus EEE Box hangs waiting for network to initialize.

Post#3 by fanthom » 14 Feb 2014, 19:36

by default kiosk waits 30 secs for wired connection and 60 secs for wireless.
you could rise these values in 003-settings/xzm/etc/xdg/openbox/autostart

Code: Select all

# Wait on internet connection before launching firefox:                                                                                                                                                            
GTW=`route -n | grep -c " UG "`; [ -d /lib/firmware/brcm ] && SLEEP=60 || SLEEP=30                                                                                                                               
while [ $GTW -lt 1 -a $SLEEP -gt 0 ]; do                                                                                                                                                                           
    sleep 1; let SLEEP=SLEEP-1; GTW=`route -n | grep -c " UG "`                                                                                                                                                    
done
please refer to KIosk FAQ how to perform ISO customization.

btw: waiting over 60 secs on connection is very unusual so it could be a driver/missing firmware issue. would be good if you could boot our desktop edition on this PC and provide report generated by 'xpsinfo' utility so i could check whats happening.
thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

grantg
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.0rc2

Re: [Solved] Asus EEE Box hangs waiting for network.

Post#4 by grantg » 20 Feb 2014, 01:01

Thanks Brokenman and Fanthom. It turned out to be a network issue. We are now troubleshooting this. The ISO image worked perfectly at another station.