MOFO_LINUX Version 1.0 installation problems [SOLVED]

MOFO Linux is secure, free (as in freedom and beer), and effective in penetrating "national firewalls" designed to inhibit freedom of speech. It's a specialized version of Porteus Linux, designed for overcoming internet filtering and surveillance imposed by service providers, governments, or other entities.
Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Linux Mint

MOFO_LINUX Version 1.0 installation problems [SOLVED]

Post#1 by Andreshko » 02 Feb 2012, 23:57

Hi,
I am installing mofo_linux Ver. 1.0 on an SDcard 8GB, formated with ext2, using CygWin on Windows 7 x32.
First MD5 SUM for Firefox package is not OKA, but fail.
After continuing and starting with making SDcard bootable I receive the message:

Flushing filesystem buffers, this may take a while...
Setting up boot record for E:...
./syslinux/bootextlinux.sh: line 114: ./boot/syslinux/extlinux: cannot execute binary file

ldd extlinux give me :

ldd extlinux
ldd: extlinux: Exec format error

Please help!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: MOFO_LINUX Version 1.0

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Feb 2012, 00:43

Welcome on board Andreshko,

i guess that MOFO_LINUX is the Porteus derivative and it's based on Porteus-1.0 - is it?
if that's true then extlinux was still linked dynamically in this version and probably your cygwin setup is short of some shared libraries.

possible solutions:
1) while you are on Win7 you can always run 'win_start_here.hta' script which should work just fine.
2) if 'win_start_here.hta' was removed from MOFO_LINUX-1.0 then you can download Porteus-1.1 and copy /boot/syslinux/extlinux utility (which is linked statically in this version) to MOFO_LINUX and perform installation as previously.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Andreshko » 06 Feb 2012, 14:25

Hi Fanthom,
thank you for the warm welcome!
Yes, MOFO_LINUX is the Porteus derivative and it's based on Porteus-1.0.
I have chosen to install MOFO_LINUX and not Porteus 1.1, because MOFO is advertised as:

"... is secure, free (as in freedom and beer), and effective in penetrating "national firewalls" designed to inhibit freedom of speech"
"...is a specialized version of Porteus Linux, designed for overcoming internet filtering and surveillance imposed by service providers, governments, or other entities.
MOFO Linux has networking settings optimized for high speed, uncensored DNS resolution, and easy OpenVPN usage"

I am not aware if the Porteus itself offers the same capabilities? If so, I would rather prefer to have Porteus installed, as the Forum offers a lot more discussions, then MOFO LINUX, where the info is very poor.

Regarding the 'win_start_here.hta' - yes it works on FAT formatted SD card, but the problem is - additional configuration is needed in order to have an writable version of the MOFO_LINUX, installed on the SD card.
That's the reason why I have formatted the SD card with EXT2 and try to start the Linux script for making the SD card bootable, where the error occurs.

Thank you in advance for your answer about the capabilities in Porteus - the only thing I need is a quick loaded OS with secure unrestricted Internet access all over the world, installed on an SD card with a write possibility ( and not clean start, every time I start the OS ).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 07 Feb 2012, 02:30

I am not aware if the Porteus itself offers the same capabilities?
not by default but it should be easy to extend it's functionality by additional modules. everything what's available for MOFO_LINUX should be accessible for Porteus as well (unless MOFO_LINUX devs write some proprietary software for their distro)
That's the reason why I have formatted the SD card with EXT2
so you should take my second advice:
"download Porteus-1.1 and copy /boot/syslinux/extlinux utility (which is linked statically in this version) to MOFO_LINUX and perform installation as previously."
or
you could divide sd card in 2 partitions:
first one formatted with FAT where MOFO_LINUX data would be kept (you could use win_start_here.mta to make it bootable) and second one formatted with ext2 (or better ext4) for saving changes. you could create some unique name folder (like mofo-changes) on second partition and boot with 'changes=mofo-changes' cheatcode.

