Hide (or not mount) host PC harddisk

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
nxspam
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: desktop xcfe 3.2.2

Hide (or not mount) host PC harddisk

Post#1 by nxspam » 13 Mar 2017, 13:56

Hi y'all,

Got to say first off, very impressed with porteus! I'm not much of a linux guy, but this I like. I can boot my Mac notebooks, older Lenovo notebooks and so far, every PC I've tried it on. Only problematic machine has been a 2009 iMac. The USB doesn't show up when I option boot. Not to worry - not a big deal. I've tried Tails and some other distros, but several of them couldn't start the wifi up on the Mac notebooks. Porteus has no problems there!

Now for my noob questions: I want to prevent the hard drives of the host machines being mounted. I don't want to see them at all in the gui File Manager. I've tried "nohd" and "noauto" in the porteus.cfg file but they didn't work. (noauto prevented my wifi from working !?!

Can you help me hide the host drives?

Second question: I'm running xfce which seems very snappy and quite reliable. Just wondering if any of the other desktop flavours, such as Mate are just as quick on older hardware (and reliable).

TIA, nx.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Hide (or not mount) host PC harddisk

Post#2 by Bogomips » 13 Mar 2017, 20:48

nxspam wrote:tried "nohd" and "noauto" in the porteus.cfg file but they didn't work. (noauto prevented my wifi from working !?!
noauto works for me. Assuming the wifi is not on a hard drive, you have to mount the partiton it's on, separately on /mnt/sdXy. As am only using wired connection, cannot promise anything here.

Code: Select all

echo  mount  /dev/sdXy  /mnt/sdXy  >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
If saving changes, at next boot the partition in question, replacing X,y with relevant values, will be mounted.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

nxspam
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: desktop xcfe 3.2.2

Re: Hide (or not mount) host PC harddisk

Post#3 by nxspam » 14 Mar 2017, 08:01

Thanks for the reply. I must have done something wrong previously.
I tried noauto on its own and that worked.

Thanks.

Now if I can figure out how to get the USB drive back again I'll be very happy :-)