Splash Screen backgnd resolun vs desktop resolun [SOLVED]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
starman3000
White ninja
White ninja

Splash Screen backgnd resolun vs desktop resolun [SOLVED]

Post#1 by starman3000 » 16 Jan 2012, 05:27

I've noticed that the background image for the splash screen is the same (default) background image for the desktop. I've also noticed that if default.jpg is anything other than 1600x1200, it doesn't display properly on the splash screen background. Is there any way to fix the splash screen resolution or to use separate images for the splash screen and desktop?

I've searched here in the forums and elsewhere on the Internet and have not found an answer.

Oh, and if it matters, I'm using the 64 bit edition of Porteus and KDE 4.
Last edited by starman3000 on 27 Jan 2012, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
- There's only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count in binary and those that can't.
- There's no place like 127.0.0.1 (IPv6 version: There's no place like ::1)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Splash Screen background resolution vs desktop resolutio

Post#2 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2012, 08:36

@starman3000
welcome on board :)
've noticed that the background image for the splash screen is the same (default) background image for the desktop.
this is correct. 2 reasons for that:
a) i think default kde-4 wallpaper looks really good with ksplash theme (matter of preferences)
b) i wanted to save some space in the ISO image :)
Is there any way to fix the splash screen resolution or to use separate images for the splash screen and desktop?
there are few ways to achieve this goal:
a) change default wallpaper to anything different than /usr/share/wallpapers/default.jpg (ksplash will remain the same)
b) change ksplash theme to anything different than /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Default (wallpaper will remain the same)
c) copy /usr/share/wallpapers/default.jpg to /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Default (replace symlink) and then replace /usr/share/wallpapers/default.jpg with your new wallpaper (ksplash will remain the same while wallpaper will be set to your own one)

"c" is probably the solution you are looking for :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

starman3000
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Splash Screen background resolution vs desktop resolutio

Post#3 by starman3000 » 16 Jan 2012, 17:12

Success!

I used option "C". I kind of figured the solution would be something along those lines... I just didn't know where in the filesystem to look. I actually went as far as to /rootcopy description.txt to change the filename needed for the splashscreen background.

Thanks for the help. No doubt I will have more questions in the future.
- There's only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count in binary and those that can't.
- There's no place like 127.0.0.1 (IPv6 version: There's no place like ::1)