How do include changes into a save.dat file?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Latest one

How do include changes into a save.dat file?

Post#1 by jeff4892 » 29 Aug 2016, 22:13

I've been using Porteus for a month or so. I've made updates such as latest version of Firefox, downloaded modules like VLC, etc. All this was done without a save.dat file in use. I created a save.dat file and edited the porteus.cfg file to include it. When Porteus starts up using the save.dat file, none of my previous config changes / updates are included. How to I create a save.dat file with all my currently saved stuff?

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Re: How do include changes into a save.dat file?

Post#2 by FURRY_NOVA » 29 Aug 2016, 22:46

jeff4892 wrote:I've been using Porteus for a month or so. I've made updates such as latest version of Firefox, downloaded modules like VLC, etc. All this was done without a save.dat file in use. I created a save.dat file and edited the porteus.cfg file to include it. When Porteus starts up using the save.dat file, none of my previous config changes / updates are included. How to I create a save.dat file with all my currently saved stuff?
Are you sure you placed the save.dat in the right directory and porteus.cfg can read it?

This my entry in the portues.cfg:

Code: Select all

LABEL XFCE
MENU LABEL (Default) XFCE
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz changes=/porteus/save_xfs.dat timezone=Europe/London kmap=gb volume=50%
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus GUI with porteus.cfg settings.
    - Changes: /porteus/save_xfs.dat
    - Copy2RAM: Disabled
    - Timezone: Europe/London
    - Keyboard: gb
    - Volume: 50%
ENDTEXT
And I placed my dat container in this directory:

/mnt/sdb1/porteus/save_xfs.dat
Notice how the directory written differently. Also I don't think proceeding folders and dat container is allowed spaces in the names since I don't think cfg understands them. Also, the dat container changes are made after the first reboot if dat container loaded successfully.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 29 Aug 2016, 23:01

jeff4892 wrote: When Porteus starts up using the save.dat file, none of my previous config changes / updates are included. How to I create a save.dat file with all my currently saved stuff?
The save.dat file has to be in use, ie Porteus has to be booted with your .cfg file change, to save your changes. The steps you have taken to create and use the save.dat file are fine and future changes will be saved.
Ed

jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by jeff4892 » 29 Aug 2016, 23:05

I'm absolutely positive because I set up encryption and when Porteus booted, it asked me for the pass phrase. That doesn't happen on my original config. I do see that you are using different reference points in the porteus.cfg file vs the actual file location. I'll change that and see what happens.

I guess my question is: when you create a new save.dat file is there anything special you need to do to have your current configurations included? I would assume not because my understanding is that is why you create a save.dat file but I just wanted to check.

In the mean time, I will update porteus.cfg and reboot.

jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by jeff4892 » 29 Aug 2016, 23:09

Ed_P wrote:
jeff4892 wrote:The save.dat file has to be in use, ie Porteus has to be booted with your .cfg file change, to save your changes. The steps you have taken to create and use the save.dat file are fine and future changes will be saved.
So everything I've done up to this point is wasted? Gone? The files and documents I've created, the update to firefox, FF bookmarks? All this stuff won't be available? Certainly that can't be the case. Why have a process to create a save file in the first place then? Why would it cause you to start from scratch instead of taking your current configuration or at least giving your the option to do that. I'm confused by this.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Post#6 by FURRY_NOVA » 29 Aug 2016, 23:25

jeff4892 wrote:I'm absolutely positive because I set up encryption and when Porteus booted, it asked me for the pass phrase. That doesn't happen on my original config. I do see that you are using different reference points in the porteus.cfg file vs the actual file location. I'll change that and see what happens.

I guess my question is: when you create a new save.dat file is there anything special you need to do to have your current configurations included? I would assume not because my understanding is that is why you create a save.dat file but I just wanted to check.

In the mean time, I will update porteus.cfg and reboot.
I don't use encryption on mine. Could try making the dat container without it to see if it solves the problem saving changes on next reboot. I actually had problems resizing my dat container with Porteus Save File Manager before.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 29 Aug 2016, 23:43

jeff4892 wrote:So everything I've done up to this point is wasted? Gone?
Yes. Unless you saved your files directly to your device. /mnt/sda1/xxxxx, which I do for my files. Configuration type changes like bookmarks and etc are saved to /home/guest/ and they are in RAM and when you reboot they are gone, unless 1. you booted with a save.dat file or 2. your Porteus system is running on a linux file system.
The files and documents I've created, the update to firefox, FF bookmarks? All this stuff won't be available?
Yup, gone. Unless you booted with a save.dat file or your Porteus system is running on a linux file system.
Why have a process to create a save file in the first place then?
Cause some people want to run Porteus on file systems supported by other OSs.
Why would it cause you to start from scratch instead of taking your current configuration or at least giving your the option to do that.
Because the developers didn't think about that when they developed Porteus, or didn't have time, or it wasn't suggested before, or .... Welcome to an imperfect world. :)

BTW Which "Latest one" are you using? 3.1?
Ed

jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by jeff4892 » 29 Aug 2016, 23:49

Well, I've spent some time saving most of what I need. the only question is that I downloaded and compiled Firefox and VLC into modules. Can I just copy the module to a flash drive, boot with the save.dat file and copy them back or does the Porteus USM install stuff along the way as it builds your modules? I created them as merged modules so just one monster .xzm file for FF and another one for VLC.

