[Solved] Another "can't boot by USB"

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Another "can't boot by USB"

Post#16 by brokenman » 17 Apr 2016, 17:22

It sounds to me like you ran the linux installer without actually changing into the boot folder before running it. Without you posting the entire process you took (with details) it is impossible to know. In any case, run nekos installer above and it will make sure everything is done right.

By the way, if you are creating a USB for an EFI machine, then you don't run the installer file at all. Just put the files on the drive and boot.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#17 by fullmoonremix » 17 Apr 2016, 20:55

Salutations... :good:

Using WindozzZ...
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... n-portable

Best Regards... :beer:

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#18 by Rava » 17 Apr 2016, 21:32

My 2 cents is that a USB thumbdrive should not be formatted with a journalling filesystem due to the constant writing to such file systems.
Or do newer thumbdrives now have unlimited write cycles?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hesedyahu
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#19 by Hesedyahu » 20 Apr 2016, 02:04

You guys are making porteus seem actually do-able. I'm kinda salivating (in the figurative sense). I'll take each of your pieces of advice on board. I know I'm gonna have more questions so when I've tried out stuff, I'll ask.

Thank you for your patience with me.

Hesedyahu
White ninja
White ninja

Post#20 by Hesedyahu » 20 Apr 2016, 02:11

Again, please accept this question as coming from a non-techie (not a total ignoramus, just not a techie). How do I find out if my machine is EFI or not?

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (aka UEFI) ?

Post#21 by Rava » 20 Apr 2016, 02:36

Hesedyahu wrote:How do I find out if my machine is EFI or not?
You mean Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (aka UEFI) by that I presume?

Since I don't won a PC or totebook with UEFI I cannot tell you. But since it is meant to replace BIOS, the prior booting OS stuff, that was BIOS, should not use the name BIOS at all, just startup your machine... mine e.g. says "press key KEY to go to BIOS" or similar, yours should say instead "press key KEY to go to UEFI" or similar instead.
And look into what your UEFI/settings screen looks like. It will have a title name, should have a version included, You then duckduckgo that and the results should tell you it's about UEFI.

As you can see, I follow the "teach others to be able to help themselves" approach, since I cannot help directly when not owning an UEFI machine by myself...

Also, since I don't won an UEFI, I not bothered to learn much about UEFI since I yet have no need for such knowledge... so I might be wrong with my own theories above...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hesedyahu
White ninja
White ninja

Post#22 by Hesedyahu » 21 Apr 2016, 01:01

Hi all

Just to let you know, at last success has been achieved. I'm not sure exactly how, but results are results.

I opened Porteus from a Live CD, download nekos usb installer as was suggested before (that is a fantastic application). At first I tried using the 32-bit version of Porteus and used the EFI option in nekos using a partition for the live USB stuff and leaving a partition available for storage. But when I booted up the computer with this, it totally ignored the CD and booted into windows.

Then I tried the 32-bit version of Porteus but selected the BIOS option in nekos using the same partition choice and BOOM! I was in! Fantastic. I've managed to connect to my home router and I can see and use the partition of the USB for storage. It's good. I've encountered another issue but that's for another post.

Either way, thank you all for your help and patience.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [Solved] Another "can't boot by USB"

Post#23 by Rava » 21 Apr 2016, 09:32

Hesedyahu, next time please change the title of the initial post to include "[Solved] " at the subject beginning to reflect that solved status to all readers.
This time I did it for you. Cheers
Cheers!
Yours Rava