[Solved] Has anybody's preexisting OS get corrupted?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
guest253
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Poreteus Nemesis

[Solved] Has anybody's preexisting OS get corrupted?

Post#1 by guest253 » 27 Feb 2016, 21:17

Hi everybody. I am new to Porteus and Linux and I am having an interesting problem.

I have successfully installed Porteus to my usb drive but after each install, my pre-existing OS on my laptop get corrupted and does not boot up anymore. Porteus works fine and I can boot it from the boot menu. However, the OS that I have installed onto my hard drive gets corrupted.

The method of installation I used was to copy the contents of the iso to my usb drive and to run the installer program/script in the boot folder inside my usb drive. After the installer program/script ends everything seems fine. The existing OS works without any trouble. However, after I rebooting, choosing "USB HDD: SAMSUNG FLASH DRIVE" from the boot menu, playing around with Porteus, and rebooting again, the existing OS will not boot up. I get errors something aorund the lines of "I/O erros from logical drive sda1" and "error of sector 0x00000".

Has this happened to anyone? Porteus works fine on the usb but the pre-existing OS will not boot up anymore.

EDIT: Thanks to tome's post I think I figured out what was wrong. I added the 'noauto' option to 'APPEND' lines in the porteus.cfg file and there seems to be no trouble.
Last edited by guest253 on 27 Feb 2016, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: Has anybody's preexisting OS get corrupted?

Post#2 by tome » 27 Feb 2016, 22:35

Find and look at cheatcodes.txt, next find and edit porteus.cfg and add noauto chaetcode. Your boot device will be mounted at /mnt/live/mnt/sdxY (instead of /mnt/sdxY). This should work for Porteus based on Slackware (I haven't tested this for Nemesis).
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

guest253
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Poreteus Nemesis

Post#3 by guest253 » 27 Feb 2016, 23:39

Hey thanks for the reply. I just tried doing what you said and it seems to have worked. I just reinstalled Porteus Nemesis to my usb again and it ran just fine. My Peppermint OS seems to running fine also. No loss of data as far as I can tell.

Thank you. Your solution worked.

If not having the noauto cheatcode on can mess up one's existing OS, how come it's not on by default? Since I am new to linux in general, I just decided to not mess around with the settings at all. I would not have thought of adding that setting to the boot options. Was I the only one who overlooked this?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: [Solved] Has anybody's preexisting OS get corrupted?

Post#4 by brokenman » 28 Feb 2016, 01:36

I have successfully installed Porteus to my usb drive but after each install, my pre-existing OS on my laptop get corrupted and does not boot up anymore. Porteus works fine and I can boot it from the boot menu. However, the OS that I have installed onto my hard drive gets corrupted.
It's not likely, unless you did didn't actually change into the boot directory before running the script. If you ran it from another place it would install a boot loader to there. There are plenty of warnings about this though.

As you noted, if this was a problem, other people would surely have noticed it very quickly.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#5 by Ed_P » 28 Feb 2016, 01:46

guest253 wrote:If not having the noauto cheatcode on can mess up one's existing OS, how come it's not on by default??
The nemesis version is still in development, not sure it is alpha stage yet at this point, so there are imperfections/tweaks/shortcomings that need to be fixed before it becomes the new base.
Ed