Install applications from source

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
geocacher
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.22

Post#1 by geocacher » 30 Oct 2017, 17:33

Greetings,
I have been playing with Porteus on an old Wyse Thin Client PC that has a 1 gig flash memory card and Windows XP embed as the OS. Porteus has been working well with hardware running from a USB memory stick. I wanted to install Porteus to the flash memory card - replacing Windows XP emdbed. I then wanted to install Xastir, which is an APRS program for Ham Radio as well as an application to interface my Davis weather station. Both the APRS and the weather station connect to the PC via serial port (yes, the PC has two). I was wondering if Porteus can be installed to a flash memory card (frugal install) and if Xastir can be compiled to run under Porteus. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#2 by brokenman » 30 Oct 2017, 22:41

Yes Porteus can certainly be installed to the flash memory. Xastir also runs fine. Be sure to install activate the devel module for your version of Porteus and then install motif before compiling Xastir-2.0.9. I compiled it on cinnamon desktop no problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/kozgljd6l ... xastir.png
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

geocacher
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.22

Post#3 by geocacher » 31 Oct 2017, 18:49

Thanks for your reply! Glad Xastir will work with Porteus. I have successfully installed Porteus on the Flash Memory of the Wyse thin client machine and all is working as expected. Now on to configuring the WiFi USB dongle so I can get on the internet to retrieve motif and Xastir along with anything else I might need to get this working...