Files Not Saving

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
NickPhoenix
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Files Not Saving

Post#1 by NickPhoenix » 18 Jun 2016, 14:13

Hello, I am using Porteus for a few days and really enjoy how fast it is. 8) Problem is I have made a save data container and now I can save files in hard drive and my USB drive too. But whatever is saved in Downloads folder is getting erased for some unknown reason after each boot. Also changes I've made in GUI is lost too!!!!!! I've tried KDE4, LXQT, XFCE, but still having the same problem. :%) I've formatted a HDD Partition using linux file system, but I cannot format USB drive for obvious reasons(Porteus is saved here). Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Files Not Saving

Post#2 by Ed_P » 18 Jun 2016, 19:32

It is not necessary to format a partition to a Linux file system to save files to it. Porteus can read & write to FAT, exFAT and NTFS partitions with no problem.

To use the save.dat container you must tweak your Porteus boot config to reference the container. Did you do that? Something like a

Code: Select all

changes=EXIT:/porteus/porteussave.dat
Obviously the path and file name must match your scenario.

Do note, if you plan on using your USB drive on other machines the path to your container file should not match a path on your hard drive.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 18 Jun 2016, 23:13

Using a linux file system is advised. If Porteus is already on the USB, just boot into copy2ram mode which will free the USB device. Then you can format it and copy the Porteus files back onto it. Then open a terminal as root, change into the boot folder on the USB and from within the boot folder run the file: Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com

Then you can adjust your changes= cheatcode to point to a file folder instead of a container file (porteussave.dat).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 19 Jun 2016, 04:49

brokenman wrote:Using a linux file system is advised.
hmmmmm This approach works for me.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604
Ed

NickPhoenix
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by NickPhoenix » 22 Jun 2016, 14:19

Hey guys, I want you to know it worked. :Bravo: I bought a new 4 gb pen drive, formatted it(ext2), and copy pasted boot and porteus folder. Then I run Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com. Now I have two Porteus lol. I am keeping the old drive as a backup Porteus. :Yahoo!: Is this just me or Porteus is really addictive? :lol:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 23 Jun 2016, 01:34

Excellent to hear. I've been addicted for over ten years now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.