Cheers

Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Andreshko » 08 Feb 2012, 22:58

Thank you Fanthom,
for the prompt response.
I will give it a try and will let you know the results.
I had think, the MOFO_LINUX is developed by the same team, developing the Porteus, but obviously this is not true.

have a nice day!

Posted after 1 day 13 hours 24 minutes 49 seconds:
Hi fanthom,
I am still trying to start the Linux formatting script on an SD card formatted with ext2. For this purpose, I have installed the VirtualBox and now the problem is that Porteus 1.1, started in the VirtualBox , doesn't recognize the SD Card, attached to the host.
Any help here will be highly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 08 Feb 2012, 23:21

I have installed the VirtualBox and now the problem is that Porteus 1.1, started in the VirtualBox , doesn't recognize the SD Card, attached to the host.
i think only usb sticks can be passed to Vbox. luckilly there is another option:

a) format sd card as FAT and use 'win_start_here.hta' to make it bootable
b) boot MOFO_LINUX to text mode with 'copy2ram' boot parameter (not sure how big MOFO_LINUX is and how much momory you have so you may need to remove some modules for this operation, in general 000-kernel + 001-core should be enough)
c) make sure that booting media (sd card) was unmounted during boot
d) format sd card with ext2 (no worries - MOFO is in RAM so it wont harm)
e) copy all MOFO data from your hd to sd card
f) run /boot/lin_start_here.sh and choose ext* installation option

should be ok then :)

Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Andreshko » 09 Feb 2012, 22:22

Thank you fanthom very much. That was tricky.
So now the neard using following command:xt problem: I have formatted the SD card with following command:
mkfs.ext4 -v /dev/sdb1. Everything good so far, but the device can not be mounted. The command : mont /dev/sdb1 returns:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Please help!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 10 Feb 2012, 07:56

i guess that you have run 'mount /mnt/sdb1' and that did not work as /etc/fstab contains an old entry for FAT.
please run mount command with all parameters instead: 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1'+

Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by Andreshko » 10 Feb 2012, 22:43

Thank you fanthom for your assistance.
It has worked. Now I am loading from ext4 partition.
BUT!
2 things to mention.
I replaced the syslinux directory from the MOFO_LINUX iso with the Porteus 1.1 syslinux.
I go to mnt/sdc1/boot and start lin_start_here.sh.
Choose 6st menu, the script says similar to following:
"
Please enter the path to your porteus directory:
For example: /mnt/sda5/porteus

./syslinux/bootsyslinux.sh error in the bootsyslinux.sh: cd: ./syslinux no such a file or directory
"
After restoring the original syslinux, the scrint runs okay, but the MD5 SUM for firefox is wrong.
There is no Firefox application installed in the OS.
From here 2 questions:
1. Where and how to install the firefox application in the newly created USB drive
2. The monitor of my netbook is too small. I have attached a second Monitor, but I can not configure it to show the desktop. It works with Windows on the same netbook.
Thank you once again for your help it was very timesaving.
Thank you!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 11 Feb 2012, 20:22

glad that it worked :)
After restoring the original syslinux, the scrint runs okay,
probably there were some script changes between 1.0 and 1.1
Where and how to install the firefox application in the newly created USB drive
you can get it from our repo:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/current/ex ... irefox.xzm
put in /porteus/modules and activate or reboot.
he monitor of my netbook is too small. I have attached a second Monitor, but I can not configure it to show the desktop.
i really dont know which software is included in MOFO_LINUX (kde? lxde?) and which does not. i would be better to contact it's original developers and ask such questions to them.
if you have KDE (Trinity) over there then you can run kmenu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Multiple monitors and play with settings over there.

btw: these questions are becoming out of topic.
if you have more issues than please PM me and i'll create MOFO_LINUX subsection in "Porteus Derivatives":
http://porteus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=58

be aware that derivatives has lower priority so you may wait a bit for an answer.

Andreshko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by Andreshko » 13 Feb 2012, 18:49

Thank you fanthom,
for all your time and help and thank you for creating subsection in Porteus derivative,
as I am not aware of the original developers andI am not sure I can contact them.