[Solved] Opera - Print as PDF not open by Okular

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
firefoxjet
White ninja
White ninja

[Solved] Opera - Print as PDF not open by Okular

Post#1 by firefoxjet » 15 Nov 2013, 16:12

Hi,

I am running Porteus 2.1 64bit. I have downloaded via PPM the latest Opera 12.16 with dependences and activated all of them. All is OK but when I want to print a page as PDF from Opera (Print) and then open the produced PDF, I receive the following message from Okular: "Could not open /root/print.pdf" (that is the default location of the previously created PDF). I know I can open other PDF and all works fine with Firefox and Okular.

I know I should not run as ROOT :D and I did not test this under Guest yet, but I wonder if you can try to reproduce the same error on your installation. If all works for you, I can provide further information on my installation but it is pretty standard with only core modules downloaded from the Porteus website.

Thanks and regards.
FireFoxJet
Last edited by firefoxjet on 18 Nov 2013, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Opera - Print as PDF not open by Okular

Post#2 by brokenman » 16 Nov 2013, 21:29

In which desktop does this occur?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 16 Nov 2013, 21:44

this is KDE4 and Okular does not support postscript files by default (deps are too big). please download 'libspectre' and deps from porteus repo and all should be ok.

btw: opera creates postscript files not .pdf (thus troubles you are experiencing).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

firefoxjet
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by firefoxjet » 18 Nov 2013, 16:34

I confirm that it is KDE4. Many thanks Fanthom, installing "libspectre" now Okular works.

I was on the wrong track as the Opera "print" option allows for both PDF and PostScript generation. Now, even if I choose print as PDF from the print menu, I can see the postscript generated file with Okular even if it has .PDF extension. Of course, opening the same .PDF file with Acrobat, the error persists (as in reality, as you mentioned, it is a PostScript and not a PDF file).

Thanks again. I am marking this [Solved].

Cheers,
FireFoxJet