from_dir cheatcode not working

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Post Reply
guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#1 by guimenez » 21 Jun 2013, 09:05

Hi,
I'm trying to change the folder of porteus with the from_dir cheatcode but its not working.
I have 2 menus:
- Porteus liveCd
- Gparted (opens porteus and then gparted with gparted command in the startup folder)

The main problem its that i need to have too porteus folder, one for the live version and another for gparted that as the gparted command in the autostart folder.
So, i rename porteus do porteusGparted and the other porteus folder i renamed to another name just for testing purposes.
But i'm putting from_dir=/porteusGparted and nothing.
It can't find the porteus folder

Please any help will be appreciated.

Can i run gparted from the cheatcode: autoexec? or i just can run MC and STARTX?

many thaks

User avatar
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5504
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 03:50
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#2 by brokenman » 21 Jun 2013, 20:19

When you post please tell us which version of Porteus you are using so we can better assist you.

Please read the boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt file which tells you how to use the from= cheatcode. If you are using a more recent version of Porteus (such as v2.0+) then the from_dir cheat was changed to from=/path/to/porteus

The cheatcodes.txt file will contain the correct syntax. I hope that helps.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

User avatar
fanthom
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4590
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 02:42
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk
Location: Poland, currently - Cork, IE
Contact:

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#3 by fanthom » 21 Jun 2013, 21:12

Can i run gparted from the cheatcode: autoexec?
unfortunately autoexec= is for cli stuff only. many people asked about this before so we may introduce new cheatcodes in rc2 of 2.1
'cliexec=' (renamed from autoexec to avoid confusion) for console commands before porteus enters GUI
'guiexec=' for actions taken when GUI is started

@brokenman/ahau - what do you think?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#4 by guimenez » 21 Jun 2013, 21:33

fanthom wrote:
Can i run gparted from the cheatcode: autoexec?
unfortunately autoexec= is for cli stuff only. many people asked about this before so we may introduce new cheatcodes in rc2 of 2.1
'cliexec=' (renamed from autoexec to avoid confusion) for console commands before porteus enters GUI
'guiexec=' for actions taken when GUI is started

@brokenman/ahau - what do you think?
Wow that option will just be fantastic :).
I'm using porteus rc 2.1 and i try first to use from=/porteusGparted but the same error (can't find porteus data).
Or i need to put /porteusGparted/another porteus subfolder?

I just love porteus its so fast to start and simple to use and to have in my pen boot.

Thanks

User avatar
fanthom
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4590
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 02:42
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk
Location: Poland, currently - Cork, IE
Contact:

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#5 by fanthom » 21 Jun 2013, 23:36

I'm using porteus rc 2.1 and i try first to use from=/porteusGparted but the same error (can't find porteus data).
as mentioned previously: please refer to /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt which tell you how to use this cheatcode.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#6 by guimenez » 22 Jun 2013, 09:51

fanthom wrote:
I'm using porteus rc 2.1 and i try first to use from=/porteusGparted but the same error (can't find porteus data).
as mentioned previously: please refer to /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt which tell you how to use this cheatcode.
I'm using the cheatcodes from the cheatcodes.txt

this is my cheatcode:
1 - from=/porteusGparted timezone=Europe/London volume=85% kmap=pt login=root
2 - from=/mnt/sdb2/porteusGparted timezone=Europe/London volume=85% kmap=pt login=root

None of them works, it always says from= invalid cheatcode
thats why i've tryed from_dir= and with that it doesn't give me errors but it doesn't work too :(

any help please?

thanks

User avatar
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4990
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 14:25
Distribution: kde xfce porteus manjaro kubun
Location: Enfin l'été, le changement climatique attendu: le soleil.

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#7 by francois » 22 Jun 2013, 11:57

@gimenez:
If I understand what you do as you describe in the first post, you are renaming the porteus folder. Which is a thing that you cannot do.

Here is an example of my menu.lst which will offer thru grub the two options, one for always fresh and the other for save change options.

Code: Select all

title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE always fresh 
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes= login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE    
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes=EXIT:/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/ login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot
title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE always fresh 
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes= login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

title porteus v2_64 on sda


The structure of your folders should look exactly the same:
/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE containing boot and porteus folders, except that in one of the two installations the /porteus/modules folder will have in it gparted.

Just rename the folders according to your actual structure. :)
Voltaire: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#8 by guimenez » 22 Jun 2013, 12:57

francois wrote:@gimenez:
If I understand what you do as you describe in the first post, you are renaming the porteus folder. Which is a thing that you cannot do.

Here is an example of my menu.lst which will offer thru grub the two options, one for always fresh and the other for save change options.

Code: Select all

title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE always fresh 
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes= login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE    
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes=EXIT:/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/ login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot
title porteus v2_64 on sda5 64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE always fresh 
root (hd0,4)
kernel /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE changes= login=root
initrd /64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

title porteus v2_64 on sda


The structure of your folders should look exactly the same:
/dev/sda5/64bit_v2.1rc1_KDE containing boot and porteus folders, except that in one of the two installations the /porteus/modules folder will have in it gparted.

Just rename the folders according to your actual structure. :)
Big thanks its just working perfectly :D:D

Another question i've a menu that run MC:

Code: Select all

Title File Management
kernel /porteus_live/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sdb2/porteus_live timezone=Europe/London volume=85% kmap=pt login=root autoexec=mc;shutdown now
initrd /porteus_live/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
Is it possible to shuwdown the system after closing MC, with the commands above doesn't work :(

thanks once again

User avatar
fanthom
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4590
Joined: 28 Dec 2010, 02:42
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk
Location: Poland, currently - Cork, IE
Contact:

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#9 by fanthom » 22 Jun 2013, 14:18

use '~' for spaces (described in cheatcodes.txt) and switch runlevel to 0 which is a proper way of shutting down slackware:

Code: Select all

autoexec=mc~&&~init~0
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#10 by guimenez » 22 Jun 2013, 15:13

fanthom wrote:use '~' for spaces (described in cheatcodes.txt) and switch runlevel to 0 which is a proper way of shutting down slackware:

Code: Select all

autoexec=mc~&&~init~0
Just amazing, its working perfect now.
Many and many thanks

User avatar
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5504
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 03:50
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#11 by brokenman » 22 Jun 2013, 22:08

I like the idea of a cheatcode for starting a GUI app. Some people may just want to start it for one session.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 12:45
Location: Portugal

Re: from_dir cheatcode not working

Post#12 by guimenez » 22 Jun 2013, 22:13

brokenman wrote:I like the idea of a cheatcode for starting a GUI app. Some people may just want to start it for one session.
Yes, its a great idea.
I can make multiple menus to open gparted, savepart, mc, clonezilla, etc with just one porteus folder :)

Post Reply