Can you change the color of the active window?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Latest one

Can you change the color of the active window?

Post#1 by jeff4892 » 01 Sep 2016, 12:50

I'm using Porteus 3.17.4 with Mate 1.9.1. My eyes aren't what they used to be and when I have multiple windows open at the same time, often is hard for me to figure out where the active window border is so that I can click/hold and drag it around. Is there a way to change this? I tried searching but I can't think of any unique terms that filter results back so I can find directions (config, GUI, active window - they are all just too common). So it this possible and if so, how?

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Re: Can you change the color of the active window?

Post#2 by Jack » 01 Sep 2016, 13:07

I'm using Mate too and I have the same problem so I try and only open up 2 at the same time. This is 4 workspace that you can use to. I had to lighten up the panel bar too. It is hard on my eyes to. Hope this helps.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 01 Sep 2016, 22:06

Normally just clear desktop, then select window from task bar below. 8)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 02 Sep 2016, 00:59

mate doesn't seem to have any specific setting for highlighting the active window(if thats what you want)...
a couple of ways around this are:
1. install compiz(downside is you get a lot more than what you looking for)
2. use a different windowmanager(within mate)
i tested this with openbox and it works fine..
from: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MA ... _with_MATE
"Navigate to System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications. In the dialog click Add. The command should take the syntax wm-name --replace"
ie openbox --replace
for porteus 3.1 you'll need to first install openbox (and possibly obconf if you want a gui to change the theme) or some other wm of your choice(ie fluxbox, pekwm etc)via usm..
(openbox is included in 3.2x already)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44