[SOLVED] Youtube on Opera is missing resolution options

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

[SOLVED] Youtube on Opera is missing resolution options

Post#1 by fulalas » 22 Nov 2016, 01:45

This week I noticed that some videos on Youtube (example here) can't be played on Opera at anything higher than 360p. What should I do? :(

EDITED: the problem is that Opera doesn't come with H.264 neither MP3 support out of the box and you can check this here. So the solution is to download or compile opera-ffmpeg-codecs and put libffmpeg.so inside /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra . I'll include this plugin in my Opera's xzm module.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube on Opera is missing resolution options

Post#2 by brokenman » 22 Nov 2016, 13:05

Please make a tutorial on the compilation. I can then tweak the update-opera script to include the plugin. The beauty of a client side update script is licencing.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube on Opera is missing resolution options

Post#3 by fulalas » 23 Nov 2016, 00:54

Well, there's this repository. You should download the highest version available with the prefix chromium-codecs-ffmpeg_, paying attention to the architecture in the ending just before the extension: _amd64 or _i386.

Once you have the right package, you should extract the file libffmpeg.so and put it inside /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra (usually this lib_extra folder doesn't exist, so you have to create it).

There's also a Slackbuild for this: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2 ... eg-codecs/

The strange thing is that Opera already comes with libffmpeg inside /usr/lib64/opera/ but it seems that this lib doesn't work even putting it inside /usr/lib64/opera/lib_extra :unknown:

I hope this can help you. :good:

EDITED: it turns out that the current Ubuntu repository doesn't have a lib compatible with Opera current version (built on Chromium version god-knows-which), so maybe you can use this unknown but working repository: http://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/ . Just check for opera-ffmpeg-codecs- prefix.