RazorQt Desktop Preview

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

RazorQt Desktop Preview

Post#1 by wread » 02 Dec 2012, 14:16

Razor is a newly introduced desktop environment, in development by the Qt team. I read the reviews, and experimented with it. this is how it looks:

Main feature is the use of the power of, for instance, KDE4 applications without the penalty of bloating Akonadi and/or Nepomuk. It still lacks of language and keyboard selection tools. Size is only 6.9 MB!

I downloaded version 0.5.0, compiled it and added Porteus stuff to hang it in my system as 003-razorqt.xzm module (I took out 003-lxde.xzm years ago). A patch to modify rc.M in 001-core is necessary as well as a modified porteus.cfg in /boot.

For those of you who want to experiment with it, I will post my files here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?1y7pj785i22bp

It has no splash screen, so when it comes up, you will get a black screen during about a minute before the cursor arrow comes to live and you know it is working! I am using it right now.....

Enjoy!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: RazorQt Desktop Preview

Post#2 by brokenman » 03 Dec 2012, 15:08

Here is Porteus running a gnome mate desktop.

Video here
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

mufeed2012
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus, SliTaz, Ubuntu

Post#3 by mufeed2012 » 08 Dec 2012, 15:41

wread wrote:Razor is a newly introduced desktop environment, in development by the Qt team. I read the reviews, and experimented with it. this is how it looks:

Main feature is the use of the power of, for instance, KDE4 applications without the penalty of bloating Akonadi and/or Nepomuk. It still lacks of language and keyboard selection tools. Size is only 6.9 MB!

I downloaded version 0.5.0, compiled it and added Porteus stuff to hang it in my system as 003-razorqt.xzm module (I took out 003-lxde.xzm years ago). A patch to modify rc.M in 001-core is necessary as well as a modified porteus.cfg in /boot.

For those of you who want to experiment with it, I will post my files here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?1y7pj785i22bp

It has no splash screen, so when it comes up, you will get a black screen during about a minute before the cursor arrow comes to live and you know it is working! I am using it right now.....

Enjoy!
This does not work for me! It takes me back to the login screen.
Why's that?

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 08 Dec 2012, 18:51

Hi mufeed1012!

You are running Porteus-1.2-32-bits, downloaded 3 files: 001-rzcore-patch.xzm and 003-razorqt.xzm you should put in base, move your 003-lxde.xzm to optional to save it. Move your /boot/porteus.cfg to optional too, and put the new downloaded porteus.cfg in /boot/porteus.cfg. Reboot and choose the second line, now RazorQt (instead of LXDE) and you should get the DE shown in the snapshot.

You can test if your system is ok by starting the system in text mode as root, running xconf, then xinit and, after moving the cursor into the window, type startrazor. This does the same as above. Try it.

Good luck :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 08 Dec 2012, 19:59

It still lacks of language and keyboard selection tools. Size is only 6.9 MB!
Please keep in mind that the latest stable version is 0.5.1 and the next 32bit v2.0 Porteus will use this desktop complete with language and keyboard selection tools (and much much more).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.