Put your public terminals into a state of blissful bondage with Porteus Kiosk Edition Version 2.0.1!
This distribution release includes bug fixes, software updates and new features. At a mere 37 megabytes, Porteus Kiosk Edition is stripped bare and tied down for your enjoyment and peace of mind. The ISO includes just the libraries and utilities required to run Firefox, making this a perfect for kiosks and other web terminals. You can also download our updated kiosk wizard, which automates the customization of the Kiosk edition while keeping it secure.
Here's our changelog from v2.0 to 2.0.1:
- upgraded linux kernel to 3.8.6
- kernel config: added support for touchscreen devices and 10Gb network cards
- upgraded Firefox to version 20.0
- upgraded flashplayer to version 18.104.22.1685
- added the following userspace xf86-input drivers: acecad, aiptek, elographics, mutouch, penmount
- upgraded all xorg drivers (input, video) to latest versions
- added drivers for better handling Porteus Kiosk in VMware Player
- booting media is kept mounted after boot so ejecting the CD manually is not possible
- fixed firefox url agent so it won't switch to the mobile version of the websites anymore
- default ISO is no longer in the 'isohybrid' format, due to the bug described here: link.
Note that with this change, the default ISO can still be burned to a CD/DVD, but it cannot be installed on a flash or hard drive. For those installations, please run the kiosk wizard and select an option to convert the ISO to the isohybrid format.
- screensaver is disabled with the 'xset' utility
- brought back the missing 'set kbd layout' and 'disable firewall' options
- homepage URL can now contain special characters like '&'
- added statically linked 'mkisofs' utility as Debian systems have it under different name (genisoimage) and wizard did not work under those systems
New features in the wizard:
- option for shutting down firefox after a certain period of keyboard/mouse inactivity. Caches get cleared and the browser restarts when the user moves or clicks the mouse or presses any key on the keyboard.
- create a hybrid ISO image, please make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the isohybrid format before making your custom Kiosk ISO hybrid.
You can download the ISO and the wizard from Kiosk download page:
For more information on installing and customizing Porteus Kiosk Edition, please visit the Kiosk FAQ:
Thanks for using Porteus!
1 post • Page 1 of 1