Saving changes doesn't work

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
overkill22
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: mint cinnamon

Post#1 by overkill22 » 29 Oct 2017, 06:04

Hi guys,
I discovered this distro recently and I'm trying to see if it fits my need.
I need to have a distro that runs live where I can save some files and install a couple of programs.

I followed the tutorials to install Porteus on a USB flash drive. Using my laptop with another linux distro, I copied the /boot and /porteus folders into the selected USB flash drive, then running the installer (as described in the guide). I successfully created 2 USB flash drive using this system (filesystem FAT32). Instead, creating a USB flash drive from a live Porteus distro and using the Porteus installer, failed 3 times (installation was ok but then USB couldn't boot even if I installed the bootloader). However this is not my problem now.

On the working USB flash drive, I followed the procedure to create a .dat file for saving my settings (encrypted). I then successfully update the config file in /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg using root permission.
I then reboot in Porteus, made the changes (desktop background + copy a couple of file on the desktop) and then reboot again. The changes were not saved. Background is the default one, and the files are gone. I then checked the config files, and it has the right path to my .dat file.

So what am I doing wrong?
Would it be possible to install a program that will remain installed?

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#2 by Blaze » 29 Oct 2017, 09:58

Hi overkill22.
1) Do you use GPT or MBR table?
2) Can you show log of these commands:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
cat $BASEDIR/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg | grep APPEND
cat /etc/fstab
lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,TYPE,MOUNTPOINT
Thanks.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

overkill22
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by overkill22 » 29 Oct 2017, 14:23

Blaze wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 09:58
Hi overkill22.
1) Do you use GPT or MBR table?
2) Can you show log of these commands:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
cat $BASEDIR/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg | grep APPEND
cat /etc/fstab
lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,TYPE,MOUNTPOINT
Thanks.
in the meantime my topic was approved I tried different stuff. So I noticed that at the startup, when I have to decide which OS to boot, I can press f2 and get to "advance settings", where I can choose for Porteus if booting like "normal", save install, other settings (now I don't remember the correct names of the options).

I then stumbled upon a topic here where they were suggesting to edit a different config file if the system was an EFI system. So I applied the same modification at the APPEND line to the config file that is in the EFI folder.

Now I'm facing another problem that is to understand how the extra software is installed in this system...

Will check again on a new installation if the difference was made by editing the file in the EFI or if it was just a matter of boot the correct profile.

overkill22
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by overkill22 » 29 Oct 2017, 14:45

Maybe I can ask here without opening another topic:
I need to have a live OS with one program installed, and no network connection. It means that I have to uninstall anything that could possibly recognise the wifi and bluetooth. I managed to have a "dirty" version of the OS with the program installed. I called "dirty" because I just tried solutions without knowing what I was doing, but in the end I managed to get the program installed even after reboot. Now I'm reading and working to understand how I did that. But if someone could guide me to get a "clean" installation it would be great.
What I need to know is how I should install the package. Once I create the .dat file where my preferences, programs and etc will be saved, should I boot in live mode or in "saving mode"?
When I do some changes, do I have to go through the porteus manager to save the preferences or the settings are already saved?
When I boot in saving mode I have to enter the password before the OS boot. But then the "root" password that the system ask me is the guest one. Can I change that as well as the user?