ext4 & ntfs on the same hdd + frugal installation on ext4 partition that needs to be formatted on boot\frugal install

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
empfire
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: lubuntu

ext4 & ntfs on the same hdd + frugal installation on ext4 partition that needs to be formatted on boot\frugal install

Post#1 by empfire » 22 Aug 2017, 16:30

hey

1.had finally managed to get workable bootable porteus usb, v3.2.2 x86
2. laptop's hdd has two partitions, ext4 with lubuntu installation plus ntfs with no-system files.

3. porteus boot therefore redirects to always fresh for container requierement ( fat32, ntfs..). always fresh desktop booted flashes panel several times, appears and dissapears. then finally the desktop is shown with 5 icons on and without the panel - completely disappearing. pressing left mouse key does nothing, pressing right key shows silver screen that stays on permanently after a couple of right mouse button clicks. pressing ctrl+esc does not show the menu either.

so to access save file manager does not work.

those are the facts. now, my intention is to format the ext4 partition of the hdd and install frugal porteus on that partition, meanwhile keeping the ntfs partition intact.

tell me the smoothest most straightforward way how to accomplish\realize this. this may or may not include the container cheatcodes.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

EXT4 & NTFS ON THE SAME HDD + FRUGAL INSTALLATION ON EXT4 PARTITION THAT NEEDS TO BE FORMATTED ON BOOT\FRUGAL INSTALL

Post#2 by Ed_P » 22 Aug 2017, 16:40

On NTFS partition use Porteus Save File Manager to create a save.dat file on the partition. Then add the changes= cheatcode to the porteus.cfg menu's boot of Porteus.
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

EXT4 & NTFS ON THE SAME HDD + FRUGAL INSTALLATION ON EXT4 PARTITION THAT NEEDS TO BE FORMATTED ON BOOT\FRUGAL INSTALL

Post#3 by Ed_P » 22 Aug 2017, 16:41

And STOP shouting or your posts will be ignored.
Ed

empfire
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: lubuntu

Post#4 by empfire » 22 Aug 2017, 18:27

Ed, thanks for input, but most likely the post was not received in its totality.

As written at bulletpoint 3. - something is wrong when accessing porteus trough 'always fresh'. the panel with menu disappears, left click are ignored by icons and the right-click flashes only silver srceen. after several right-click attempts the silver screen stays on perpetually.

1. would you say that iso image has been corrupted? the md5sum check produces the rexact number as provided in txt on the mirrors, though i have not been able to get positive feedback on signature fingerprint as described on the other post.

2. i have been using lubuntu for a while, but to be honest am new at linux crypting and step by step teminal commands would be very much appreciated regrding the intent expressed [ my intention is to format the ext4 partition of the hdd and install frugal porteus on that partition, meanwhile keeping the ntfs partition intact ]

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Post#5 by FURRY_NOVA » 22 Aug 2017, 18:49

I don't know what the issue is with your input devices not sending the signals. If some icons are going blank when after starting up in Fresh Mode. Either the icon pack is bad, but I imagine brokenman would had patched it by now, or there's hardware issues on your device.

If you want to do the partition method:

* Start Porteus in Fresh Mode.
* Open GParted and wipe/resize your partitions. 10 GB EXT4 and 90 GB NTFS, which ever you want.
* Open Porteus Installer and choose to install to the EXT4 partition.
* Power off, remove USB with Porteus and set boot priorty to HDD. Porteus should had flagged EXT4 to boot and run from. And should run okay.

I hadn't used Porteus for a while just so you know. I don't think you can make a dat container on NTFS but I could be wrong.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 22 Aug 2017, 23:29

empfire wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 18:27
left click are ignored by icons and the right-click flashes only silver srceen.
Ah yes, been there. On my note/netbooks the touchpad does not always work as normal. I developed a script that helps me with the problem.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# To auto run at startup 1. Add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  2. And make rc.local executable.

if [ ! -z "$1" ]; then
  synclient -l | grep -i Palm
  echo
  synclient -l | grep -i Edge 
  echo
  synclient -l | grep -i RightButtonArea
  echo
  synclient -l | grep -i Tap
  exit
fi

# https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=1955
synclient PalmDetect=1 PalmMinWidth=4
#synclient LeftEdge=30   RightEdge=1385 TopEdge=0    BottomEdge=600

# Acer 722
#synclient  LeftEdge=0   RightEdge=1408 TopEdge=0    BottomEdge=640
#synclient MinSpeed=.2

# Acer Aspire One
#synclient LeftEdge=1472 RightEdge=5888 TopEdge=1408 BottomEdge=5218
#synclient MinSpeed=.2

# Dell Inspiron 13     http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5096&p=37761#p37761
#synclient RightButtonAreaLeft=3914 RightButtonAreaTop=3918 
synclient RightButtonAreaLeft=3471 RightButtonAreaTop=4062 
synclient  LeftEdge=30   RightEdge=6942 TopEdge=0    BottomEdge=5218
synclient MinSpeed=.2
#synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1  RTCornerButton=0  RBCornerButton=9  LBCornerButton=8
#synclient TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3 MaxDoubleTapTime=180
synclient MaxDoubleTapTime=180 
Run it 1st to see what your current values are. Then you will need to tinker with it to fit your system. Some of it is checking the system's specs, some of it is trial and error.
FURRY_NOVA wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 18:49
I hadn't used Porteus for a while just so you know. I don't think you can make a dat container on NTFS but I could be wrong.
Save.dat containers are designed for non-Linux formatted drives.

I don't think your ISO is corrupted, especially if the md5 checks out.
Ed

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by Falcony » 23 Aug 2017, 08:37

As here it is ext4 disk already exists - best way to save changes is Magic Folders
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/45-oth ... lders.html
All u need to create new folder on ext volume and link your setting o even home directory to this.

Not recommend use dat file for saving changes - it is kinda way to mess and corrupt your data - if dat is not read only.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Ed_P » 24 Aug 2017, 04:32

^ save.dat files work. I've been using them for 4 yrs, starting with Porteus 2.x. And to protect my data I a) backup the save.dat file periodically and b) run it with the changes=EXIT cheatcode.

The main problem with the save.dat file was the changes could be larger than the save.dat file when exiting. My initial files were 256MB, my current one is 1GB. And the new /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown script (http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=47636#p47636) checks for space usage in the save.dat file when shutting down. Before one was flying blind as to how full it was.
Ed

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#9 by Falcony » 25 Aug 2017, 06:40

Ed_P,

I see this script which called at shutdown stage.
It just give warning to user - nothing more, and give no any data protection.

If your data will exceed to 100% - some of them will be lost, some - have a mess.

There are other bad things with dat - pardon, i am lazy to list it.
This type of saving comes from old knoppix live cd. Well, it was good for 2k time now it is may go if u like to setup setting one time and use it as r/o.
Other usage slow down the system and leads to crap.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 25 Aug 2017, 15:32

Falcony wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 06:40
I see this script which called at shutdown stage.
It just give warning to user - nothing more, and give no any data protection.
True but it is a whole lot more information than was given before. And when used with the changes=EXIT cheatcode it can alert the user to press a key other than Enter or Space.

Could the script be enhanced to prevent the save.dat from being corrupted, probably and maybe someday it will be but at this point it is a big help.

As for the save.dat concept, for Windows users it allows Linux testing and experimenting without messing up the system's harddrive. And it allows for Linux testing booting ISO files and saving changes so I hope it doesn't go away anytime soon. :good:
Ed