Hi was wondering about this Linux OS

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
courtney6084
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Hi was wondering about this Linux OS

Post#16 by courtney6084 » 24 Jul 2016, 07:18

Ed_P wrote:I have no swap partition on my USB install. It may be useful on hard drives or an old concept for older equipment carried over.

This is the process I used to create my EFI booting flash drive. viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604
I used windows I have never been able to manually make a linux usb on on linux lol. Always used ubuntu's disk manager to put a linux iso on a usb. Also do have a windows 7 2009 desktop computer mostly needed something for my laptop. Until I can get a new hard drive or possibly a SSD card in all honesty.

Anyway I created the porteus usb on the windows 7 desktop then used the usb maker Rufus to put the iso on the 2GB USB I have. Then ran the built in Porteus installer and selected the sanddisk cruz U after formatting it to ext4 and it's all working correctly saving and everything. I got the idea to do this from well puppy linux only thing though is puppy linux never got it to work from the usb never booted up or anything. So figured I would come and try out the method on porteus and it works lol.

Anyway I went with francois's advice and xfce with firefox is a lot faster and smoother then lxqt. No idea if installing to ram will work though probably just break the wifi again lol.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#17 by donald » 24 Jul 2016, 09:59

Regarding a swap partition -- do you need one?
Well, it depends on how much proper RAM you have and (certainly) what you are going to do.
If you have (let's say) 2GB of proper RAM , better 4GB, you'll most likely not need a swap partition.
You can check the current RAM-usage with

Code: Select all

guest@localhost:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1960        640       1320          0         60        295
-/+ buffers/cache:        283       1676
Swap:            0          0          0
the relevant value is used -/+ buffers/cache (283 in this case)

Personally, I wouldn't suggest creating a swap partition on a flash device.
The read/write rate when continuously swapping would shorten the life of the drive considerably.
Others may disagree.

melny_262
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: newbie

Post#18 by melny_262 » 24 Jul 2016, 19:11

i'm wonderin about the 3d3 version of porteus? Have you tried it? Is it any good?

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/D3D_Live_ISO