What to learn first ?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
OldChap
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: None yet

What to learn first ?

Post#1 by OldChap » 20 Aug 2017, 17:34

The target for me is to run the latest Boinc plus another program that nobody heard of then add printers (xerox) and some sort of "office" on one machine.

I want to run from ssd at start so...

Because things are not designed to stick on reboot I guess that is the first thing to learn then boot from ssd

Then the big one, building Boinc for Porteus, a necessity due to fairly regular boinc updates

After a bunch of reading and a rig built to do testing would anyone like to add those important things I missed so far

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

What to learn first ?

Post#2 by Ed_P » 21 Aug 2017, 13:28

OldChap wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 17:34
Because things are not designed to stick on reboot I guess that is the first thing to learn then boot from ssd
:%) If you install Porteus to the ssd things will stick. If you run Porteus as an ISO on the ssd the cheatcode changes= supports saving things into a porteussave.dat file.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

What to learn first ?

Post#3 by francois » 22 Aug 2017, 02:11

Why do you need to run from ram? I imagine that if you are running from ssd you should have a quite decent Linux box. Speed should not be an issue.

Will you ssd be partitioned Linux file system. Porteus can stand in the same partition with an already installed Linux distribution.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

What to learn first ?

Post#4 by Ed_P » 22 Aug 2017, 03:15

francois wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 02:11
Why do you need to run from ram?
:%)

Boinc may be a challenge

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -g boinc

Nothing found for:  boinc 
Ed

OldChap
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: None yet

What to learn first ?

Post#5 by OldChap » 22 Aug 2017, 05:06

All of the computers I build run Boinc so attempting to get that going in this instance give me skills needed for the other distributed computing program I mentioned. THAT one is incredibly write intensive ( think of collecting info in a similar manner to Google , parsing, compressing then sending. 20-30TB per month of traffic through router. Getting this to happen in memory would certainly be advantageous even if I have to add a bunch of ram

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

What to learn first ?

Post#6 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Aug 2017, 08:23

just tried the Boinc binary(boinc_7.2.42_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh) from here: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
(made it executable and ran it> just extracts itself to the present directory) then ran 'run_manager'
seems to work ok (without actually testing it on a project)
otherwise there is also debian or fedora packages which could got via pkgs.org and converted to a (slackware compliant) module with tools included in porteus..
or if you're really keen build it from source : https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/SoftwareBuilding
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44