USM - Updates fail

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
geocacher
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.22

USM - Updates fail

Post#1 by geocacher » 16 Nov 2017, 20:24

Greetings,
I have installed Porteus on a Wyse R90L thin client machine and all appears to run in pretty good order. I next wanted to install Xastir. I decided to first go through the update manager tool. As soon as I start the application, it pops up with a notice that indicates missing database files with an instructional message to run 'updates'. I run the updates by selecting 'update all' from the drop down menu and a terminal window opens showing the progress of file downloads etc. The process consistently fails at one point - txt.gz (I think this is the correct name - I am not in front of the machine currently as I write this). It comes up with a 'failure' message. I am not sure what to look for and why it consistently quits the process at this same point each time. Any ideas? Thanks

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO

USM - Updates fail

Post#2 by Ed_P » 16 Nov 2017, 22:30

It means one of the mirrors has a corrupted file. There are a couple of options to try. Check out this thread: [INFO & SCRIPT] Slackware Mirror Settings for USM for one approach. And this posting for another: Re: Save files (Post by Ed_P #54673).
Ed

cestrian
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2, Linux Mint 18.1

USM - Updates fail

Post#3 by cestrian » 16 Nov 2017, 23:23

I'm a fellow newbie but this was my simple solution to the USM update failing on the salix repository:

1. Create the following folder path in rootcopy: /mnt/sda1/porteus/rootcopy/etc/usm
2. Copy in mirrors-salix.txt from etc/usm
3. Edit this mirrors-salix by commenting out the uncommented mirror (i.e. the dud one) and uncommenting any other one
4. Reboot and Hey Presto! :good:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 3.2.2 64-bit ISO

USM - Updates fail

Post#4 by Ed_P » 17 Nov 2017, 00:56

cestrian wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 23:23
3. Edit this mirrors-salix by commenting out the uncommented mirror (i.e. the dud one) and uncommenting any other one
Actually this approach works just editing the file in /etc/usm and restarting USM.
Ed

geocacher
White ninja
White ninja

USM - Updates fail

Post#5 by geocacher » 05 Dec 2017, 20:03

OH - I had missed these responses (the response notifier must have died on me) and moved on to give Puppy Linux a try. Puppy installed and updated itself, however, I have not been able to successfully get Wine to install and run so I could get the APRS program up and running. I still have my Porteus ISO file, so I may go back to this distribution (I do like the appearance of it better than Puppy) and then give the above steps a try. Thanks

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v3.2rcX all desktops

USM - Updates fail

Post#6 by brokenman » 05 Dec 2017, 22:37

:Yahoo!:
For a newbie you did surprisingly well! This is exactly what I would have done. Everything exactly the same, except for the puppy part.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

geocacher
White ninja
White ninja

USM - Updates fail

Post#7 by geocacher » 06 Dec 2017, 22:38

brokenman wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 22:37
:Yahoo!:
For a newbie you did surprisingly well! This is exactly what I would have done. Everything exactly the same, except for the puppy part.