Yes an imperfect world it is. I'm getting over this already. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 30 Aug 2016, 01:30

jeff4892 wrote:Can I just copy the module to a flash drive, boot with the save.dat file and copy them back
Yes you can copy them back but I recommend you leave them there and Activate them after you reboot.

Now you can Activate them manually, by finding them with your file manager and clicking on them, or you can add them to your .cfg file to be activated automatically when you boot. On the same line as you added the changes= option add an extramod= option. This is what I use:

changes=EXIT:/porteus3.0/changes/porteussave.dat extramod=/porteus3.0/Modules 
I have all my .xzm files on my drive in a folder named Modules which is a subfolder of my porteus3.0 folder.
or does the Porteus USM install stuff along the way as it builds your modules?
Not so far but there has been talk about making that an option for USM.
I created them as merged modules so just one monster .xzm file for FF and another one for VLC.
Yup, my FF 45.1 mod is 51,640 MB.
Yes an imperfect world it is. I'm getting over this already. :)
:good: Welcome aboard jeff4892.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 30 Aug 2016, 01:56

When you first boot Porteus you have a number of options.

1) Always fresh means that nothing will be saved. You have the option of saving any changes by issuing the command: dump-session
This will create a module of your changes. This module can go in your modules folder and will then persist a reboot. Any module that you downloaded and put in this folder will also survive a reboot.

2) GUI mode which will automatically try to create a changes folder, but if it find it is on a NON POSIX file system like FAT32 you will see a warning during boot that changes are not being saved. In this case you need to create a savedat.dat file and edit porteus.cg to point to it. That particular session is effectively the same as the above fresh mode. You will need to manually save your changes.

After creating your save file and updating the porteus.cfg file and boot then all changes are saved. If you find that some are not then you can look at using the magic_folders function available in porteus-settings-centre.
the only question is that I downloaded and compiled Firefox and VLC into modules. Can I just copy the module to a flash drive
So modules you create should always go in your modules folder. Then they will persist a reboot. If you make changes (say add a favourite page in firefox) then this will to be stored in a changes file (if you set one up) otherwise it is lost.
Yup, gone. Unless you booted with a save.dat file or your Porteus system is running on a linux file system
Wrong. You can simply dump the current session into a module or a savedat file which is available in the porteus-settings-centre
Why have a process to create a save file in the first place then? Why would it cause you to start from scratch instead of taking your current configuration or at least giving your the option to do that. I'm confused by this.
It doesn't. Set up Porteus how you like it and then choose 'porteus save session' in the PSC and your changes will be there next boot.
Because the developers didn't think about that when they developed Porteus, or didn't have time
Well it was clearly thought through and implemented. It's there and waiting to be used. Users just need to pass on the correct information.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by jeff4892 » 30 Aug 2016, 17:23

OK. I'm new but I think I have followed all of this but let me see:

I have created a saved.dat file and updated porteus.cfg to point to it. I know Porteus is pointing to it because I have to enter my pass phrase at boot time which I never did before I set up my saved.dat file. I never even have a pass phrase before creating the saved.dat file so that tells me it's active.

I use EXT4

Since I have a saved.dat set up, all changes I make should automatically be saved in it for the next time I boot.

Did I get it right?

If I did then I have one final question. Do I now have a "master" Porteus and if I use the Porteus installer, will it create a new flash drive with all these changes?

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#12 by Bogomips » 30 Aug 2016, 19:20

jeff4892 wrote:I use EXT4
Then you do not need a savefile. Only necessary for fat and ntfs. Choose directory to house your changes. A directory called changes will be created there. In porteus.cfg changes=[/dev/sdXy]/Path to/<folder where the changes directory is to be created>, and where sdXy is partition of choice. If omitted, a search of all devices will be made for the path in question.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

jeff4892
White ninja
White ninja

Post#13 by jeff4892 » 31 Aug 2016, 07:43

Thanks but I've already made a save file and I appear to be using it. Is there any reason not to since I already have it set up? I'd hate to go back through everything, plus it's encrypted.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#14 by Bogomips » 31 Aug 2016, 09:18

jeff4892 wrote:Thanks but I've already made a save file and I appear to be using it. Is there any reason not to since I already have it set up? I'd hate to go back through everything, plus it's encrypted.
If it's working, then leave well enough alone. This will allow you to gain some experience with Porteus. Lately been dabbling with savefiles, and perhaps the conclusions I've reached might help you to better understand the functioning: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 358#p48358
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB