Install Porteus to a flashdrive

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jonasth
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu, Mint

Install Porteus to a flashdrive

Post#1 by jonasth » 20 Jun 2016, 07:18

I have no problem install porteus to a USB stick or HDD, but how can i install it to my Intel compute sticks flashdrive, i managed to make a FAT32 copy loopback? installation, but the savefile don't work.
And i really would like a normal installation upon the flashdrive, is there something about the naming of partition it don't like mmcpblk01 etc.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Install Porteus to a flashdrive

Post#2 by Bogomips » 20 Jun 2016, 11:58

Welcome to Porteus. Please be patient, and someone who uses a flash drive will come along. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 21 Jun 2016, 02:26

What is the processor in this stick thing?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jonasth
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu, Mint

Post#4 by jonasth » 21 Jun 2016, 13:18

brokenman wrote:What is the processor in this stick thing?
I think it is a quadcore atom 1300 mhz, right now i actually have the stick up and running from flash, but i want a real installation not loopback.
I installed to a USB resized partition and copied, i really like the bootloader of Porteus that check disks for installation. I have the Ubuntu flavoured stick the ram is only 1GB and flash storage tight only 6-7 GB. So porteus really do miracle for it, it really not suited for Ubuntu "if not on USB HDD", you can't install your favourite apps because there simply no space. There is a guy making something called Linuxium where you can chose Lubuntu, then you get at least 2 GB for applications. But with tempiles and stuff going on surfing, well it is a bad choice altoghether.

I hope that Porteus take on, and that more hardware will be supported, the loopback on the flash run real smooth surfing and i am not quite sure how because i do not thing the chipset graphics supported. I like Porteus, feel a bit confused about the package installer, but in time i get it.

Jonas

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 22 Jun 2016, 01:36

Thanks for the info. I will pick one of these next month when I am overseas. I would like to start supporting thin clients, NUC devices and these mini CPs. They look like the future.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#6 by Jack » 22 Jun 2016, 01:50

I will have to look in to getting one. What nice you can your TV to view or use it.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.