2 New Laptops

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

2 New Laptops

Post#1 by Jack » 29 Apr 2016, 04:03

WalMart had a sale today and I got 2 New Laptop.

1 Acer Aspire E17 ES1-711-P1UV Intel Quad core N3540, 4GB DDR3 memory, 500GB HDD Sold for $399.00 my price $49.00 display model.
2 Acer Aspire E15 E5-571-563B Intel i5-4210U, 6GB DDR3 memory and 1000GB HDD Sold for $499.00 my price $98.00 display model.

The first Acer is for my wife and the second is for me. I haven't try them yet but I hope the second one will work with Porteus. Anyone have any idea if it will work or not?

I could not turn them down for the price.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: 2 New Laptops

Post#2 by francois » 30 Apr 2016, 20:20

Hi jack. I have looked at this thread when it came out. As nobody answered yet it seems that you might be the first on to try them.

I would just say: make a bootable usb key and just plug them in. :)

Otherwise ducktogo or google is your friend.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 30 Apr 2016, 20:30

I'm charging them first and then I will set them with Windows 8.1. Then I have a USB already made so I'm going to try and boot it. What I don't know how long it will take to charge them, If they don't work I should have no problem selling them at the price I paid. I could sell them for more if I wanted to.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 30 Apr 2016, 20:49

Once they plugged in to charge, even though the battery is not so much charged, you can run them with the charger plugged in. Have a try with porteus.

If the laptop is recent enough the usb should boot automatically. If not check the bios settings for the media order to set usb first.

If the battery does not hold the charge, you can buy on ebay a new battery from China, they are sometime cheap. It depends on your model.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Jack » 30 Apr 2016, 21:40

The 2 Laptop are brand new they were never turn on. I read to hit F12 but when I did it booted in to Windows so I went ahead and set it up and it is almost charge. I'm going to wait tell they are charge the I will try F2 and see if that will work.

Below is only my $0.02.
Microsoft has been buging me to upgrade to Windows 10 and since it came with Windows 8.1 I'm going to upgrade them to 10. I don't like 8, 8.1 or 10 and I don't want go back to 7.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 30 Apr 2016, 22:01

I liked 7 but not 8 or 8.1 so never upgaded to them but I did upgrade to 10 from 7 and I like it.

If your notebooks came with 8.1 there's also a good change they came with UEFI also. To boot the USB drives you will have to create them with UEFI support, see viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33898 and disable the notebook's Secure Boot option.

I run my Acer netbooks plugged in and unplugged in all the time. Not a problem.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Jack » 30 Apr 2016, 23:20

I found this http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Se ... d-p/396225
How do I enable or disable Secure Boot on my computer?

Secure Boot is a feature designed to prevent malicious software and unauthorized media from loading during the boot process. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off in UEFI / BIOS.

Select your device below and use the following steps to change the Secure Boot setting:

1. Completely shut down your computer.
2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
3. Use the right arrow key to select Security.
4. Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
5. Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
6. Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
7. Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
8. With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter.
9. Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

NOTE:: We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.
Is this what I need to do? I already made a fat32 boot USB like in ED link. When I get this to work can I use ext4 and not fat32?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 01 May 2016, 00:51

There should be a thread out there on the forum on building a usb with two partifions, the first one fat and the second linux. It seems that you are better with ext2, as ext4 would be hard on the usb key. Maybe Ed can explain.

If you are done with your usb fat32, you can use gparted to shrink the fat and make place for ext2.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Jack » 01 May 2016, 02:31

Well I got it to boot up but I had to move the USB HDD to the top of the boot list.

The touchpad dose not move the mouse on the screen it is froze in the center of the screen. Any idea how to fix?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 01 May 2016, 03:47

Jack wrote:I found this http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Se ... d-p/396225

:
:
:

Is this what I need to do? I already made a fat32 boot USB like in ED link. When I get this to work can I use ext4 and not fat32?
I don't do steps 4 & 5 and have had no problem.
Jack wrote:Well I got it to boot up but I had to move the USB HDD to the top of the boot list.
Yes, that step needs to be done also. Sorry.
The touchpad dose not move the mouse on the screen it is froze in the center of the screen. Any idea how to fix?
You need to find out what touchpad is being used and then maybe find a driver for it. I'll let others walk you thru the steps to accomplish that.

As for partitioning the drive, I've never found a need to do that with my USB drives. My hard drives, certainly, but not the removable ones. And all my partitions and drives are Windows compatibable, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS which are readable by any OS.

If you are considering multi-booting the notebooks you might consider installing Grub2Win on them. https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Jack » 01 May 2016, 15:30

Ed_P wrote:
Jack wrote:The touchpad dose not move the mouse on the screen it is froze in the center of the screen. Any idea how to fix?
You need to find out what touchpad is being used and then maybe find a driver for it. I'll let others walk you thru the steps to accomplish that.
How can I find out the type of touchpad is being so I can fix it?

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Jack » 01 May 2016, 16:02

francois wrote:There should be a thread out there on the forum on building a usb with two partifions, the first one fat and the second linux. It seems that you are better with ext2, as ext4 would be hard on the usb key. Maybe Ed can explain.

If you are done with your usb fat32, you can use gparted to shrink the fat and make place for ext2.
What I don't like about fat32 it won't let me boot in graphics mode.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Ed_P » 01 May 2016, 21:32

Jack wrote:What I don't like about fat32 it won't let me boot in graphics mode.
!! I have never had that problem with my FAT32 flash drives. With my boot parameters yes but not the drive's format.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by Jack » 01 May 2016, 22:16

Ed_P wrote:
Jack wrote:What I don't like about fat32 it won't let me boot in graphics mode.
!! I have never had that problem with my FAT32 flash drives. With my boot parameters yes but not the drive's format.
Since I been using Porteus it has done that, that why I went with ext4 but now I found I could have been using ext2.

Acer has 2 types of touchpad or driver for it. One driver is TouchPad ELANTECH Touchpad Driver 13.6.2.2 and the other is TouchPad Synaptics Touchpad Driver 19.0.7.31 but not sure which one it is.

EDIT:

I hook up a wireless Logitech mouse and it works great but I would still like to get the touchpad to work.

cmbarreto
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware, porteus, ubuntu

Post#15 by cmbarreto » 31 Jan 2017, 22:09

Hi:

I have a similar problem with porteus 3.2 on HP stream 11

On previous releases (3.1) I solved the problem with this post:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=4628

Compiled i2c-designware-core and i2c-designware-platform and added to rootcopy.

But now in the new release cant compile i2c.

César.