The Porteus Community is proud to announce the release of Porteus Version 1.2!
Porteus is a light-weight, highly configurable and flexible live distribution based on Slackware that is optimized to run from USB drives, flash cards, CDs or other storage media. We strive to make Porteus clean, efficient and powerful while remaining easy to use.
The 32-bit edition comes with Lxde and Trinity, and the 64-bit edition has Lxde and KDE4 as the choice for desktops. The Xfce edition can be downloaded as a separate ISO for both architectures. This is the last Porteus release claiming binary compatibility with Slackware-13.37. The next version will be based on the upcoming Slackware-14.0.
Major changes from Porteus Version 1.1 include:
- kernel bumped to version 3.4.4
- KDE upgraded to 4.8.4
- Trinity upgraded to 220.127.116.11 (R14)
- Lxde upgraded to the latest stable components: http://blog.lxde.org/
- Xfce (4.10) editions have been added for both architectures as standalone ISOs
- Firefox upgraded to version 13.0.1
- replaced Wicd with Network Manager
- new and improved applications to handle system configuration (Porteus Settings Centre, Language Selection Tool, Magic Folders, etc)
- optimized booting time - with current implementation of rc* scripts Porteus is one of the fastest booting live linux distros out there (why would Slackware need systemd?).
- added support for batch activation/deactivation of modules, so this process is also much faster now
- new cheatcodes: base_only, norootcopy, noautologin, volume
- added support for encrypted save.dat containers
- lots of other tweaks and package substitutions
ISO's and additional drivers/modules can be downloaded from the following links:
Give us the feedback about this release:
The Porteus developers would like to thank everyone who helped out by making suggestions, testing, using, or contributing to this release in any way. As always, this includes our families, who put up with us taking the time to put this all together.